Offline Mode

reasons why it will never happend:

It will result to loss of their online store (microtransaction)

thats the way they earn Money and as a free to play game were your not buying the game means they have to gain Money to be able to keep running the game and servers.

i dont understand what you asking for, this is not diablo 1/2/3 were you actually were buying the game, this were free to play since you downloaded it and registrated a free account without a cost ;)

hope it explained enought
Last edited by marremurt on Nov 5, 2013, 4:49:26 PM
Still hoping GGG eventually change their minds about it

It will happen!!! one day...
"
Coal48 wrote:
Still hoping GGG eventually change their minds about it

It will happen!!! one day...

No it wont. Now go away.
Nope. Not going to happen. What will happen is that someone will see the demand for it and produce something just as good as PoE with an offline mode and we'll go play that. Someday. Until then, we put up with having to be online to play.
Hopefully they release the server code if they die.
"You can't bash someone else's shitty taste in music when you listen to 'grindcore'" -TheWretch̢
"
Making an offline mode means including versions of the server-side only code. It is not technically infeasible to make them subtly different or simply produce similar results than the online servers do. The attacks this could lead to might lead players to discover breakpoints of certain stats, and perhaps efficient places to farm. It would not, as is implied, give people the ability to give themselves whatever drops they want when playing online. Finally, when players discover something big, it gets patched. They're already in an effective position to adeptly respond to such issues. This reasoning only makes sense if offline mode were implemented in a strange and naive manner. Nobody is suggesting it be done that way.

I don't want to be rude, but the simple fact is that you just made most of that up without any real understanding of what you're saying. Almost everything about that paragraph is incorrect, and that renders the rest of the post irrelevant.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on Nov 5, 2013, 9:10:07 PM
I imagine if for some reason they are no longer able to support POE they will try to make it so we can still play. They tend to come off as pretty upstanding folk.

Access to ANY version of the server binary would allow widespread cheating fairly quickly. Between disassembly and reverse engineering, memory walking, and packet capturing/injection it would likely only be a matter of weeks or days before there would be a multitude of ways to cheat.

For an example of what access to the binary can do for you when breaking a security system, just look at the warez scene and how quickly and easily they destroy drm systems.
HAIL SATAN!
I've never understood the reason to cheat a game, and never ever understood the reason a game developer should be concerned about it. Did Monopoly have to put in safeguards against cheating? No. Did Chess? No. People either cheat or not depending on their personal choices. Why all this "security" nonsense in games these days?
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I've never understood the reason to cheat a game, and never ever understood the reason a game developer should be concerned about it. Did Monopoly have to put in safeguards against cheating? No. Did Chess? No. People either cheat or not depending on their personal choices. Why all this "security" nonsense in games these days?

Competitive monopoly (yes, that is an actual thing) and chess both have officials present during competitions to ensure rules aren't broken. Can't have a competition without rules, and can't have rules without enforcement.

Also, while this is pure uninformed speculation on my part, I'm going to take a wild guess and say there will come a time where there are PoE races that involve cash prizes. At that point, fairness becomes a legal requirement.

Edit: Just to prove I didn't make up the bit about monopoly.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwmPBP2JHI
Last edited by MonstaMunch on Nov 5, 2013, 10:46:55 PM
"
No it wont. Now go away.

If there one person who won't go away, it will sure as hell be me, I care about offline mode more than I care about anything else in this game, so better get used to see me bumping threads made about it.

Whether it matters or not, that won't keep me from trying.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info