{EDITED} GUIDE to exploding sh*t with arrows - Video --- NEMESIS -

"
gloobonious wrote:
I am playing a EE build as well, but I play by far different.
the build sounds okay, but why split arrow + chain + life on hit AND LMP - there is no need for LMP, go get culling in there!

i run a abolute different EE build, you can make that easily with a templar or marauder as well, loosing the scion advantage (i am on pure evasion with acrobatics, phase acrobatics, ondar's guile and specced a bit up to witch for AoE and burning damage and purity of flesh and crit chance)

anyways, build quite solid, but get culling ;-)

Yea I'm using LMP cos I was waiting for the culling to drop. I should have mentioned that I intend to incorporate it somehow but I just got it 2 days ago and haven't experimented with it yet so that's why I didn't write about it. Atm I have it linked to an incinerate totem with fire penetration but I'm planning on trying it with split arrow as well so I can go rejuv totem.

As for your build, mind posting a link to your skill tree? I'm kind of interested in it. You mentioned that it's an easy build to make as a Templar and Mara also - this is true. The reason why I chose Scion is because I don't like the way the Templar and Marauder look :D Also I wanted lots of health early for BM that's why I didn't start Duelist.

Another option for the build is to forget about the BM keystone and 6-link EA with BM gem so that you could run auras and in that case I would go for Iron Reflexes since it's only worth getting if running Grace (IMO).

Later in the game I'm going to respec some health points into increased area damage just to test the damage and compare. I'll follow up with an edit to the thread where I'll post the results and what I think of it but until I get to around 85 Im going to stick with the build I posted.

"
PigOfPain wrote:
Would this be good in HC?

Yes, that is why I'm playing it on the Nemesis League which is a HC league. Hence the high prioritization of life in the Passive Tree

"
schraer wrote:
Is it worth doing this build without getting Quill Rain first?

I started using EA before I got a Quill Rain on my first time 'round but it was slow and frustrating. I would not suggest leveling with EA in the beginning and only switching to it when you have Blood Magic and Quill Rain available. With the new release, Spectral Throw or Cleave or some other efficient leveling skill that doesn't rely on nodes as much as an item is a lot better for early levels.
"
deagle_dom wrote:
"
gloobonious wrote:
I am playing a EE build as well, but I play by far different.
the build sounds okay, but why split arrow + chain + life on hit AND LMP - there is no need for LMP, go get culling in there!

i run a abolute different EE build, you can make that easily with a templar or marauder as well, loosing the scion advantage (i am on pure evasion with acrobatics, phase acrobatics, ondar's guile and specced a bit up to witch for AoE and burning damage and purity of flesh and crit chance)

anyways, build quite solid, but get culling ;-)

Yea I'm using LMP cos I was waiting for the culling to drop. I should have mentioned that I intend to incorporate it somehow but I just got it 2 days ago and haven't experimented with it yet so that's why I didn't write about it. Atm I have it linked to an incinerate totem with fire penetration but I'm planning on trying it with split arrow as well so I can go rejuv totem.

As for your build, mind posting a link to your skill tree? I'm kind of interested in it. You mentioned that it's an easy build to make as a Templar and Mara also - this is true. The reason why I chose Scion is because I don't like the way the Templar and Marauder look :D Also I wanted lots of health early for BM that's why I didn't start Duelist.

Another option for the build is to forget about the BM keystone and 6-link EA with BM gem so that you could run auras and in that case I would go for Iron Reflexes since it's only worth getting if running Grace (IMO).

Later in the game I'm going to respec some health points into increased area damage just to test the damage and compare. I'll follow up with an edit to the thread where I'll post the results and what I think of it but until I get to around 85 Im going to stick with the build I posted.

"
PigOfPain wrote:
Would this be good in HC?

Yes, that is why I'm playing it on the Nemesis League which is a HC league. Hence the high prioritization of life in the Passive Tree

"
schraer wrote:
Is it worth doing this build without getting Quill Rain first?

I started using EA before I got a Quill Rain on my first time 'round but it was slow and frustrating. I would not suggest leveling with EA in the beginning and only switching to it when you have Blood Magic and Quill Rain available. With the new release, Spectral Throw or Cleave or some other efficient leveling skill that doesn't rely on nodes as much as an item is a lot better for early levels.

would this be a good build as a starting character with very limited items? :O
"
PigOfPain wrote:
would this be a good build as a starting character with very limited items? :O

I'd say so. I have less than ideal gear and in public parties I honestly havent ran into anyone with equal damage in relation to survivability. Not sure if someone has done as much damage or more but jsut to be on the safe side lets say someone has.
Hi there,

I'm very interested in taking up your build, looks awesome. I've already got all the pieces except Elemental Proliferation, too, so that's nice.

I have a few questions.

You don't use Cloak of Flame anymore? Seems really solid. Is it because it's now too weak protection-wise? I would think that maxing out in fire resistance would save you a lot of damage when equipping it.

I just want to make sure I understand what you're doing with Elemental Equilibrium. I see only one effect that adds damage of another element to your hit (1-5 lightning). So, what you're doing here is making them more resistant to lightning in order to make them 50% less resistant to fire (on top of the curse), which deals more damage and gains you life. Is this what happens?

Also, why not start from the Marauder? It seems like you would get to your important nodes much faster and not have to grab the weaker nodes by starting at the Scion. Those four points (1.2 life regen and 12 life) seem like they could be better spent elsewhere.

I've seen some EA builds go for Eldritch battery instead if Blood Magic, which would allow you to run auras and have tons of mana as well. The disadvantage is how far it is (9 points for you). Would it be a good idea to push that way instead of Blood Magic?

I see you don't go for any increased fire damage nodes close to the witch (Immolation, for example) or the Arsonist node close to Blood Magic. Why is that? Wouldn't they make the explosion much more deadly?

Thanks!
"
Obermeir wrote:
Hi there,

I'm very interested in taking up your build, looks awesome. I've already got all the pieces except Elemental Proliferation, too, so that's nice.

I have a few questions.

You don't use Cloak of Flame anymore? Seems really solid. Is it because it's now too weak protection-wise? I would think that maxing out in fire resistance would save you a lot of damage when equipping it.

I just want to make sure I understand what you're doing with Elemental Equilibrium. I see only one effect that adds damage of another element to your hit (1-5 lightning). So, what you're doing here is making them more resistant to lightning in order to make them 50% less resistant to fire (on top of the curse), which deals more damage and gains you life. Is this what happens?

Also, why not start from the Marauder? It seems like you would get to your important nodes much faster and not have to grab the weaker nodes by starting at the Scion. Those four points (1.2 life regen and 12 life) seem like they could be better spent elsewhere.

I've seen some EA builds go for Eldritch battery instead if Blood Magic, which would allow you to run auras and have tons of mana as well. The disadvantage is how far it is (9 points for you). Would it be a good idea to push that way instead of Blood Magic?

I see you don't go for any increased fire damage nodes close to the witch (Immolation, for example) or the Arsonist node close to Blood Magic. Why is that? Wouldn't they make the explosion much more deadly?

Thanks!

1.) He is playing this in Nemesis, a HC league, so it is not worth the loss of survivability just to do more damage when EA already 1-shots almost everything except some rares, and obviously not one-shotting uniques.

2.) I believe what you said with EE is correct, but I am tired and the wording seems odd to me. Basically the +cold or lightning damage from gear is used with the Split Arrow to make them weak to fire and the other element that did not hit them.

3.) The build can be done from marauder but the wasted .4% life regen nodes could also be better spent by starting down the projectile speed tree for Scion instead, which is what should be done since .4% life regen is a waste of points and +12 life is a waste.

4.) It is possible to do the build as EB but life is easier to gear for and play. It can be done but would require better gear.

5.) EA already does a ridiculous amount of damage. I am currently one shotting white and blue packs in a party of 5 with a 4L. Every extra link you have increases damage greatly so my damage will just go up. Also its best to get burn damage nodes since burn does not reflect while fire damage nodes increases explosion damage which does reflect.
Thanks for the reply!

For the Cloak of Flame, what I'm thinking is that if you have 77% fire resistance, wouldn't you end up preventing a whole lot of damage using it anyways, since it converts 20% of damage taken into fire? I haven't done any math, so it might not be worth it in the end.

Say you're dealt 100 physical damage, and you have Cloak + 77% resistance. 20% is converted to fire (20 damage), and you're dealt only 33% of that damage. In the end you only take 86.6 damage. Worth it?

I see no Projectile Speed nodes anywhere near the Scion. There are attack speed nodes (which make you end up really far away from the rest of the build), and there are Projectile Damage nodes (which are even more useless than the regen nodes here). Unfortunately, the current setup seems like the best place to start from the Scion. The next best place (imo) would be to waste a point on the melee damage and pick up +18 to all resistances on the way to Sentinel.

Or you could start at Marauder and get some tasty life nodes + Diamond Flesh below the Duelist or some sweet armor nodes.
Currently following this build and am at level 32 doing dock runs. I'm having major DPS issues right now, as well as survivability from spamming EA. Any advice? Does this build get stronger when I reach the +burn damage nodes because right now I got to BM and am going up the loop.
"
PigOfPain wrote:
Currently following this build and am at level 32 doing dock runs. I'm having major DPS issues right now, as well as survivability from spamming EA. Any advice? Does this build get stronger when I reach the +burn damage nodes because right now I got to BM and am going up the loop.

Yes the +burn damage nodes greatly increase your damage and make sure to pick up elemental equilibrium also. It plays a really big role when it comes to dealing damage. This does however require at least a 3-link so you can get split arrow, chain and life on hit on it. It should also fix your survivability issues since the life on hit hitting a whole pack of mobs will fill your hp to full from 1-2 hits. If youre online I you should message me and I can look at your gear and maybe make suggestions or talk to you ingame

Would you mind posting a link to your passive tree so I can see what point youre at?
"
Obermeir wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

For the Cloak of Flame, what I'm thinking is that if you have 77% fire resistance, wouldn't you end up preventing a whole lot of damage using it anyways, since it converts 20% of damage taken into fire? I haven't done any math, so it might not be worth it in the end.

Say you're dealt 100 physical damage, and you have Cloak + 77% resistance. 20% is converted to fire (20 damage), and you're dealt only 33% of that damage. In the end you only take 86.6 damage. Worth it?

I see no Projectile Speed nodes anywhere near the Scion. There are attack speed nodes (which make you end up really far away from the rest of the build), and there are Projectile Damage nodes (which are even more useless than the regen nodes here). Unfortunately, the current setup seems like the best place to start from the Scion. The next best place (imo) would be to waste a point on the melee damage and pick up +18 to all resistances on the way to Sentinel.

Or you could start at Marauder and get some tasty life nodes + Diamond Flesh below the Duelist or some sweet armor nodes.

I like the points you bring up. They've given me a lot of food for thought and I'm going to paly around with the build after hitting 80 so I can accurately compare my damage in some maps to see if I can hit a sweetspot in terms of the passive skill tree.

Cloak of flame is a good item and as long as you have your 3 resists maxed out its fine to use (due the to the high life the build provides) but I only use it for farming. When I move to maps (today or tomorrow as I'm currently lvl 74) I'm trying to buy a 5L armor chest so I can get the armor from it and possibly an astral so I can over-cap my resists for map mods. I think using cloak of flame later on will sacrifice too much defence in terms of armor and resists seeing as currently I'm overcapping fire resist by over 30%

As for projectile speed I feel that the Quill Rain provides enough bonus to projectile speed as a perfect roll can yield a 100% projectile speed.

After making this guide I've played around with the skill tree more and will most likely opt for the attack speed nodes just south of the Scion tree which will change the way I link the nodes coming from the BM node to save 1 point. Depending on the damage I deal in maps to reflect mobs I'll either get the +projectile damage nodes as shown currently or then go for movement speed or evasion+armour.

As for the Marauder tree - the current build does get Diamond Skin and the health nodes as well. Just to clear things up here's my skill tree at lvl 74

"
ArtyMiss wrote:
the wasted .4% life regen nodes could also be better spent by starting down the projectile speed tree for Scion instead

As pointed out by ArtyMiss the life regen nodes at the beginning can be allocated in projectile damage in stead since you will get plenty of life regen anyways. at lvl 74 I have 300.6 life regen so more than enough for a ranged build. I just like to play in a very safe way so that why the build goes a bit overkill into health/health regen.

My next 2 points are going to complete the 3-point attack speed cluster and then I'm going for some armour but only after I have some base armour on my gear for the nodes to scale off of.

Last edited by deagle_dom on Oct 31, 2013, 2:14:34 PM
"
deagle_dom wrote:
"
PigOfPain wrote:

Yes the +burn damage nodes greatly increase your damage and make sure to pick up elemental equilibrium also. It plays a really big role when it comes to dealing damage. This does however require at least a 3-link so you can get split arrow, chain and life on hit on it. It should also fix your survivability issues since the life on hit hitting a whole pack of mobs will fill your hp to full from 1-2 hits. If youre online I you should message me and I can look at your gear and maybe make suggestions or talk to you ingame

Would you mind posting a link to your passive tree so I can see what point youre at?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAAecUcSj6NZI26DrhQYdBqkrITeNYr2h0bqp4DYLHiPGUoKZXpwinMKlurFm18rc-uJPYTdpi2t3fv-dj6-7yRfno_gr-jw== I have a 6 socket 4 link Quill Rain and other then that below average gear... Running EA+Faster Projectiles+Elemental P+ Chance to ignite, and Split Arrow + Add lightning damage

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info