[1.0.1 Build] Fisting to immortality! (22k dps, 82-84% all res, 90-100% phys, ALL maps, cheap!)

First, they came for my gloves...then my auras...then my elemental resists and my defensive spells...but though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Nerf, I shall fear no evil...for you cannot stop the fists.

Hey exiles! I've been playing PoE off and on since Closed Beta, and decided it was about time I shared my favorite creation. I hope you'll all have some fun with it. This is updated as of version 1.0.1!

I play primarily solo and self-found, and as such, most of my wealth is all either dropped or obtained in very low quantities - I.E. selling common uniques for a couple of chaos orbs. At the time I created this build, I had a total of six exalts belong to me, two of which I used for crafting. Because of all that, I wanted to design an endgame build that was both very powerful and didn't require one of the extremely expensive uniques that get tossed around so commonly in great builds. I play the game a lot, but wheeling and dealing so I can buy a Shavronne's Wrappings isn't my idea of fun.

I'd rather punch things in their stupid, stupid faces. I'm guessing you'd like to do that too.

This build uses an exact combination of items and gems to produce a scaling defense effect against any opponent, involving minimal input from the player while allowing for massive damage output. It can tackle any map mod in almost any combination. It will make you want to crush a beer can on your forehead. Chuck Norris is playing this build as we speak.

Endgame (103 Points, finished)

Maximized (117 Points)

Pros
Spoiler
-82% all resists, 84% lightning resist, massively overcapped with charges
-74% spell block, 75% if you really want it
-67% physical damage reduction with 7 endurance charges (90% with granite)
-20 second Immortal Call duration with almost 100% uptime if desired
-Scaling defenses that require almost no attention on your part
-Massive damage: 22k AoE Infernal Blow with legacy Facebreaker
-17k damage with 750% current generation Facebreaker!
-Relatively cheap compared to other overpowered endgame builds
-Primary improvements to the build come from getting gem quality, not gear

Cons
Spoiler
-Requires a very specific set of gear and gems
-Getting enough DEX and INT can be a problem
-Flat -60% chaos resistance (not a problem with amethyst)
-Elemental Reflect requires a gem swap
-Getting 20% quality on your gems can take a long, long time

Gear Requirements
Spoiler
The gear for this build is very specific. Facebreaker, Saffell's Frame, Bringer of Rain, and Meginord's Girdle are all required items. I was lucky enough that all of these were self-found, except for the 120% spell block Saffell's - I had another copy, but not one with that roll, so I traded for it. Things to keep in mind about your gear:

Gloves
Spoiler

Facebreaker: Obviously, the higher the damage roll, the better. A legacy pair is best, but if you're new to the game since release, don't worry about it - these gloves are still monsters and you can use one in the high 700% range. Damage figures are below. You'll need to color it RGGB.

Shield
Spoiler

Saffell's Frame: This shield is amazing and undervalued for what it does, especially now that Purity has been nerfed and provides only 2% max resistances. Save yourself a node or two by getting one with a 120% spell block roll. Saffell's Frame, coupled with elemental resistance flasks, can give you 92-94% elemental resistances and 75% spell block with an investment of very few skill points. Color it RRR.

Helm
Spoiler

Bringer of Rain: There is no substitute for how awesome this helmet is. Forgetting that it's a 7-link for only ten exalts or so, it gives us a huge amount of life and armor with Iron Reflexes, a huge amount of block chance, a ton of survivability using Blind (an incredibly undervalued gem), a ridiculous increase to our Facebreaker damage, and extra chances to get those valuable Endurance Charges. What could make it even better? How about the inside knowledge that if you equip a 6-slot piece of chest armor before you equip the bringer, the gems socketed into the chest armor will still gain experience? Amazing. Color it RRRR - this may take a few chromatics to get done, but it isn't too difficult.

Boots
Spoiler

Rainbowstride: If there's an item you don't absolutely need for this build, it's the Rainbowstrides - especially after they've been nerfed. I have a legacy pair with the 20% all res, which makes it a very attractive option for my build. We're using these because of the 20% (minimum) of block chance applied to spell block mod, which synergizes with Saffell's 120% and the 12% from our skill tree to get 152% of block chance applied to spells. When you figure in Bringer of Rain's 15% block chance, and Saffell's intrinsic 26% chance, the math dictates that you require only an additional 9% block chance to cap your spell block at 75%. Now that's sexy. If you decide to use the strides, then the hard part will be coloration: you need them to be RRRB. It probably took me a couple hundred chromatic orbs, but it can be done.

Windscream: If you don't have Rainbowstrides, or want to use something else, no big deal - Windscream is a fantastic option that will let you take advantage of the fact that this build has two curses you can lay on top of one another. This will also solve the problem of needing resistances (more than the new Rainbowstride), and will even buff your Infernal Blow damage a bit. Again, color it RRRB.

If you don't want to use either of those (due to cost or needing even more resistances), take the hit on your spell block, and get a pair of armor boots with life and as much res as you can get.

Belt
Spoiler

Meginord's Girdle: The staple for every user of the boxing gloves. Everything about it is fantastic, and they aren't particularly expensive. I've had three drop for me since I started playing.

Rings
Spoiler

For your rings, you'll want to prioritize resists, added physical damage, DEX/INT, and life. These are your primary source of elemental resistance, so make it count.

Kaom's Sign: This is an optional item you can throw in if you can get enough life and resistances to play with it. Another 2% life leech is very helpful in no regen maps, and that extra endurance charge is just candy in our mouths.

I would love to test out Ming's Heart on this build, since I'm fairly sure it would make it much stronger while eliminating the only vulnerability (chaos damage) the build could possibly have.

Amulet
Spoiler

Turquoise Amulet: This is the tricky part of the build. DEX and INT are going to be at a premium, so not only will you want a Turquoise Amulet, you'll want one with extra attributes on top of the intrinsic values. My amulet here is a good example of what you should be looking for - a ton of DEX and INT, life, physical damage, and whatever else floats your boat. Resistances help, but as you can see, you don't actually need them on this piece.

Flasks
Spoiler

This is the setup I roll with outside of maps. Inside maps, replace one of your quicksilver flasks with an appropriate resistance flask for that map's boss or mods. In no regen maps, I sometimes substitute a third life flask for my granite, but it's usually not necessary.

Statistics Screenshots
Spoiler
NOTE: These are with my 995% pair of Legacy Facebreakers. I used the exact same build with a 750% pair just as a test, and the damage still won't drop below 17k! Sick!

Infernal Blow (With Haste and Hatred, 2 rings and necklace with phys dmg added)

Defense (Base, no charges or flasks)

(Purity of Lightning, 7 Endurance Charges, Granite Flask up)

Gems, Gameplay, and Maps
Spoiler
This build uses only fifteen gems:

Bringer of Rain (RRRR)
Infernal Blow (20q)
Multistrike (20q)
Melee Splash (20q)
Blood Magic
(Melee Physical Damage)
(Faster Attacks)
(Blind)

Saffell's Frame (RRR)
Cast when Damage Taken (Level 1)
Warlord's Mark (20q, Level 5)
Enduring Cry (20q, Level 5)

Facebreaker (RGGB)
Reduced Mana
Hatred
Haste (Level 19)
Purity of Lightning (Level 15) or Purity of Elements

Rainbowstride (RRRB)
Immortal Call (20q)
Increased Duration (20q)
Enfeeble (Level 15, 20q)
Blood Magic

You'll be reserving all of your mana to run Haste, Hatred, and Purity. This build is incredibly tanky - don't worry about charging into packs of mobs and punching them like Captain Manmerica, that's what it's designed for. Your Cast when Damage Taken trigger gem will keep you safe; between the life leech from Warlord's Mark and the endurance charges you'll be getting from the curse and Enduring Cry, the only time you'll ever have to worry about popping a potion is right when you engage. Having 20% quality on your Warlord's Mark gem is key here - it takes your level 5 gem from a 22% chance to grant an endurance charge on kill to a 52% chance. If you're skittish about your unbuffed defenses, just pop your granite beforehand and laugh as your hulking biceps make the entire screen explode. You won't be able to block attacks due to Saffell's Frame, so all this damage mitigation is really important.

What to do in the case of the tougher stuff? Nine times out of ten, if you're rolling up on a map boss or some other tough opponent, you'll have just finished cleaning up their associated pack of mobs. Between the Warlord's Mark and Enduring Cry, you'll have somewhere between 5-7 endurance charges. Pop Immortal Call and forget about the rest. The number of nodes we take on the passive tree to support this skill, plus 20q Immortal Call and 20q Increased Duration mean that you'll be yawning at Blacksmith or Carnage while they tickle your little footsies. There's no need to block physical attacks if they can't hurt you. You'll have less of a chance to utilize IC while in a one-on-one long fight, but there are precious few of those in the game (Temple/Shrine Piety and Dominus both come to mind), and both rely on physical smashes/lightning magic to do the most damage - good thing you're invulnerable to phys, at 75% spell block, and at 94% lightning res with your aura and topaz flask, huh?

Either way, your Enfeeble curse is there to back you up. Just recast it if Warlord's Mark auto-asserts itself. The 30% damage reduction is key, but more importantly, the huge loss of accuracy it causes synergizes with the Blind from Bringer of Rain, giving you a 75% evade chance against physical attacks. As if you didn't already need another way to be invincible. Unwavering Stance is for suckers.

Chaos damage can hurt you, but there's very little in the game that can do enough of it to theoretically kill you...unless you see Thena Moga or Ion Darkshroud. Punch them in their stupid faceholes and jump through a town portal before those Viper Strike charges leave you in the ground. No me gusta Rogue Exiles.

Maps are a breeze, no matter the mods...but there are a few points to keep in mind:
Spoiler

-If you're doing blood magic, awesome! We love blood magic. Turn off your auras (or keep Purity on if you really want to), replace your Blood Magic gem in your Bringer of Rain with 20q Added Fire Damage, and activate the hyperdrive.

-If you're doing physical reflect, don't worry, you won't even feel it - not single or double. Pretend it's not even there.

-If you're doing elemental reflect, that's more of a problem. My solution is to switch your Infernal Blow gem with a level 1 Dominating Blow gem (20q helps) and play normally. The only downside will be the annoyance of your party members for breaking their graphics cards.

-Acton's Nightmare and Coward's Trial are like your very own funzone delights. Undead go boom.

Thanks for reading, and happy immortal fisting!
Ruby light of Songbird dreaming,
Daring King of Swords deceiving,
Queen of Sirens left in grieving,
Star of Wraeclast evermore.
Last edited by Xedralya on Nov 18, 2013, 6:01:38 PM
Thank you for posting your guide! I just looked through it after seeing your post on my build (:

Some questions! Some of which may be newbie questions or may need correction.

1. How much does iron reflexes really help? If you have immortal call on most of the time, you're not taking any physical damage anyway, and evasion would help to get out of elemental melee where armor does not. (4 points = 30 dex + iron reflexes)

2. You're using 2 10-strength nodes to the right of quickness, where you can use 1 10-strength node to the left of executioner. (1 point = 10 str versus 2 point = 20 str)

3. What do you think about the path of 30 int, 32% max life, and 12% chaos resist up toward the top? I suppose 6 points may be a bit too much, but chaos resist is kind of at a premium and it would help with the int problem. Not sure if it is better, but it may be an alternative. By doing #2 you would get 1 point and by dropping iron reflexes you get 4 points.

This would also save you from those 3 points you put into the big life circle in the 117 point build.

4. If you do number 3 you can branch down and get +30 dex + 10 int for 2 points, if you really want the dex, or you could just use that elsewhere.

Here is picture form:
Iron reflexes removed:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAdwB5wJxBLMFLQ48EuEUIBRNFHEWbxcvGS4aMho4G_odFB2-Jd8nCyftLdIyCTboNuk62D8nRmlHfkrITdhPfVBHUFBRYFRJVcZV1lcNWGNYr1ltWfNc9F8_X5hgS2EhZOdlTWaeZ-JsRm5pbqpwfXJscql07XYIeA1673zZgFaApIFvgziE2YTvhymMdozPj0aQVZHOnjyezZ8-oLSiAKLqpBmmPqcIpzCnhKluq8WsqrXyud277b6KvqfAD8AaxtjPZdDQ0iHSTdSP1e3ZYdrd4urjaudS7DjvDu988i_z3fZI97760vuq

Iron reflexes kept (removed 36% endurance charge duration and 10 int to make up for it):
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAdwB5wJxBLMFLQ48EuEUIBRNFHEWbxcvGS4aMho4G_odFB2-Jd8nCyftKaUt0jIJNug26TrYPydGaUd-SshN2E4qT31QR1BQUWBUSVXGVdZXDVhjWK9ZbVnzXPRfP1-YYEthIWTnZU1mnmfiapNsRm5pbqpwfXJscql07XYIeA1673zZgFaApIFvgziE2YTvhymMdozPj0aQVZHOnjyezaC0ogCkGaY-pzCnhKluq8WsqrXytkG53bvtvoq-p8APwBrG2M9l0NDSIdJN1I_V7dlh4urjaudS7DjvDu988i_z3fZI97760vuq
Last edited by AcheronGloom on Oct 30, 2013, 12:46:53 AM
Hey Acheron, thanks for the critique!

1) This is something I thought long and hard about. I had a different version of this build back in Open Beta that was more reliant on armor, since I could run Grace and Determination on top of Hatred, Haste, and Purity. Iron Reflexes was an obvious choice. Now that we have to be more choosy with our auras, I did a sense check on keeping Iron Reflexes. I decided that keeping it is definitely the best idea, for two reasons:

- The 900 some evasion from your Bringer of Rain is your PRIMARY source of armor in this build. If you're using Rainbowstride, the only other place you get any armor from the build is from the rest of the Bringer and Saffell's Frame. Since armor passive bonuses (and granite multipliers) are based on your base values, this will massively increase your armor value when you pop your granite. The only time this build is really vulnerable to damage is when it has no endurance charges up and a bunch of hard-hitting physical damage mobs swarm you. Your EC and Warlord's Mark will kick in within a second, keeping you safe, but it's a little dicey to watch your health drop to less than half right then, and potentially more if you're stuck with vulnerability and extra damage mods. Believe it or not, that extra armor makes all the difference, especially if you pop that granite first. (5800 armor to 19200 armor on my build, 39% to 68% reduction.) There are also going to be times when you either desync, endurance charges run out before you remember to Immortal Call, or some other part of your brain turns off and you make a boneheaded mistake. The extra armor will save your life when you screw up.

- Second, removing Iron Reflexes would only give us evasion, and having evasion isn't really necessary if you have Blind from the Bringer of Rain. If I want to dodge or block a hit with this build, it has to be pretty massive - that usually means a boss or rare of some kind. This is exactly the kind of enemy that is going to be insta-blinded from getting smacked five times or more a second, and that you've enfeebled to take away 62% of their accuracy. Blind+Iron Reflexes gives you a base 76.25% chance to evade enemy attacks just by lowering monster accuracy. With Enfeeble, that number is substantially higher (it's 4 AM and math is beyond me). There are evasion builds that can't reach that level of evasion. Your attack speed ensures 100% blind uptime.

2) I've been messing with my build so much that I didn't even notice that! Free skill point, it's like Christmas!

3) I used to take this path, since I needed the INT to run a level 20 Enfeeble gem, but then I questioned my logic. You make a good point that it's one of the only sources of chaos resistance that you can encounter, and that it does give you 40 INT and 30 DEX...but do you really need that stuff? Those nodes give you a total of 32% increased maximum life, 12% chaos resistance, 40 INT and 30 DEX for eight passive points. Consider:

- First, we would have to lose Iron Reflexes to get that cluster, which I don't think is a very good idea, as explained above.

- The total of 32% increased maximum life can be replaced by taking four life nodes on the big life wheel, for a total of 36%. That's a net increase of 4% maximum life.

- Chaos resist, while looking ugly at -60%, has never been a problem for me. As long as you don't stand inside a poison arrow or alchemist cloud, and pop a portal scroll to have an available escape from Viper Strike charges as soon as you see Thena Moga or Ion Darkshroud, you'll be just fine.

- We get the 30 DEX back from having the path to Iron Reflexes. What about that 40 INT, you say? Believe it or not, you can get by without it just fine. My character has 127 INT - the only thing you need more INT for is higher-level Enfeeble, which makes a very small difference in effectiveness. This is why getting attributes on your gear is so important. Why spend all those points so you can subtract another 2% or 3% of damage when you could be using it on health? 84-94% elemental damage mitigation and Immortal Call should be plenty; enjoy being a little dumber and a lot beefier.
Last edited by Xedralya on Oct 30, 2013, 7:37:08 AM
What about using cyclone?
Thanks for taking a look, Canibal!

I considered using Cyclone as my primary skill, since it's physical based and would dodge elemental reflect. I tested Cyclone using Cyclone/Concentrated Effect/Blood Magic and then either Life Gain on Hit or Added Fire Damage. I opted for Infernal Blow instead, for the following reasons:

- Mana cost. You can easily run Infernal Blow with a Blood Magic gem and punch away all day while your regen keeps you at full life. Unless you want to run a Life Leech or Life Gain on Hit gem with Cyclone, it's going to drain you dry pretty quick, even with a 20q Concentrated Effect gem reducing the mana cost.

- Control. Once you Cyclone, you ain't stopping. Using Infernal Blow allows me to step in and out extremely quickly while using a Quicksilver, and that's the difference between getting Vaal Smashed and jumping out of the way.

- Desync/Resync. If there's one thing Cyclone has a problem with, it's desync. Infernal Blow has zero issues.

- Utility. If Cyclone was giving me a problem with dual reflect, there's no clear alternative for what I could swap it with. Elemental Hit is the obvious choice, but you'd want to use Multistrike and Melee Splash with that, which means recoloring your sockets whenever you swap. Infernal Blow has the advantage of having Dominating Blow use all the same support gems for a clean elemental to physical switch.

- Necromancers. Infernal Blow completely shuts them down, Cyclone does not. I hate Necromancers. Infernal also completely defeats the Fractured mod in Nemesis league - that was a pretty awesome discovery to make. The fractured copies die as soon as they're spawned from the explosion of the Rare's corpse.

- Clear speed. Honestly, with 20q on Infernal and Splash, you're just running and gunning so quickly that Cyclone can't keep up.
Than You very much for your answer! That's what is was looking for.
Last edited by Canibal69 on Oct 30, 2013, 8:18:29 AM
tried this,good and have fun with it since my mara can respect points in HC ;D
but nearly died to ele reflect..
IGN=binjai
Hey Binjai, thanks for trying out the build!

Elemental Reflect is the only way to really stop this wrecking train. I mentioned how to combat it in my maps section, but a little more in-depth information can't hurt:

- If you simply run across an elemental reflect pack outside of maps, it often won't be enough to really hurt you. If I see a rare with ele reflect, surrounded by four or five mobs, I don't think anything of it. Just plow through them and keep on fisting.

- If you see a rare surrounded by many, many monsters...well, you'll have to be a little more cautious. I like to try to lure a few of them off to the side to thin them out before going for the rare. The splash radius on 20q Infernal and Melee Splash is pretty big, so don't just charge into the center and start punching. In both of these cases, a Ruby Flask can help a LOT.

- In maps, don't even try Elemental Reflect unless you swap Infernal Blow for Dominating Blow. Keep the gem at level 1, in order to keep the mana cost down; it won't affect the damage, and your regen + life pool can easily handle the cost and attack speed. Physical Reflect still won't be an issue - even double reflect - due to your crazy high armor with charges and Immortal Call.

Be smart. Unlike a lot of ranged builds I've tried, it's not as if you'll be one-shotting yourself on elemental reflect from hitting something off-screen. You can see what you punch before you hit it, so don't get hypnotized by the pretty blue starburst and jump on it like a sado-masochistic moth.

The last thing that killed me on this character was a simultaneous fight with Thena Moga and an elemental reflect pack. I've seen that combination once since Anarchy started. tl;dr, the circumstances under which you would actually be in danger using this build are extremely rare.
Last edited by Xedralya on Oct 30, 2013, 6:01:26 PM
Hey, first up nice guide.

I run facebreaker with infernal blow as well, few questions:

1) why do you use the shield that stops you blocking attacks? The amount of charges i get for blocking is unbelievable.

2) Kaom's sign?? If you add a phys damage ring, that easy another 2-3k dps.

3)I don't see a point in 8 endurance charges. I'm sat on 6, and currently capping/overcapping damage reduction, resists and block chance, all from 3 charges. Seems a bit overkill.

Cheers dude, and nice informative guide :D
Hey Concretepete, thanks for dropping by!

1) The shield doesn't stop you from blocking completely - you have a 10% chance to gain an endurance charge whenever you block a spell. Try standing in the middle of a few voidbearers and see what happens. ;) Regardless, the Enduring Cry and Warlord's Mark linked to Cast on Damage Taken will give you max endurance charges within seconds. The charge production on Bringer of Rain is an afterthought.

2) You can add a phys damage ring if you like - I sometimes do, especially if I'm running lower level maps and want some extra DPS to go with some IIR and IIQ. Why Kaom's Sign? Because I'll take defense over offense any day of the week. 18k DPS is enough to murder anything in short order, but that extra endurance charge is 4% less damage taken, 4% elemental resistance if I have Elemental Weakness on me, and precious more time for Immortal Call. It's just a matter of preference, really.

3) Endurance Charges have no effect on block chance. Going from six to eight charges is a choice made primarily for Immortal Call, where it makes a huge difference.

Thanks a bunch for the questions! :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info