{EDITED} GUIDE to exploding sh*t with arrows - Video --- NEMESIS -

Merciless Docks at lvl 78. Just showcasing the build and clear potential.

Ok so since this thread is getting more attention than I originally expected, I'm improving the guide and making it a bit more in-depth. Thanks for all the feedback and comments!

So about the build - As the game stands now I believe that the Explosive Arrow build is one of the strongest builds (if not the strongest) at the moment when factoring in cost efficiency (INCREDIBLY affordable build), damage output, survivability, clear speed, ability to do map mods. (Note the fact that I'm talking as a NEMESIS player so the build is primarily designed for Hardcore leagues although it works just as well in Softcore)

GEMS
Spoiler
All are in order of priority

Main skill:

4L - Explosive Arrow / Chance to Ignite / Elemental Proliferation / Fire Penetration

5L - +Increased Burning Damage

6L - +Concentrated Effect (if you feel that you're lacking in explosion damage which is unlikely) |OR| Item Rarity |OR| Increased Area of Effect

Secondary skill

4L - Split Arrow / Life Gained on Hit / Chain or Fork / Culling Strike

5L - +Item Rarity

6L - +Item Quantity |OR| Fork

Curse

4L - Flammability / Faster Casting / Increased Area of Effect / Increased Duration

Unused slots

4L - Lightning Warp / Faster Casting / Reduced Duration / Portal

4L - Cast on Damage Taken / Enduring Cry / Molten Shell / Increased Duration

If you want a distraction for enemies to mitigate damage away from yourself you might opt to go for a Spell Totem with Summon Skeletons for example.

NOTE that getting quality on Explosive Arrow and Increased Burning Damage is highly suggested since they increase your chance to ignite enemies

Gear to get
Spoiler

Quill Rain - core of the build

Goldrim Cap - I highly suggest for leveling

Carcass Jack - not a priority or even a necessity but a nice option

Cloak of Flame - a low level unique that is cheap and a nice boost to damage (if youre health and resists allow it). Good to farm with.

Kaom's Heart - ideally you want to have a Kaom's Heart cos its godly for this build especially after the change. If you're lucky enough to build up wealth to buy one or if you bribe Chris and get one as a "random drop" then you will have to use Split Arrow on a 4L and drop the last 4L I listed.

What to look for in other gear - To accommodate your Dexterity requirements for leveling up EA you will want to get a Light Quiver. Also attack speed on any items i.e. quiver or gloves is a stat youre looking for. Jewelry can have percentual fire damage which will increase your deeps so thats a mod to look out for also. Other than that you will just want to max out your resists and ideally overcap them by about 30% for maps which will be easy and affordable as you don't actually need other stats on gear.

So basically:

- Life
- Resists
- Dex
- Attack Speed
- Percentual Fire damage
- Increased Item Rarity
(last two are really just luxuries)

Bandit Rewards
Spoiler

Normal - Help Oak (in my opinion all life based builds should always help him in normal)

Cruel - You can either help Kraityn for +8% attack speed or kill all for skill point, your choice

Merciless - Kill all for skill point

Leveling & Passive Skill Tree
Spoiler

As a Scion it's easy to start as a Spectral Thrower since that skill is just broken as the game stands at the moment. Follow the build tree as listed below and swap to explosive arrow once you get Blood Magic at around level 30-35 (should have about 1.3 - 1.5K health at this point). You will probably have to rely somewhat on health pots for a few levels but the damage starts to really be strong already at this low level.

While leveling note that you should get Elemental Equilibrium when you meet these conditions:
1) Your gear does not have + x-x Fire Damage on any piece of gear (you dont want to trigger Elemental Equilibrium with Fire damage when shooting Split Arrow

2) You have +x-x cold/lightning damage on some gear (Quiver, Rings, Gloves, Ammy)

3) Your split arrow is at least a 3-link with Split Arrow, Life Gained on Hit, Chain or Fork

Below I've listed the Passive Skill Tree progression

37 Skill points

64 Skill points

85 Points

Final Build
Option 1 - This version has high life, high armor and less damage

Option 2 - This version has more damage, Iron Reflexes but less armor and health

Important points about the build:

- Both the arrow and the explosion are projectiles so this means that using GMP or LMP will DECREASE your damage output.

- Burning damage does not trigger Elemental Equilibrium.

- Burning damage does not get reflected!

- Weapon elemental damage and elemental damage bonuses from gear will not apply to Explosive Arrow with the exception of X% INCREASED FIRE DAMAGE (percentual increased fire damage)

- Burned corpses can trigger Elemental Proliferation

Conclusion:

This build is extremely effective at taking out groups of mobs. Basically after you switch to Explosive Arrow you will be able to 1-shot any group of white mobs and most blue mobs plus some rares that are your respective level. An AE Scion is a great damage dealer in any given group and when I run in groups I have yet to see anyone match my DPS. The only downside to the build is single target damage which isn't even worth dwelling on when considering how insanely good the build is in other respects. Basically youre left praying to RNGod when it comes to single target killing (whether or not you ignite your target) so yea, just stack some fuses and wait for the BOOM. If that fu*ker doesnt burn do it again.

Feel free to comment or PM me with any criticism, questions etc....

CHEERS!

Just for shits and giggles here's a photo of a soul eater summoner who kept summoning more and more souls to be eaten. Eventually it got fairly big... thank god it didn't have a regen mod!
Last edited by deagle_dom on Nov 18, 2013, 7:03:08 PM
Helo sir, your name have Radi Ma'mun Shammas. My is address 125 Rue Abdelaziz Thâalbi. Your beild is of most interest to me and my ancestor. I vision have build your were I down loaded निर्वासन के पथ?
Last edited by ginok on Oct 29, 2013, 7:11:18 PM
"
ginok wrote:
Helo sir, your name have Radi Ma'mun Shammas. My is address 125 Rue Abdelaziz Thâalbi. Your beild is of most interest to me and my ancestor. I vision have build your were I down loaded path of extra?

word
Does is work on Bosses ?
Does the leech effect on you split arrow combi works fine for leeching life ?
Can you make a small gameplay vid ?

I love ignite, but i cant find a nice build. Yours looks nice. If i rip i will try it out.
Yea EA works fine for bosses. So far I havent ran into any major issues. The only downside to this build is the fact that when killing single targets (i.e. bosses) you rely on the chance to ignite. You might not always igntie on the first round of arrows like you will on packs of mobs (due to elemental proliferation) but yea it works fine. As an example I can kill the merciless ledge totem boss with one rotation if it ignites. Most yellows go down to the first burn but some take 2 or 3 depending on their mods (extra life and resist etc).

As for the life leech its important to note that the gem is Life on Hit and NOT Life Leech. This means that theres a base value of health restored for each mob hit. Chain+Fork combined with split arrow ensures that you hit more than enough mobs. I can literally walk into the middle of any pack in merciless docks, face tank it with 5.5k health (with no health on chest) and get my arrows off followed by split arrow. I come out full health each time no problem.

Ill try and make a gameplay video in the near future to show how well the build works.
Last edited by deagle_dom on Nov 15, 2013, 6:51:06 AM
Is it worth doing this build without getting Quill Rain first?
Would this be good in HC?
I am playing a EE build as well, but I play by far different.
the build sounds okay, but why split arrow + chain + life on hit AND LMP - there is no need for LMP, go get culling in there!

i run a abolute different EE build, you can make that easily with a templar or marauder as well, loosing the scion advantage (i am on pure evasion with acrobatics, phase acrobatics, ondar's guile and specced a bit up to witch for AoE and burning damage and purity of flesh and crit chance)

anyways, build quite solid, but get culling ;-)
"
gloobonious wrote:
I am playing a EE build as well, but I play by far different.
the build sounds okay, but why split arrow + chain + life on hit AND LMP - there is no need for LMP, go get culling in there!

i run a abolute different EE build, you can make that easily with a templar or marauder as well, loosing the scion advantage (i am on pure evasion with acrobatics, phase acrobatics, ondar's guile and specced a bit up to witch for AoE and burning damage and purity of flesh and crit chance)

anyways, build quite solid, but get culling ;-)

passive tree? :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info