[2.2] Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build) [not scion anymore]

Last edited by Killia on Jan 11, 2014, 9:16:33 PM
@dangtaithu
http://i.imgur.com/VxXUIU3.jpg
unbuffed

@AuemNigri
I use arc because it has no travel time and it has a large bounce range to clean up packs of enemies, it also has low lag. It also shocks and does pretty good damage.

@Eninya
Needs testing, it would help though.
Just wanted to post a quick update and say that I tried the wands and really wasn't impressed. I'm still poor, but thankfully I've found another way to use the same basic tree with dual ungil gauches and have a nice viable variant until I can afford the thief's torment. I'm currently 68 and plowing through 66 and 67 maps with ease with this.

I got lucky and found a crappy 5-link EV chest a long time ago, which I have spectral throw, CoC, EK, EK, and power charge on crit in. I also have frenzy, CoC, Life Leech, and Cold Snap for single targets and to get frenzy charges. Blood dance boots for the life regen, then resists on the helm, gloves, and rings and you're good to go. ST crits like crazy with 6 power charges and because I don't have LMP or GMP the EKs do insane damage. For phys reflect I use the bear trap and frenzy.

Turns out basically nothing hits you when you have >30% evasion, 40% dodge and 55% block, and a CoDT or cast on stunned mitigates what damage you do take substantially.

I still have some mana issues even with a cheap skill like ST, but I'm heading toward the ranger mana / projectile / life cluster to solve that and boost my EK and ST range an damage. Everything here is self found except the blood dance boots which I got for 2 chaos.

Tree:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABA5YEfgW1BdMIZwzyDkgRlhXwFr8ZohzcJP0mlS0fMHEwfDGeNZI2PTpCOlg7KD7PRnFKyEt4TDJMs03jUDBQQlFHVUtaUmBDYeJjQ20ZbXtuPW6qcFJ_K3_GguSDCYfbiGuI8YqvjDaNv5ARkyebXZ2joi6io6XLpleomqlurFm0DLVItfK31r3mwFHB88ai1CPWithN217dqOOE5AjnVPKX8-r5Y_yr_o8=

Gear for reference:
Last edited by Tamale on Dec 31, 2013, 3:35:28 PM
"
Wurps wrote:
@Eninya

Do you think running a level 1 CWDT is optimal for end game survival, or would it be more practical to level it some for get increased base duration on Immortal Call?
As a way to handle reflect damage, even the 0.6 or whatever duration you get is enough - you just need to be able to survive the blast of reflected damage because you'll typically leech back up to full health immediately after.
"
Eninya wrote:
"
Wurps wrote:
@Eninya

Do you think running a level 1 CWDT is optimal for end game survival, or would it be more practical to level it some for get increased base duration on Immortal Call?

It's probably fine to keep it at level 1, also I would probably use CWDT+EC+EC+IC personally, two ECs would be double duration and probably enough for any EK projectiles to fade away even at a distance
Hey Wurpo,

I was wondering what your take is on wands/CI/not using Voll's. Right now I am running a lvl66 shadow:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAAv4FtQX5DPIOSA6tES8RlhR1FdcV8BjbGdUhYCT9KLUqOCy_LR8wfDMMNj074T7PQKBCw0OcRwZMs1AwUUdd8l8qX2pjQ20ZcFJw1XRBdFV08XfXfM5_K3_GhTKGrohrjDaNv5cGmZqdo6KjpcunK7Q4tve95sBRwcXB88Lsw23EotUA1U_bXt5334Ti9-OE5RnnVOtj6-TsGO9O8uHz6vlj-_X8q_4r_94=

I have hit 90% crit and I really love the consistent DPS but I don't know if it will be viable in the long run. Is having much higher APS but half the crit worth it? This is my current gear. CI is clearly much harder to use as I am having some trouble with survive-ability any advice? Eventually the Rasa would be changed for a Carnal Armor with high ES.

Wands and quill rain have roughly equal crits per second. Volls is the best chest for either build.
My favourite build I have done to date by far!

And I still have many talent points + gems to level + gear to upgrade :)

Barrage kills piety in less than 1 second easy at this current point of time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HliTLsBXbSA&feature=youtu.be

My current setup is

I personally think Rat's Nest is much better than Starks.
5% AS, 50% crit, ~400 evasion rating, 10% movement speed and up to 25% rarity thrown in, this all to sacrifice +90 HP (which would probably add up to about 210 approximate bonus).
I think its better until you get a godlike GG rare helm of course.

Also, even though this build stomps single target it's strength is amazingly in pack / group clearing, and I highly recommend anyone who is going to try this build ALSO tries using fireball in the place of arc.

I suggest trying:
fireball + ice spear (even with 6 link)
fireball + cold snap.

The insane damage bonus you get having both fireball + ice spear not only shooting 5 projectiles each time, but also chaining is absolutely crazy.
Fireball moreso than ice spear because 5 projectiles each hit and have their own AOE around them which are each overlapping, and on top of that they also chain repeating this. Also on top of that, fireball has a higher base crit chance making it about 33% more likely to crit than arc or cold snap. Subsequentally you get MUCH more damage than arc, at the sacrifice of losing FPS and having to wait for projectiles to hit. In my opinion it highly pays off unless you are in groups of 5 others where people will want to punch your face in for making their computers freeze.

I've noticed that most people seem to be overlooking accuracy rating, it is VERY important to have at least some. I cannot stress enough.
If you have little to no bonus (emphasis on little) accuracy, getting 30% (tier 2 roll) crit chance on your quiver is LESS IMPORTANT than getting 330 accuracy (tier 2 roll) (providing you have a decent amount of crit). That accuracy will bring your hit chance from about 73% to 81% approximately. a 8% higher chance to hit is much better than a 1.5% higher chance to crit.
e.g. 686 accuracy rating adding 330 = ~1050.
I tested this in game and it brought my chance to hit from 73% to 81%. Versus crit overall chance from 47% to 45.5%. Now let's compare:
0.73 * 0.470 = 34.31% chance to hit AND crit versus
0.81 * 0.455 = 36.86% chance to hit AND crit.
This is a HUGE improvement.
BUT, do not bother getting too much more accuracy. Adding another 200 on top of this only add 3% chance to hit and is not better than lets say 30% crit chance (about even).

For anyone wondering I currently sit at 47.7% crit chance + 470% multiplier (on lightning arrow) and I only use one of my 3 leftover 4 links with Cast on Stun linked to any curse (currently temporal chains). I have not yet worked out what I want linked.

TL:DR-
Try fireball in place of arc (huge DPS increase), and make sure you have at least 1000 accuracy rating (IMPORTANT, ALSO HUGE DPS INCREASE!).

Ty for this awesome build!
Last edited by rependant on Jan 1, 2014, 9:41:18 AM
^ Wow, quite the information you've provided. I'll keep that in mind as I'm leveling, thank you very much! :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info