Realyn's release EK Marauder build. Tanky as Hell! Level 20 gem/gear update!

Hello,

usually I'm not the guy who creates this kind of threads, but I've gotten some messages on Reddit and ingame asking what my build is. So here it is :). I'll try to keep it short and clean.

Wondered how tanky this build is? Check: http://www.twitch.tv/realyyn/c/3177614
Wild Brutus appears: http://www.twitch.tv/realyyn/c/3194094

Update 05.11: This is my current(lvl 87) build:

Shameless self plug: I've started to let a stream run while playing. You can check out the build and say hello :). http://www.twitch.tv/realyyn

Background
I've used this build on my first Nemesis char. As of today(4th day) I'm currently in the top20 of the ladder.

What this build is good at:

-No gear requirements. I'm not lying, I've bought 4 or maybe 5 gems/items so far. Faster Casting, Purity and the 6link are all I can think of right now. I've used grey 4 linked gloves from lvl 20-60 just for the sockets.

-Incredible survivability.

-Able to run allmost all end game maps, especially half/no regen.

-Good quest rewards. You can sell Reduced Mana and alot of other stuff.

What this build is bad at:

-Single target damage can be a bit low, but I'll get to this point later.

MyGear

This is my MF gear I use for 70 maps

Stats
http://i.imgur.com/DbZaOdj.jpg

I'm currently running Haste because someone else in my 3 man party has Deter. Without Haste I have 500 dps less and ~4k armor more

update: My dps on lvl 90 is 7,9k

EndgameItems
Here is a list of "perfect" items you should aim for:

Weapon: Spell Damage, Faster Casting, Faster Projectiles

Armor: 6 link, stats don't really matter

Boots: Rare, 30 % MS, Life, (Chaos) Resists

Gloves: Life, (Chaos) resists or Voidbringer or Maligaro's Virtuosity

Helmet: Alpha's Howl

Shield: Lioneye's Remorse or Saffell's Frame

Belt: 24% Phys Damage, Armor, Life, (Chaos) Resists

Jewellery: Cast speed, Spell Damage, Life, (Chaos) Resists, Ming's Heart

Weapon switch: Attack speed, 2+ meele skills, +1 all skills

Auras

Trying to sustain EK with mana as a Marauder is allmost impossible, which why is we are using blood magic. This also frees up our mana pool for aura stacking.

Without Alpha's Howl you need a lvl 17 Reduced Mana gem and 16% reduced mana from the skill tree to run Hatred, Purity and Grace

With Alpha's Howl you need a lvl 18 reduced mana and 16% reduced mana from the skill tree to run Hatred, Grace and Determinaton

SkillSetup

4/5/6 link: EK, Added Fire, Life Leech, Blood magic. 5th link is Faster Casting and the 6th Faster Projectiles

4 link: Reduced Mana, Aura, Aura, Aura

4 link: Bear Trap, Added Fire, Blood Magic, Chance to Ignite

4 link: Cast When Damage taken(lvl 1), Decoy Totem, Molten Shell, Endurying Cry

3 link: Blood Magic, Endurying Cry, Projectile Weakness

3 link: Cast when Damage Taken(lvl 20), Enfeeble, Immortal Call

Weapon Switch: Viper Strike, Empower, Faster Attacks

Bandits
Help Oak everytime for HP, Physical Damage and the Endurance Charge.

Gameplay

Well it's EK. You basically run into a room, try to gather as many mobs as possible and spam EK. If a rare surives use your weapon switch, put 4 Viper Strike stacks on him and throw some Bear Traps. That's really all there is.

Leveling
Use Leap Slam, Cleave or your favorite spell for the first ~30 levels. It's rather slow to level with EK until you get Hatred and Added fire Damage going.

That should be everything important. If people are interested I'll add some more stuff.
Last edited by Realyn on Nov 17, 2013, 7:06:37 AM
Nice, been looking for something like this. Probably going to try it out soon.
Very nice thanks for sharing.
TFIGEGKTB
Awesome, I've got a 71 Marauder I've been wanting to respec, this sounds like the perfect build for it, as I've never tried EK. Might let you know how it goes, if it goes well lol
IGNs: WuTangSlammer / PacBlood / VirtuousVice / TheGravelPit

GMT-7/UTC-8
"
Vodkaholic wrote:
Awesome, I've got a 71 Marauder I've been wanting to respec, this sounds like the perfect build for it, as I've never tried EK. Might let you know how it goes, if it goes well lol
Hey, nice to hear.

High level gems are very important for EK. It's a huuuge difference between lvl 16-20 EK/Viper Strike/Bear Trap. So don't get frustrated by the low dmg if you are using a lvl ~12 one.
I have been lurking the forums all morning searching for a beginner EK build and just now came across this, precisely what I was looking for I'm definitely diving into a new character when I get home from work.

I'm going to be playing domination league. With that said, what changes would you make to the skill tree along with anything else? And can I assume I will find the needed gems as I level up? Lastly for leveling self-found /vendor gear what would be the priority with linking my skills?

I appreciate your time answering questions and developing this thread build
Chris plz

Gimme good RNG
upppa
"
Immortxlz wrote:
I have been lurking the forums all morning searching for a beginner EK build and just now came across this, precisely what I was looking for I'm definitely diving into a new character when I get home from work.

I'm going to be playing domination league. With that said, what changes would you make to the skill tree along with anything else? And can I assume I will find the needed gems as I level up? Lastly for leveling self-found /vendor gear what would be the priority with linking my skills?

I appreciate your time answering questions and developing this thread build
If you don't mind starting as a Scion because everybody plays one I would do that. The Marauder has access to very few spell damage/crit nodes to boost his damage. As Scion however you can grab ~10 cast speed/spell damage nodes in trade for some life.

You'll need to create a few lvl 1 chars for skills like Bear Trap, EK, Fire Trap(for leveling) and so on. The only skills you won't find later on are Faster Casting and Purity. Check: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Quest_Rewards .

I leveled with Leap Slam to about ~35 at which point I switched to EK/ Added Fire/ Blood Magic/ Life Leech. Using EK before can be a pain in the ass with it's mana costs.
I started this but I quickly realized the early levels were a pain trying to get a wand I could use and kill at a decent speed.

Any reccomendations for the early levels of getting started with this build, I got to act 2, but ledge was pretty slow moving as was cove.
"
itsSparkky wrote:
I started this but I quickly realized the early levels were a pain trying to get a wand I could use and kill at a decent speed.

Any reccomendations for the early levels of getting started with this build, I got to act 2, but ledge was pretty slow moving as was cove.

Hey,

just use your favorite skill for leveling until you find a good wand. You can level all your EK gems in the weapon swap.

edit:Oh, and your damage is so low because you are missing Hatred and Added Fire. Those 2 skills make up alot of damage.
Last edited by Realyn on Oct 27, 2013, 9:14:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info