[2.2] Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build) [not scion anymore]

Last edited by Punana on Feb 3, 2014, 12:49:45 PM
you won't get MUCH more dps from passives tree, you won't get MUCH more dps from gear either. The problem is that you don't understand the build. I see that from sockets you put in Quill Rain. Since you can be 1-shotted of some monster, you have to understand where you should shoot from distance and where you can go in to shotgun distance.
you definitely can get some easy upgrades to you gear though) 2.3k life is only good for docks or easy mods maps.
Playing with 70-80ms ping, which is causing long loading between zones,
resulting in 2-4 minutes disadvantage in 1 hour races.
(I was wrong, it wasn't a ping issue but something else on GGG side)

just tryed how this build works with PCoC and Carcass Jack too, not too bad) but I'm so used to Cold Snap+Fireball comboa that I couldn't switch to that. Even though it gives more HP and more resist and more mana. How to utilize that mana? Most likely put 1x60% and 1x40% aura on it. Haste/grace and vitality/purity then? That looks as very worthy replacement for loosing 1 dps spell from CoC, but requires extra 3 sockets for those aura. Must be no problem if you are running only 1 CoC trigger for all situations)
Free up for this great build.

I'm loving it. I am currently lvl89 and want to share some experience with this great char.

Gear

click me
Main:

Second Slot:

Flasks

Prices

click me

6L Quill Rain: 35ex
6L Volls Protector: 35 ex
Thiefs Torment: 5ex
Boots: 35ex
Amu: 10ex
Gloves: 2ex
Belt: self found
Rats Nest: Self found

Tree

Setup

Mutlitarget: Split Arrow > Chain > CoC > Arc > Ethereal Knives > Life gain on Hit
Singe Target: Barrage > GMP > CoC > Fireball > Artic Breath > Concentrated Effect
Survivability I: CWDT > Enduring Cry > Immortal Call > Temporal chains
Survivability II: Flame Totem > GMP > Blind > Knockback
Support: Haste > Grace > Reduced Mana > Criticial Weakness

Main Skills

For Multitarget I decided not to use a third spell but a "Life gain on Hit"-gem, making it possible to play elemental reflect maps. Ethereal Knives + Life gain on Hit + 5%life leech works very well for me.

Single target dps is amazing. Most bosses die before they can do anything. It is only difficult to obtain on heavy hitters, e.g. bosses in residence, academy, courtyard are very hard or still not manageable. The skill setup requires to stand close but for those bosses this means death. But many players skip those, too, or die :)

Explanation

The damage output is awesome. Usually the party players are running behind me and are complaining about the lags. I have only seen Flicker Stricker and Wander which show up with a higher clear speed.

Survivability could be better (life is at ~3k). But with more than 70 Life gain on Hit, Life Leech, cwdt and knockback/blind-totem and a good portion of care I can do (nearly) everything.

I decided to use rats nest because I like every single suffix of it, but it has no life. Also Quiver and amu have no life, but I plan to eternal-ex the quiver with maxlife. The resists are capped, which explains my gloves focusing on acc, attack speed and life.

Accuracy

Currently, I am using 3 accuracy nodes (Acuity). Here is the reason: If I stand close to mobs I can shoot 10-20 times without triggering any spell. Specing accuracy did not improve this behavior, so I will respec those points. I usually solve it by moving away from the monster and shooting from a more distant point. But what is that? Does anyone have an idea?

Thx for reading. Feedback & Answers would be nice. Hope you enjoy the ideas, although my build is very close to Wurpos Build explained in the first post of this thread.
IGN ................... MikeManning
Alt Art Stuff ....... view-thread/1401085
Shop ................. view-thread/536289
Boost-Service .... view-thread/543033
Gilde ................. view-thread/817890
"
pasta777 wrote:
Hope you enjoy the ideas, although my build is very close to Wurpos Build explained in the first post of this thread.

It is idd very minor variation of the build and doesn't bring any new ideas to the build. I don't see where is frenzy in your gear, are you even using it? Accuracy is useless for build. I wouldn't believe you about being safe with 3k life, from my experience there is a lot of stuff that will 1-shot that health pool. How is EK not killing you on reflect? are you playing super safe then?

You may not trigger spells with shoots because there are desyncs sometimes, but most likely it's because there are bad luck streaks. You saying 10-20 shoots not triggering spells, do you mean 10-20 sets of barrage? That shouldn't happen almost ever. Situation when 4-5 sets of barrage won't trigger spells is pretty normal. Crit chance for barrage is being calculated once for whole set.
Accuracy is very much not useless. To actually get a critical hit, you need to pass a crit chance roll to have any chance, then accuracy to hit a mob and then accuracy again to confirm the crit. You're losing a lot of potential if you don't get accuracy from every item you can.

"
pasta777 wrote:
Accuracy

Currently, I am using 3 accuracy nodes (Acuity). Here is the reason: If I stand close to mobs I can shoot 10-20 times without triggering any spell. Specing accuracy did not improve this behavior, so I will respec those points. I usually solve it by moving away from the monster and shooting from a more distant point. But what is that? Does anyone have an idea?

You might be desynced and not actually firing precisely at the mob's direction. Close up Barrage cone is narrow enough that it might not hit at all. At longer distances the spray will hit them even if they're not at the center of the arc.
Last edited by Ornedan on Feb 4, 2014, 5:42:45 AM
"
kefirhl wrote:

Accuracy is useless for build.

Why?

"
kefirhl wrote:

I don't see where is frenzy in your gear, are you even using it?

No Frenzy for me, thats correct.

"
kefirhl wrote:

I wouldn't believe you about being safe with 3k life

I managed somehow to get lvl89 with this char. After lvl90 I will stop lvling. Yes, I die sometimes. Whats your suggestion to improve life. My ideas is quiver with life and 3 acuity nodes on life. I will end up with 3.5k life, which isn't much more. On which page can I find your setup and skill tree?

"
kefirhl wrote:

How is EK not killing you on reflect? are you playing super safe then?

I quote myself "For Multitarget I decided not to use a third spell but a "Life gain on Hit"-gem, making it possible to play elemental reflect maps. "

Its different on physical reflect. I dont one-shot myself but for security I replace EK by Faster Attacks. Split Arrow and Barrage with their procs will do enough dmg.

I skip Double reflect maps.

"
kefirhl wrote:

You saying 10-20 shoots not triggering spells, do you mean 10-20 sets of barrage?

Nope. The trigger rate of barrage is damn good. I spoke about Split Arrow, when I stand close to a mob pack. I doubt, that the reason is desync, i would realize when my char is desynced. Maybe its not the accuracy as you suggest. I have the feeling I cant trigger when I got hit rapidly. Maybe its due to some blocking or dodging animation? Shooting and LifegainonHit works, but not the triggering.

In Short: The trigger rate differs if I stand close to or far from a mob pack.

Maybe its the mechanics of Split Arrow+Chain?

"
Ornedan wrote:
Accuracy is very much not useless. To actually get a critical hit, you need to pass a crit chance roll to have any chance, then accuracy to hit a mob and then accuracy again to confirm the crit. You're losing a lot of potential if you don't get accuracy from every item you can.

You might be desynced and not actually firing precisely at the mob's direction. Close up Barrage cone is narrow enough that it might not hit at all. At longer distances the spray will hit them even if they're not at the center of the arc.

That is very similar to my experience. So maybe I have to do this step back generally.

Thanks for your comments.
IGN ................... MikeManning
Alt Art Stuff ....... view-thread/1401085
Shop ................. view-thread/536289
Boost-Service .... view-thread/543033
Gilde ................. view-thread/817890
Last edited by pasta777 on Feb 4, 2014, 6:20:46 AM
"
Ornedan wrote:

have you made such calculations or it's your experience? With my current gear setup accuracy gives very minor dps increase compaired to other stats(attack speed, crit chance, crit multi, even fire dmg on amulet would be much more desirable than accuracy rating)

"
pasta777 wrote:
"
kefirhl wrote:

Accuracy is useless for build.

Why?

my calculations and game experience saying so) 300accuracy only gives around 4% chance to hit which at 50% chance to crit gives only 2% dps increasement. While other posssible suffix slot stats(attack speed, crit chance, crit multi are giving over 5%). 5 Frenzy stacks would increase your dps for over than 15%, but have to watch to keep them on, maybe this is why you didn't go for it.

"
pasta777 wrote:

"
kefirhl wrote:

I wouldn't believe you about being safe with 3k life

I managed somehow to get lvl89 with this char. After lvl90 I will stop lvling. Yes, I die sometimes. Whats your suggestion to improve life. My ideas is quiver with life and 3 acuity nodes on life. I will end up with 3.5k life, which isn't much more. On which page can I find your setup and skill tree?

I'm playing shadow and it's little harder to get those easy life nodes

"
pasta777 wrote:
"
kefirhl wrote:

How is EK not killing you on reflect? are you playing super safe then?

I quote myself "For Multitarget I decided not to use a third spell but a "Life gain on Hit"-gem, making it possible to play elemental reflect maps. "

Its different on physical reflect. I dont one-shot myself but for security I replace EK by Faster Attacks. Split Arrow and Barrage with their procs will do enough dmg.

I skip Double reflect maps.

for maps you can always prepair and remove the EK, I'm talking about suddenly arrived rare monster with phys reflect aura just when you shot a set of arrows into big pack. I'm almost 1-shotting(sometimes I am 1-shotting) my 4.5k life 75% resist when that is happening with ele reflect mob. 3k life 0 armor must be just 100% 1-shot death since EK is doing so much more damage. Am I right about it?
"
kefirhl wrote:
"
Ornedan wrote:

have you made such calculations or it's your experience? With my current gear setup accuracy gives very minor dps increase compaired to other stats(attack speed, crit chance, crit multi, even fire dmg on amulet would be much more desirable than accuracy rating)

Experience from wearing a 30% crit chance amulet vs. ~250 accuracy amulet. The accuracy one felt better. And calculations: 95% accuracy gives about 10% less crits than the theoretical maximum, 90% accuracy 19% less and 80% accuracy 36% less. 90% accuracy is a realistic target to aim for with good gear and one accuracy cluster's worth of passive investment. A higher effective crit rate translates to both higher and more reliable damage output - the streaks of no spell procs suck and it's totally worth the effort to minimise them.

You're using a Quill Rain, right? How is flat fire damage making any noticeable difference in your DPS? I guess tooltip DPS, but that still doesn't account for the spell procs, does it?
"
Experience from wearing a 30% crit chance amulet vs. ~250 accuracy amulet. The accuracy one felt better. And calculations: 95% accuracy gives about 10% less crits than the theoretical maximum, 90% accuracy 19% less and 80% accuracy 36% less.

what, why is that?
95% chance to hit, 50% chance to crit. I hit 95/100 arrows, I crit 47,5/95. 47,5 is 5% less than 50%, why you are saying 10%?
90% chance to hit, 50% chance to crit, I hit 90/100 arrows, I crit 45/90 arrows. 45 is 10% less than 50, why you are saying 19%?
80% chance to hit, 50% chance to crit, I hit 80/100 arrows, I crit 40/80 arrows. 40 is 20% less than 50, why are you saying 36%?
Last edited by kefirhl on Feb 4, 2014, 9:44:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info