[2.2] Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build) [not scion anymore]

"

Something along these lines?

http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgMABUIOSBGWEdsWQBmFGmwfAiSqJpUo-ilPLJwtHy9vNZI2xTbpOuFBh0GWRKtHBkrITLNN41AwVUtVrlZKXfJirGNDbRlte26qcFJwu3DVf8aCEIKbgseC5IV9iPGKr4wLjDaOZI-mkBGVBJitnWOdo52qna6eoaKjpLGmV6cIrFmus6-btDi1SLXytvq3PriTuXzAUcHzwuzQOdVP1p3YJNkT2t3bXt5337DjauOE5CLlGeWO52Pr7uyw8kXy4fPq96b56Pv1_Kv-Cv6P

yeah, something like that

@0flip
I thought the same about crits at first. But after all it doesn´t really matter if you are having 95% crit at 1.5 attkspd or 50% at 3.0. (only an example).
A friend of mine is using a wand and it works just fine for him. But since he isn´t hitting nearly as often as me, he is not using thiefs torment. So he is way more squishy. He can´t use split arrow as well, so he has to use a gmp with power siphon. He tried barrage now and then, but somehow its not working as good as for me. His Wand is btw. totally ridiculous. With 10% crit, 1.6+ attkspd and +100% spelldamage.

But generally speaking both of them work great and are pretty strong.

Elemental Reflect enemies haven´t been a problem till now with thiefs torment alone (those are hell without thiefs torment). Lightning thorns on the other hand suck. But that goes for most characters. I usually run away and wait until it wears off.

Last edited by dasGute on Jan 12, 2014, 8:29:49 AM
"
feyith wrote:
Thanks for this template. I'm running a variation with Death's Harp (for the extra arrow and increased physical damage to leech with) using Barrage with Chain and a spell from each element. May I ask why you prefer Arctic Breath vs Ice Spear? Ice Spear seems to keep my Power Charges maxed.

A shot of 5 ice spears won't let all 5 hit the same target, only one.

Arctic breath and fireball are both AoE exposives, so they'll all blow up in the face of the enemy you're trying to kill.
"
0flip wrote:
I've tried this kind of a build a while ago with a wand, except my character was much more of a glass cannon, and I went CI ( going Life is probably better though ).

In my opinion, wands are better, the downside is you need high int but you can get that with a unique amulet too. It's all about getting crits per second for me, Quill rain does have the second 6L advantage though however only 5% crit chance which makes it suck for triggering crits. I've had maxed crit with this wand ( with power charges ) that's 95%. Also you can equip a shield which is a major advantage. Thoughts? You can easily get better stats for damage with a wand, more AS, more crit, more spell damage, more spell crit, etc.

How are you guys staying alive vs elemental reflect, just a life leech gem? Thief's torment won't keep you alive on lightning thorns. Any solutions to that? I mean i can almost oneshot kuduku on merciless, but I also oneshot myself at just act 3 when i hit a guy with lightning thorns too often.

I haven't played for a while but seeing the recent changes, would I have to remove arctic breath and replace it with something to make fireball do more damage, or maybe a life leech? Is the cooldown on the spell, or on the cast on critical strike gem? As in can you still trigger two spells with one crit?

The barrage portion of my build was untouched by the change. 10 ms is incredibly quick, and it essentially only impacts lightning arrow's ability to proc 4 times per arrow explosion.

Additionally, wands will never reach the attack speed the quill rain will get.
Last edited by Wurps on Jan 12, 2014, 10:41:00 PM
"
Wurps wrote:
A shot of 5 ice spears won't let all 5 hit the same target, only one.

Arctic breath and fireball are both AoE exposives, so they'll all blow up in the face of the enemy you're trying to kill.

Ah, that makes sense. So if I run Barrage with Chain instead of Split Arrow with Multiple, do I still need to worry about shotgun restrictions? Thanks again! :)
Great Build, loving it! I was wandering for an Hardcore version, if instead of going vaal pact + life leech, going LGOH support gem (up to 80 lgoh with thiefs torment) would be viable against reflect. (SA + Chain + CoC + LGOH + Cold Snap + Arc).
Has anybody tested this? Having a blast with this build but I hate rerolling great 75+ maps with 100%+ IIQ because of reflect.

Thanks again!
IGN: Std -> Hossina (lv100 Scion)
Talisman -> Voltaxina (lv96 Ranger)

GMT +1, Central Europe
Last edited by Hossdelgado on Jan 15, 2014, 10:07:05 AM

Path of Exile - Quill Rain - Cast On Critical Strike
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/757783

Video is included, Skill Tree/Gems other stuff...
Last edited by Killia on Jan 15, 2014, 7:43:00 PM
I feel like 5L(barrage coc gmp arc fireball) is enough for this build, don't think it's really worth wasting another 6 sockets for variation of damaging skill, but nothing else came to my mind yet. Maybe put Power Charge on crit as 6th link to my setup and get Kaoms Heart. Dunno.

My current variation is to pick Charisma and Influece to run purity and grace on mana and clarity on health(with blood magic+reduced mana it's eating 500health and will be less when I level gems, 15 and 17 atm). So I'm capped on resist easely and dont need to buy tripple resist stuff.

Still have too many unorgonized ideas about this build, will share later)

Regarding barrage I have a question though!
It looks to me that if crit rolls for barrage then it applies to whole set of 8 arrows, is miss working the same way? it looks to me that miss is being calculated separately for each arrow. If that is true build does not really need accuracy since missing 1-2 of 8 arrows would not hurt dps too much. In other words increasing accuracy from 80% to 90% would only increase the dps by 10% but you'd need to increase accuracy by 1000 rating to reach 90%. It doesnt looks worth picking up accuracy nodes to me. Plus missed arrow can always fly to another target and land a hit there)
Playing with 70-80ms ping, which is causing long loading between zones,
resulting in 2-4 minutes disadvantage in 1 hour races.
(I was wrong, it wasn't a ping issue but something else on GGG side)
I dunno about that, I feel that this would be rather low survivability with just the barrage link, the amount of hits you get on a reflect pack is far lower than on a split arrow + chain combo, and so the life you get back is much less. I currently run with two 5L Quill Rains, using weapon switch when I want to switch attack (due to pain in the ass colouring on my 5L volls, which currently just hold a CWDT combo and a spare gem, still leveling the char).
If you want to use Barrage as your only option, Piercing Arrows notable is a pretty good option for clearing packs.
IGN: NNQQ, Sporkay, Rands_
and ye, as ppl already mentioned in the thread I'm thinking to remove arc from barrage 5L too, would test spark and ethereal knives as they both would benefit from GMP and proj damage and dexterity bonus, but long way too level those. Ethereal Knives would be looking interesting with Wrath and Lifeleech.
also thinking about berek's grip, if I can use that for life leeching from frozen enemies

also Quality CoC gives extra 20% crit chance?! dunno where that crit chance would go, to spell or to barrage but eather way it looks huge to me.
Playing with 70-80ms ping, which is causing long loading between zones,
resulting in 2-4 minutes disadvantage in 1 hour races.
(I was wrong, it wasn't a ping issue but something else on GGG side)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info