[2.2] Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build) [not scion anymore]

Nvm, I have no idea. GGG needs to clarify their mechanics, this is quite silly.
Last edited by sepiacalamari on Jan 11, 2014, 6:32:39 AM
TLDR: Details below but the short of it is that I am not sure if I should spend points going down to grab elemental equilibrium and unwavering stance, or wear eye of chayula and spec into other nodes.

So I'm doing a similar build, starting as a witch though. I'm pure elemental. Ice spear and fireball for the most part. I was wondering, as such, if you guys think I should spend the points to go down to elemental equilibrium, and then continue going down to pick up unwavering stance? That is what I did in the build below:

As my two spells are fireball and ice spear, there would be a lot of alternating hits between the two, each one making the enemy vulnerable to the next spell. (in theory)

http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgMAAecFQg5IEZYXVB8CIoEkPCaVJ6ko-iqNLJwtHy9vNZI2ezbFNtg26EGHQZZEq0WdRwZJO0lRTLNQMFVLVa5WSlivWm1d8l76YqxjQ20ZbXtwUnC7cNV4DXqqf8aCEIIegseHZYhCiPGMC4w2jjyPpo_6lQSXhZitmuCcLZ1jnaOdqp6hn8uio6SxpwinXKlurFmus6-btKO1SLXytz64k7l8wFHB88Ls1p3YJNkT2t3bC9te37DjhOWO52Pr7uxV7LDyHfLh-ej8q_4K

Thing is, if I didn't do this I would have a shitload of points to spend elsewhere, although no elemental proliferation and I would need eye of chayula. I could do something like this:

http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgMABUIOSBGWFkAWbxdUF9gZhRo4GmwfAiKBJDwkqiaVJ6kpTyqNLJwtHy9vNns2xTbYNulBlkSrRwZJO0lRTLNQMFVLVa5VxlZKWm1d8l76YqxjQ2aebRlte3BScLtw1X_GghCCHoKbhX2HZYhCjAuMNo48j0aPpo_6kFWVBJeFnC2dY52jnaqdrp6hoqOksacIp1ynhK6zr5u0o7VIuXzAGsBRwfPC7M9l0DnQ0Nad2CTZE9sL217fsONq44TljuxV7LDyHfLh8-r60vyr
Last edited by Shmoo11 on Jan 11, 2014, 5:48:21 PM
you plan to use bow with this?

Not enough ACC, not enough crit chance, no resistance nodes, not enough mana to run aura, alot of wasted points on spell damage, your going to die with that build.

your ACC will be like 70%
your crit chance will be like 25% with 6 power charges
resistances in negatives.

"
TLDR: Details below but the short of it is that I am not sure if I should spend points going down to grab elemental equilibrium and unwavering stance, or wear eye of chayula and spec into other nodes.

So I'm doing a similar build, starting as a witch though. I'm pure elemental. Ice spear and fireball for the most part. I was wondering, as such, if you guys think I should spend the points to go down to elemental equilibrium, and then continue going down to pick up unwavering stance? That is what I did in the build below:

As my two spells are fireball and ice spear, there would be a lot of alternating hits between the two, each one making the enemy vulnerable to the next spell. (in theory)

http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgMAAecFQg5IEZYXVB8CIoEkPCaVJ6ko-iqNLJwtHy9vNZI2ezbFNtg26EGHQZZEq0WdRwZJO0lRTLNQMFVLVa5WSlivWm1d8l76YqxjQ20ZbXtwUnC7cNV4DXqqf8aCEIIegseHZYhCiPGMC4w2jjyPpo_6lQSXhZitmuCcLZ1jnaOdqp6hn8uio6SxpwinXKlurFmus6-btKO1SLXytz64k7l8wFHB88Ls1p3YJNkT2t3bC9te37DjhOWO52Pr7uxV7LDyHfLh-ej8q_4K

Thing is, if I didn't do this I would have a shitload of points to spend elsewhere, although no elemental proliferation and I would need eye of chayula. I could do something like this:

http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgMABUIOSBGWFkAWbxdUF9gZhRo4GmwfAiKBJDwkqiaVJ6kpTyqNLJwtHy9vNns2xTbYNulBlkSrRwZJO0lRTLNQMFVLVa5VxlZKWm1d8l76YqxjQ2aebRlte3BScLtw1X_GghCCHoKbhX2HZYhCjAuMNo48j0aPpo_6kFWVBJeFnC2dY52jnaqdrp6hoqOksacIp1ynhK6zr5u0o7VIuXzAGsBRwfPC7M9l0DnQ0Nad2CTZE9sL217fsONq44TljuxV7LDyHfLh8-r60vyr
Last edited by Killia on Jan 11, 2014, 6:50:46 PM
Most resists come from gear, and my crit chance with quill rain will be over 50%. Much less than with a wand, but I'm getting 4.XX attacks per second with quill rain vs. 2.xx attacks per second with a wand. I do have enough mana to run dual auras already and I'm only level 55 at the moment, spell damage is not a waste, especially considering the frequency with which my spells will crit. I'm only 55 and very OP. I just want to know if I should go for elemental equilibrium and unwavering stance, or use the eye ammy and spend the points elsewhere...

"
Killia wrote:
you plan to use bow with this?

Not enough ACC, not enough crit chance, no resistance nodes, not enough mana to run aura, alot of wasted points on spell damage, your going to die with that build.

your ACC will be like 70%
your crit chance will be like 25% with 6 power charges
resistances in negatives.

"

@your_mouth:

i´d really like to see your equipment.

And i am curious about your ice/fire-damage-nodes. They all buff only their respective spell, so the effect is definitely lower than elemental-damage- and spell-damage-nodes. There are also some details i don´t get, like for example, why do you take the life-nodes in the upper-right (near Pain Attunement), using 5 points for 3 life nodes (+10Int, +15%crit), while there are still some available in the scion-region. Same goes for the ones left of pain attunement (or do you need the Str?)

As far as elemental-equilibrium is concerned, i think it gives you some potential damage boost, but since it will never work out perfectly (fire-ice-fire-ice) i wouldn´t spend this many points to get there. And unwavering stance might be nice but not worth it, if you play in a party(from my experience). Especially if you (or somebody in your party) uses blind. So without knowing your equipment, your links and your party, i´d say no. But i might be wrong.

But i am pretty sure, that your build might work out just fine (if you indeed have the equipment).

-------------

btw. how viable is the flame totem on high levels after the changes? It seems to shoot way slower. Does the knockback still work?
Last edited by dasGute on Jan 11, 2014, 9:22:19 PM
Thanks for this template. I'm running a variation with Death's Harp (for the extra arrow and increased physical damage to leech with) using Barrage with Chain and a spell from each element. May I ask why you prefer Arctic Breath vs Ice Spear? Ice Spear seems to keep my Power Charges maxed.
Last edited by feyith on Jan 11, 2014, 10:57:18 PM
"
dasGute wrote:
@your_mouth:

i´d really like to see your equipment.

And i am curious about your ice/fire-damage-nodes. They all buff only their respective spell, so the effect is definitely lower than elemental-damage- and spell-damage-nodes. There are also some details i don´t get, like for example, why do you take the life-nodes in the upper-right (near Pain Attunement), using 5 points for 3 life nodes (+10Int, +15%crit), while there are still some available in the scion-region. Same goes for the ones left of pain attunement (or do you need the Str?)

As far as elemental-equilibrium is concerned, i think it gives you some potential damage boost, but since it will never work out perfectly (fire-ice-fire-ice) i wouldn´t spend this many points to get there. And unwavering stance might be nice but not worth it, if you play in a party(from my experience). Especially if you (or somebody in your party) uses blind. So without knowing your equipment, your links and your party, i´d say no. But i might be wrong.

But i am pretty sure, that your build might work out just fine (if you indeed have the equipment).

-------------

btw. how viable is the flame totem on high levels after the changes? It seems to shoot way slower. Does the knockback still work?

Hey thanks for catching the poor life node choices and the ele/spell vs fire/cold nodes, this is my first character who does any elemental damage (besides hatred), or messes at all around with that part of the tree. I made some changes, replacing a few of the cold/fire nodes with spell/elemental nodes. I also used the life nodes around the scion tree instead of the group by pain attunement as you suggested.

http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgMAAecFQg5IEZYfAiQ8JpUnqSj6LJwtHy9vNZI2xTboOuFBh0GWRKtFnUcGSVFMs03jUDBVS1WuVkpYr1ptXfJe-mKsY0NtGW17cFJwu3DVeA16qn_GghCCHoLHh2WIQojxjAuMNo-mlQSYrZrgnC2dY52jnaqeoZ_LoqOksaZXpwinXKlurFmus6-btDi1SLXytz64k7l8wFHB88Ls1U_Wndgk2RPa3dsL217ed9-w44TlGeWO52Pr7uyw8h3yRfLh-ej79fyr_gr-jw==

The elemental equilibrium seems to be helping a lot as I have spec'd into it already. Most of the time it actually does work out favorably in terms of fire/ice/fire/ice, and the -50% resist is a much greater dmg boost than the +25% resistance damage reduction. Also, I plan on using an ammy with "adds # x-x lightning damage". This will cause elemental equilibrium to weaken enemies to both fire and ice when the enemy gets lightning resistance, which doesn't matter as none of my heavy DPS is lightning.

As for gear, this is what I am using at the moment:
Spoiler

I don't have an end-game ammy or belt yet, but I have a feeling it will be mostly resists, life, and crit chance. Accuracy if possible. This is my end game quiver and wand, I do still need a second end-game wand though and I got this quiver and wand for very cheap, I will be getting upgrades when I get to it though:

I assume you are using thiefs torment as well (i don´t know any other method to get this much mana regeneration). So if you have a perfect Thiefs Torment with 24% to all elements, you will be around 0% Lighnting- and Fire-resistance at merciless. Your cold will be -30-something. So you would need a really remarkable amulet, belt, quiver AND purity (and NO way to use the eye ammy). I got myself a handfull of resistance nodes (even one more than Wurpos build) and i still can´t take off my Goldrim (36%). And i even use purity at the moment (lightning res is a bit low).

Its nice that elemental equilibrium works out. Maybe i try that someday as well. But considering your resistances (and your overall defence), i think you won´t need unwavering stance. Think about not using unwavering stance, and grabing all that resistance nodes you are passing by instead (theres quite a lot).

Your accuracy will be very low as well. Your 30% ACC-node won´t help much with that either, cause you wont have any base-accuracy to enhance. So another must-have for your items.

Oh, and that critical strike chance beside bloodthirst has only 15%. You could get a 20% just below Assassination (even though it´s probably not noticable in the end)

Ah, yes and what Auras are you planing to use? I guess purity will be a necessity, so that leaves only... grace? If i am right, den scrap those 3 points in influence and get Sentinel.

But to be honest, i would probably go with your alternative build in the templar-region. Even though you should rework that one as well. If you do, you can scrap those other fire- and cold-damage-nodes and get another load of elemental-damage-nodes and even Arcane-Potency.
"
dasGute wrote:
I assume you are using thiefs torment as well (i don´t know any other method to get this much mana regeneration). So if you have a perfect Thiefs Torment with 24% to all elements, you will be around 0% Lighnting- and Fire-resistance at merciless. Your cold will be -30-something. So you would need a really remarkable amulet, belt, quiver AND purity (and NO way to use the eye ammy). I got myself a handfull of resistance nodes (even one more than Wurpos build) and i still can´t take off my Goldrim (36%). And i even use purity at the moment (lightning res is a bit low).

Its nice that elemental equilibrium works out. Maybe i try that someday as well. But considering your resistances (and your overall defence), i think you won´t need unwavering stance. Think about not using unwavering stance, and grabing all that resistance nodes you are passing by instead (theres quite a lot).

Your accuracy will be very low as well. Your 30% ACC-node won´t help much with that either, cause you wont have any base-accuracy to enhance. So another must-have for your items.

Oh, and that critical strike chance beside bloodthirst has only 15%. You could get a 20% just below Assassination (even though it´s probably not noticable in the end)

Ah, yes and what Auras are you planing to use? I guess purity will be a necessity, so that leaves only... grace? If i am right, den scrap those 3 points in influence and get Sentinel.

But to be honest, i would probably go with your alternative build in the templar-region. Even though you should rework that one as well. If you do, you can scrap those other fire- and cold-damage-nodes and get another load of elemental-damage-nodes and even Arcane-Potency.

Something along these lines?

http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgMABUIOSBGWEdsWQBmFGmwfAiSqJpUo-ilPLJwtHy9vNZI2xTbpOuFBh0GWRKtHBkrITLNN41AwVUtVrlZKXfJirGNDbRlte26qcFJwu3DVf8aCEIKbgseC5IV9iPGKr4wLjDaOZI-mkBGVBJitnWOdo52qna6eoaKjpLGmV6cIrFmus6-btDi1SLXytvq3PriTuXzAUcHzwuzQOdVP1p3YJNkT2t3bXt5337DjauOE5CLlGeWO52Pr7uyw8kXy4fPq96b56Pv1_Kv-Cv6P
Last edited by Shmoo11 on Jan 12, 2014, 7:53:56 AM
I've tried this kind of a build a while ago with a wand, except my character was much more of a glass cannon, and I went CI ( going Life is probably better though ).

In my opinion, wands are better, the downside is you need high int but you can get that with a unique amulet too. It's all about getting crits per second for me, Quill rain does have the second 6L advantage though however only 5% crit chance which makes it suck for triggering crits. I've had maxed crit with this wand ( with power charges ) that's 95%. Also you can equip a shield which is a major advantage. Thoughts? You can easily get better stats for damage with a wand, more AS, more crit, more spell damage, more spell crit, etc.

How are you guys staying alive vs elemental reflect, just a life leech gem? Thief's torment won't keep you alive on lightning thorns. Any solutions to that? I mean i can almost oneshot kuduku on merciless, but I also oneshot myself at just act 3 when i hit a guy with lightning thorns too often.

I haven't played for a while but seeing the recent changes, would I have to remove arctic breath and replace it with something to make fireball do more damage, or maybe a life leech? Is the cooldown on the spell, or on the cast on critical strike gem? As in can you still trigger two spells with one crit?
IGN SNEEDFINDER
Last edited by 0flip on Jan 12, 2014, 7:59:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info