[2.2] Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build) [not scion anymore]

"
Iyacthu wrote:
What about NOT using Voll's (Power Charges gained through Power Charge on Crit' support) and actually getting a decent armor ?

Actually playing a different version (Frenzy Wander) and gaining 1 support (so, 1 spell out of 3 : 33% DPS increase at best) at the cost of half mana + no stats on 1 entire item is pretty hard to live with in my mind :/

One can live with only 2 spells, damage output is high enough anyway in my opinion :p
(Arc/Ice Spear actually used in conjonction with Berek's Grip. Better sacrifing 1 ring than 2 :p)

I have already tried two berek's grips with vaal pact, it's not enough to do an ele reflect map. Waste of time.

Cold snap is amazing with this build, it freezes damn near everything and anything, sometimes including bosses. It's not possible to use snap without voll's.

Also, using a different skill to keep up power charges is far more annoying than you might think. I don't even keep up frenzy more.
Cold Snap is pure crap on a GMP/Chain setup.
Doesn't benefit from any of those.

Ice Spear or Arctic Breath do benefit from those supports, largely increasing the overall damage output, while freezing everything aswell with decent enough crit' chance (hey, power charges :))

About Frenzy, it's a different matter, it's my primary skill (you use LA, i use Frenzy + GMP + Chain with 95% Crit' Chance)

Berek's Grip alone, without Vaal Pact for the moment though, allows me to reach way higher leech than the leech cap at 3.2K HP and only lvl 15 gems :/

Annoying, sure, but Voll's stats are so freaking bad :(
The only way to make a decent use of it is either through the use of Discharge or Cold Snap. Sadly, Cold Snap doesn't do enough damage (tried it, about 3 to 5 times lower overall damage than Ice Spear/Arctic Breath)
Same goes for Arc by the way. Spark deals higher damage here but sucks withouh projectile speed. Good thing that 20% Spark provides 60% projectile speed :)
"
Iyacthu wrote:

Ice Spear or Arctic Breath do benefit from those supports, largely increasing the overall damage output, while freezing everything aswell with decent enough crit' chance (hey, power charges :))

About Frenzy, it's a different matter, it's my primary skill (you use LA, i use Frenzy + GMP + Chain with 95% Crit' Chance)

Berek's Grip alone, without Vaal Pact for the moment though, allows me to reach way higher leech than the leech cap at 3.2K HP and only lvl 15 gems :/

The only way to make a decent use of it is either through the use of Discharge or Cold Snap. Sadly, Cold Snap doesn't do enough damage (tried it, about 3 to 5 times lower overall damage than Ice Spear/Arctic Breath)
Same goes for Arc by the way. Spark deals higher damage here but sucks withouh projectile speed. Good thing that 20% Spark provides 60% projectile speed :)

You are taking it wrong man. GMP & Chain are needed to get you insane amount of crits with your aoe attack (LA is best here, Frenzy can be good option too) and actually either GMP or Chain are not buffing damage! Both are decresing it (esecially will do with Ice Spear/Arctic Breath or other projectile spells). Cold snap is super powerful spell actually, great chance to freeze, nice area effect and huge dps when you have voll's. There's a proof of it in Wurpo's video in Dry Peninsula map (taking high hp bosss).

I noticed that once I got my gems GMP gems to 20%q, my attacks speed was enough to stop using frenzy - which is nice though for other reason like 4% more evasion per charge.

Barrage is op here and it's like designed for CoC builds. No mana concerns, lot of crits and life on hit. With constant recharge of Flasks you can spam Surgeon's Flask like Granite with 90%+ increased armor, Jade... etc., whatever you like and keep yourself alive in most of dangerous situations.

Last edited by HeyterVic on Dec 22, 2013, 3:00:12 PM
"
Iyacthu wrote:

You're missing the point of cold snap and arc.

Cold snap is the spell that murders anything that stands too close together (try it on a clumped pack before it moves from it's original spawn), and freezes anything on the screen (or the next screen) that happens to survive.

Arc will then clean up any survivors that were too far away by focusing them with a million arc bounces.

Ice spear doesn't have nearly as much damage potential, it can only hit a certain amount of targets in a big pack unlike cold snap, which hits a massive amount of targets in a good situation.

Another large concern is the lag caused by using ice spear and arctic breath together in my main link (or even one of them, honestly), while solo it's doable but in a party or a laggier area it will cause too much lag to actually play the game. It's not a lag that can be stopped by having a good computer.

Also, wait, you aren't using frenzy+gmp+chain as a main aoe clearing skill with a cast on crit build, are you?
Last edited by Wurps on Dec 22, 2013, 5:08:17 PM
[removed]
Last edited by Wurps on Dec 26, 2013, 6:01:00 AM
I found this build very amusing and managed to 5L a Quill Rain. I acquired a Voll's Protector, but this build feels impossible without a Thief's Torment. I think it can be done without Voll's using just a 5L Quill Rain or a Tabula Rasa, but there is just no way to keep your mana up without the ring.

I rerolled my colors to use Chain instead of a second spell (GGGGR), but it seems like more trouble than it's worth with Cold Snap or Arc on its own. I'll pick up an Arctic Breath and try that out as soon as I can, but Voll's crushing mana reduction really hurts the lower levels. It seems like the limiting factor is mana, rather than crit.

This build is definitely doable around 35, but I don't have a 6L to see if it's easier when you have access to the full arsenal.

(I have roughly 158 mana after equipping Voll's and the cost when using Chain is about 66. Ouch.)
"
Eninya wrote:
I found this build very amusing and managed to 5L a Quill Rain. I acquired a Voll's Protector, but this build feels impossible without a Thief's Torment. I think it can be done without Voll's using just a 5L Quill Rain or a Tabula Rasa, but there is just no way to keep your mana up without the ring.

I rerolled my colors to use Chain instead of a second spell (GGGGR), but it seems like more trouble than it's worth with Cold Snap or Arc on its own. I'll pick up an Arctic Breath and try that out as soon as I can, but Voll's crushing mana reduction really hurts the lower levels. It seems like the limiting factor is mana, rather than crit.

This build is definitely doable around 35, but I don't have a 6L to see if it's easier when you have access to the full arsenal.

(I have roughly 158 mana after equipping Voll's and the cost when using Chain is about 66. Ouch.)

Chain and arc would be pretty good. You might be able to support it using a malachai's simula which will give you blood magic and about 25% spell damage and lightning damage, you'll have to get life on hit on some of your other gear though to support it. Even a little bit will probably work.
"
Wurps wrote:
Chain and arc would be pretty good. You might be able to support it using a malachai's simula which will give you blood magic and about 25% spell damage and lightning damage, you'll have to get life on hit on some of your other gear though to support it. Even a little bit will probably work.

At this level, Arc just doesn't cut it for damage on its own, but since I'm 100% limited by my mana it could just be that I can't throw out enough attacks. My crit is fairly low, around 17.6% before the 4 power charges (27.6%~ after), and I also lack the luxury of 20% quality gems for even more crit.

I'm far too afraid to use Blood Magic, simply because this build spits out around 4.5-5.2 attacks per second, and since it's very low life I could easily kill myself by spamming into fatal levels.

I'm beginning to think that a Ranger would be a better choice for this build as they have access to more crit and life together, and going northward in their tree to the Shadow's (and the Witch at very, very high level) leaves you with many more early and mid game survival options. It feels like a lot of points are wasted as a Scion. You get some early EV and Resists, but heavily lack in life and crit as you pursue core skills, and you have to go through the Shadow tree to reach Acrobatics. I may just reroll, but in the end I still need that ring.

Here's a look at what I was thinking for a Ranger at 80 points spent: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAm42v6wguAdHtg_4JGY4nIQBelcjTfsSiJJ2XBmJaLYMZipu1UzVtbEyxtUjOSMuCbXtVS4w25Rm0OPv11U_edxOepJF-M13ycNVwUsBR8-rjhGNDIuro1s3qBbXUI92oxqIwcUt4OkKNv1FHMHxv8jnUoJ9_K9aKJpV315UFIXYx-nb3yqmquKp_jX0F-RXw51Qk_eHboaQOSBGWnaP8qw==

And 118 point endgame build: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAm40ILu2DGY4AXtN-r-sB0f4JJyGVyMSiJJ1iWpcGBfmjipsm6NbN6gW11CPdqMaiMHFLeDpCsTCGzt7253Q2PYhr44TAUfPqcFJw1V3yfjOkkROejDblGbQ4-_XVT953VUtte7VIDkgRlp2j_Kte-tA5F9iNv1FHMHxv8jnUoJ9_K3fXlQUhdjH6dvfKqdaKFfDnVCT94duhpP7Iqriqf419OlgEfocZbWxTNUyxzkjLgmNDYeImlZ2qYqzWnX_GHNzxdjgb5BGRz6KjwfNtGS0fTLNQMI-mUlM9X0SrVa4snK6zBUJBloIQ37A=

They're just some quick build I mapped out in few minutes without much research.
"
Eninya wrote:
"
Wurps wrote:

At this level, Arc just doesn't cut it for damage on its own, but since I'm 100% limited by my mana it could just be that I can't throw out enough attacks. My crit is fairly low, around 17.6% before the 4 power charges (27.6%~ after), and I also lack the luxury of 20% quality gems for even more crit.

I'm far too afraid to use Blood Magic, simply because this build spits out around 4.5-5.2 attacks per second, and since it's very low life I could easily kill myself by spamming into fatal levels.

I'm beginning to think that a Ranger would be a better choice for this build as they have access to more crit and life together, and going northward in their tree to the Shadow's (and the Witch at very, very high level) leaves you with many more early and mid game survival options. It feels like a lot of points are wasted as a Scion. You get some early EV and Resists, but heavily lack in life and crit as you pursue core skills, and you have to go through the Shadow tree to reach Acrobatics. I may just reroll, but in the end I still need that ring.

Here's a look at what I was thinking for a Ranger at 80 points spent: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAm42v6wguAdHtg_4JGY4nIQBelcjTfsSiJJ2XBmJaLYMZipu1UzVtbEyxtUjOSMuCbXtVS4w25Rm0OPv11U_edxOepJF-M13ycNVwUsBR8-rjhGNDIuro1s3qBbXUI92oxqIwcUt4OkKNv1FHMHxv8jnUoJ9_K9aKJpV315UFIXYx-nb3yqmquKp_jX0F-RXw51Qk_eHboaQOSBGWnaP8qw==

And 118 point endgame build: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAm40ILu2DGY4AXtN-r-sB0f4JJyGVyMSiJJ1iWpcGBfmjipsm6NbN6gW11CPdqMaiMHFLeDpCsTCGzt7253Q2PYhr44TAUfPqcFJw1V3yfjOkkROejDblGbQ4-_XVT953VUtte7VIDkgRlp2j_Kte-tA5F9iNv1FHMHxv8jnUoJ9_K3fXlQUhdjH6dvfKqdaKFfDnVCT94duhpP7Iqriqf419OlgEfocZbWxTNUyxzkjLgmNDYeImlZ2qYqzWnX_GHNzxdjgb5BGRz6KjwfNtGS0fTLNQMI-mUlM9X0SrVa4snK6zBUJBloIQ37A=

They're just some quick build I mapped out in few minutes without much research.

Just from a glance I can tell those builds are suicide. It's not going to be possible to get resistance cap without top tier gear, and your life pool is going to be in one-shot range.

Leveling is easy, you can do it with anything. Keep in mind this build hits 60 times per attack at max efficiency, so 1 life on hit would be 60 life gained. 5 life on hit would be 300.

Cold snap can be safer as it freezes the enemies, but it's better to level with spectral throw or something.
So I have some questions about the survivability of this build. I am 82 at the moment and have nearly no problem to clear most of the maps from 67 to 72 except for reflect maps.

I am using for AOE damage:
Split Arrow + Chain + CoC + EK + Cold Snap

But I have some questions, because if I achieve to get a 6Link i want to try out your Links for AOE Damage:

1. What do you do about Elemental Reflect on maps/mobs? Are you re-rolling these maps or is it possible to handle "Elemental Reflect" mobs with the LGoH from Thief's Torment ?

2. What about Lightning Thorns? I never died to these (although it's very dangerous). With my currenc Link i do not hit as often as using your links, which seems very dangerous for me if you shoot your AOE on LT mobs.

3. Can we survive high Damage in endgame maps, because you can not really stack so much life and evasion, because of using Thief's Torment and Voll's.

And because of this, is it useful to skill more "increased maximum life" nodes instead of "increased Spell/Elemental damage" nodes like i did in my current passive tree:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAvryC5JARiq9KyG6qtfI1kqxZiPHnY_4K8kU64aZXTeP-jzGet9bbWS2osZCDCUZxtAxb9JMnHNx_xqKjwfNtGS0fTLNQMNteJ6labSQ8p1xJURGWnaP8qw5InapirOOEY0PAUXDVcFLz6ha_h9th4l3yfjOkkROejDZVSyaVbXu1SIhrNj2lywzyBbXUI92oxqIwcUt4OkKNv1FHqriqf419Ps-95vljFfA6WAR-hxnnVCT91QDh26Gk_sgwfH8r1opv8jnUoJ8=

4. I am using Cwdt + Enduring Cry + Immortal Call + Increased Duration. Do you see any better uses for Cwdt in this build? (i currently need this, because i am using EK and this is really good surviving Physical Reflect without any problems!)

Current Gear (not my main gauntlets. These are just for farming):
Spoiler
Last edited by Renxiem on Dec 28, 2013, 9:14:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info