Arc

"
Aimeryan wrote:
Are there any map-weaver fights (or, of a similar vein)? I am assuming these might still be near impossible if so, and therefore the interception issue would still exist - however, I could be wrong. Technically, most maps are done in groups anyway, so the issue may not be noticeable even if it does exist for maps.

The lower level map versions are relatively easy and can be done with just using Arc but when i run Jungle Valley (72) on my lvl 80 (now 81) Witch, i usually skip the boss.

When in a group, i would use a combination of Arc for damage support/shock, Flameblast to clear larger areas and LMP Fireball in case the boss jumps me and i can shotgun all projectiles on it.

What i mean is that Arc now is a good all round spell but is certainly not a one-size-fits-all one and i always try to bring a certain arsenal for different situations, especially when running in a group (ever tried Crit Weakness + Diamond Flask + Flameblast when someone in the group uses Vaal Cyclone? ;)).
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
"
Aimeryan wrote:
"
nevidonas wrote:
arc is good for mobs.
but what lightning skill to use for single mob? like boss?

Arc before supports it will be about equal to Storm Call against a single target (if you get all the Storm Calls to hit), but the mana cost of Storm Call is better. Throwing in supports (especially a 6-linked Arc vs a 4-linked Storm Call), Arc will be better, but even more mana intensive (which is an issue because bosses are usually the single-target and thus require sustainability + no extra mobs to mana leech from).

Spark can shotgun, and take LMP/GMP; this is your winner. That said, 4-link vs 6-link... would have to look at it more carefully, but I still think Spark will come out ahead.

For single target, provided that you can keep it still, storm call + conc effect + other supports will outdamage anything you can get with arc and most probably with spark.

This is incredibly powerful now. Lightning Pen is levelling because I was using Chain until now (and now it's HORRIBLE for Arc).

But it completely sweeps enemies away.

The number of hits, the chances to crit, curse or shock are amazing.

Everything dies in 1-2 casts. Maps included.

My build was functional before the boost.

They raised the number of hits, which let me drop Chain, which effectively doubled my damage.

They raised the damage by 60%.

I could swap Pen in to my empty socket.

Tooltip shows 3500 damage (and penetrates enemy resistances now). It showed 1100 prior to patch.
It's worth noting that +2 maps are a dangerous thing.
They can cause players to get out of their depth -
playing maps that are too hard for the items they currently have. Herp Derp.
Last edited by RickyDMMontoya on Apr 8, 2014, 10:39:42 AM
"
I was using Chain until now (and now it's HORRIBLE for Arc).

Spoilers: it was always bad for Arc anyways.
"
LogoOnPoE wrote:
For single target, provided that you can keep it still, storm call + conc effect + other supports will outdamage anything you can get with arc and most probably with spark.

I bow to your knowledge on these things.
"
Aimeryan wrote:
"
LogoOnPoE wrote:

Knowledge comes from wiki, you just need to calculate it :)
"
LogoOnPoE wrote:
"
Aimeryan wrote:
"
LogoOnPoE wrote:

Knowledge comes from wiki, you just need to calculate it :)

I didn't go too deep into analysing it (far to many variables when you include supports for things you are not familiar with), and I haven't used Storm Call. The concentrated effect I could easily see giving it the edge over Arc.

I feel for single target, shotgun Spark would probably do the job just fine. Storm Call would require the target to not move around (as you mentioned), which may or may not be so. Personally, to avoid the faff, I would go Spark if I was to stay lightning-based; probably using Wand Barrage|GMP|CoCS|Spark (4 link, add extras if choosing to make it your 6 link). Still, if the target stays still maybe Storm Call + those supports you linked would be better.
Last edited by Aimeryan on Apr 8, 2014, 9:13:22 PM
Arc now has 5 chains and does decently moderate damage. It works now, which is great, but I feel like it could still do with some changing.

The chain support gem would be nice to be able to (effectively) use on arc, so I suggest arc does increasing damage to each enemy chained to; as it stands, chain on arc feels completely useless.

I don't have an actual % damage suggestion, but I thought this was a good idea to throw out.
Last edited by Fell_Arms on Apr 8, 2014, 10:48:53 PM
"
Aimeryan wrote:
"
Damage Effectiveness no longer applies to base damage of spells. It does apply to Added Chaos and Added Lightning though, making those supports subpar.

Empower is the way to go for Arc because it increases the base damage.

Arguable now. 6 hits at 50% damage effectiveness means 300% effectiveness of those supports; that is not too bad. It is true that aoe spells get better support out of the 'added x' supports (more targets hit, greater base damage effectiveness), but Arc is not as shafted as it was.

Empower is still better, since you're getting comparable damage even including the six bounces, only at a lower mana cost multi. The only real difference is that Add Chaos and Add Light won't set you back 8 or 9 chaos.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on Apr 8, 2014, 11:40:56 PM
"
"
Aimeryan wrote:
"
Damage Effectiveness no longer applies to base damage of spells. It does apply to Added Chaos and Added Lightning though, making those supports subpar.

Empower is the way to go for Arc because it increases the base damage.

Arguable now. 6 hits at 50% damage effectiveness means 300% effectiveness of those supports; that is not too bad. It is true that aoe spells get better support out of the 'added x' supports (more targets hit, greater base damage effectiveness), but Arc is not as shafted as it was.

Empower is still better, since you're getting comparable damage even including the six bounces, only at a lower mana cost multi. The only real difference is that Add Chaos and Add Light won't set you back 8 or 9 chaos.

Oh, I agree Empower is very nice for Arc (possibly one of the best supports for it), I was just mentioning that the "added x" supports are possibly worth using now (in one of the other links, not replacing Empower).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info