PvP Feedback

chaos dmg atm is shit in pvp and even by specing into full degen nodes in 1.3 it will never be as good as it was. iv been fucking around with it in nemesis pvp before and after nerf. even with the power it had before nerfs a couple of gear swapping in the arena made it easy to counter.
100 Marauder - Hardcore
28 PvP Duelist (271/69), 100 PvP Marauder (1147/219)- Standard [Retired in 2014]
The most reliable cross league trader HC <----> SC
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2320004
IGN: BNDTJE
"
MrDigital wrote:
I think RF will get near impossible to kill when 1.03 comes up with the possibility to increase the DOT damage. Also my personal hate, viper strike and massive chaos damage will come back with this (Im sure you level 92 are the person who uses this).
I use Bringer of Rain and have to change four items to get full chaos resist. This is near impossible with all the gems to do it in the arena. GGG should really lower the DOT damage in PVP and also RF should be possible to block with spell block, because it is a spell. But this doesnt work.

Naxxx with the new nodes for time over time dmg and more life regen , rf will become more powerfull than it's now:P
Hi there,

I'm an old d2 pvp player, i think that poe and d2 are very similar (thats a compliment) i really enjoyed poe as a "pvm" game but never really tried pvp.

I just wanna give my opinion about the pvp, i wont offend any players arround.

So i'm sorry but i cant talk about poe pvp without having d2 in mind :P

So i tried (again) pvp few weeks ago, and i was surprised i enjoyed it even if i've still a lot of things to learn but i think i understand the way it works.

Here the few duels i've recorded, i wanted to show (to d2 players)that poe pvp had potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R3pCU0Y2FQ

The thing i like in poe (pvp and pvm) is that you can move fast (smth i liked in d2), compared to games like d3 which looks like slow motion...
Also you can namelock your opponents and do "combo" with your skills (hell yeah chainlocks)

But :

-I think maps are too small, bigger maps make the game more tactical (in team or 1v1)
-I dont really like the fact you can use flask in duel (even if you can use them once, so why not just delete them?). If your opponent can heal after being hitted, he has no reason to be offensive. Let say you face a guy that camp in a corner(i dont really care usualy cause i will always try to rush opponents but i guess this gameplay can be boring), if he takes dmg (from projectiles) then he will just heal with flask, if he cant heal (except from regeneration) he will need to move, so he cant hide anymore.
I don't know if there is a lot of very good defensive builds arround, so maybe this comment is useless.
-PvP is a little too much gear (also build but thats a good thing) dependent in my opinion, of course the best geared players must have an advantage against bad ones, but still an average player should be able to beat a well geared one just by his gameplay. Pvp should have some dmg/armor/life penalties or something like that.
-I dont really like the timing system, lets say you win the first round, if you hide and run the rest of the time and make draws, you win the duel ? (im not 100% sure about it but i guess its the way it works).
-Seems like that some builds are more powerful than others, (its always like that in everygame so it's ok) but in the end ppl will have the same builds, and it's sad cause poe have so much builds posibilities.

I have only few experience in pvp, so i'm sorry if some points are wrong, i just wanted to share them.
I have hope that the pvp will be amazing (with the tournaments etc)

No offense to anyone again, i love that game, including the pvp.

Regards,
DHA
DHA
I think we need to split the skills into PVP and PVE that way you could do all the nerfs you want for PVP without direct influence in the PVE realm. I mean PVE is just PVE with really no end game but PVP is competitive so balancing it frequently wouldn't influence PVE at all.
"
atrolotenri wrote:
I think we need to split the skills into PVP and PVE that way you could do all the nerfs you want for PVP without direct influence in the PVE realm. I mean PVE is just PVE with really no end game but PVP is competitive so balancing it frequently wouldn't influence PVE at all.

Many games, including Diablo 2, have done this to a varying degree. Many curses, for example, didn't work on players in D2.
Want to Fix the Economy, Bad Loot, Trade and Legacy PvP? pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Open Letter to Qarl on Crafting Value pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/805434
Biggest Problem with Mapping: Inconsistent Risk to Reward pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/612507
What really perplexes me, is Explosive arrow in pvp.

My friends and I have done some pretty extensive testing on it , and unlike any other skill in the game which clearly fall into certain categories ( Attack , Spell , Degeneration )

The purpose of this investigation was to determine whether the "Explosive" component of explosive arrow( not the actual arrow ) falls into any of the above mentioned categories.
Note that the initial "arrow" launched from the skill Explosive Arrow - can be blocked by Phys block.

Our findings were that the Explosive component of explosive arrow , cannot be:

Phys blocked
Spell Blocked
Attack dodged
Spell dodged
Evaded

-So is therefore not able to be currently categorized as any type of offensive action befitting our currently known types, in the way all other offensive skills are.

Furthermore fire penetration does work, allowing you to further decrease the last line of mitigation for any fire damage it deals.

Conclusion:
Cant mitigate it , cant resist it.
Killing another player with EA is absolutely easy versus anyone and with any character.

"
Iron_throne wrote:
What really perplexes me, is Explosive arrow in pvp.

My friends and I have done some pretty extensive testing on it , and unlike any other skill in the game which clearly fall into certain categories ( Attack , Spell , Degeneration )

The purpose of this investigation was to determine whether the "Explosive" component of explosive arrow( not the actual arrow ) falls into any of the above mentioned categories.
Note that the initial "arrow" launched from the skill Explosive Arrow - can be blocked by Phys block.

Our findings were that the Explosive component of explosive arrow , cannot be:

Phys blocked
Spell Blocked
Attack dodged
Spell dodged
Evaded

-So is therefore not able to be currently categorized as any type of offensive action befitting our currently known types, in the way all other offensive skills are.

Furthermore fire penetration does work, allowing you to further decrease the last line of mitigation for any fire damage it deals.

Conclusion:
Cant mitigate it , cant resist it.
Killing another player with EA is absolutely easy versus anyone and with any character.

It falls in a similar category of minion instability with summons I believe. The explosions with it can't be blocked, dodged, or evaded, and fire penetration can be used as well.

In order to make use of this mechanic with EA it has to be fired against a wall or some object which is what I generally do against melee.

Against ranged characters this mechanic can't really be used as they are generally out in the open(not close to any objects), a majority of the time.

Dodge and evasion(no RT) works against EA in this regard.

RF characters are extremely hard to kill with EA I've found as their initial fire res is around 90 or more. They also generally have high hp which goes a long way.

The same with high hp, high regen characters(Lordofgenocide, Bigdaddy) I find difficult to kill with it as well.
IGN: _Firebitch
Last edited by Firebrand76 on Dec 19, 2013, 1:15:38 PM
it would not make sense blocking explosions right?

in my research while playing a bit of nemesis was:

i built a cheap blocker with BoR(so i dont have to pay extra to get chest) and whatever else i sniped for cheap early on in the league

was using a 1alch shield (perandus OP)

my aim was to have fun in pvp and get lvl 88 to complete the passive i thought was good.

i lost twice in 70+ duels

result: ur block is bullshit so i ended up selling all my shit and buying something that is actually worth it- a mirror which i also sniped for 25 ex

what im telling u: 25ex and u have a good starter pvper

so maybe research a little more. EA is one of the few challenging specs to duel which involves tactic on both sides even though u sometimes see the EA guy just spamming a wall and maybe running around it. U still have to take the right measure to get in and not blow up

*no block here

100 Marauder - Hardcore
28 PvP Duelist (271/69), 100 PvP Marauder (1147/219)- Standard [Retired in 2014]
The most reliable cross league trader HC <----> SC
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2320004
IGN: BNDTJE
Stay away from EA stacked walls = profit. Its really just that simple.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
"
MullaXul wrote:
EK is the go to skill for anyone wanting to win. Its very forgiving on the tree side of things and naturally is great because armor is joke to begin with. Add natural critical chance any caster should have and well..the damage goes through the roof. You can't have enough armor in this game to deal with the damage. Let alone most players couldn't ever live a critical with even a smallish 300% multiplier...not to mention the achievable 900%+. Most match ups boil down to this "Do I get 1hit by a critical or do I get lucky and he doesn't critical". Its been beaten to death by now though, we all know whats wrong with pvp here. Casters will delusionally say block/molten/criticals/tempest shield and penetration gems aren't an issue. Melee will delusionally think melee sucks...when melee with a shield is just as good as any caster with a shield. Wish GGG had an avid pvper amongst the devs, one that has been in the arena to see how cookie cutter and exploited it is. Not one that just pops in a few times if he ever does at all, sees a few guys and chalks it up as "working as intended". Theres a reason why everyones using a shield and the same assortment of skills, their proven and require little effort. You're the champion of the arena by just recasting Molten shell repeatidly til you land a critical for fuck sake. Or going RF and just standing near someone. The more they work towards improving pvm the more pvp gets further fucked in the ass with every new addition to the game.

and the sad part is pvm in this game is soooo fucked as well lol, endgame system so heavily skewed ... monsters are so easy to kill except for that 1 in a million damage spike that surprises you out of nowhere ... namely dominus smash, vaal smash, piety megaera and some other bosses with -max / vuln / dmg mods, and a rare bear or vulture with map and rare mods making hit for 10k. And nemesis bullshit like storm herald, corrupt blood and flame/stormblood explosions. In d2 even normal monsters would scare you, like gloams vipers suiciders succubi mintoaurs etc. Why this game got GOTY award from gamespot just proves how many braindead monkeys there are out there. You dont give an arpg an award because you played through normal mode and enjoyed it for a few hours.

Maps need lots of currency to improve quality and affixes, high end map drops are still hard to come along, and hence sustaining high end pool is super difficult unless you rmt or trade exalts all day, new recipe for chisels is a fucking JOKE, and the best uniques and rares / craftables still need high maps, and last but not least ... EXP, only in high maps is found, cuz the lunaris exp 'buff' was a joke too.

love the bolded part tho
Last edited by theamazingjojo on Jan 6, 2014, 6:50:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info