Cast when Damage Taken

Actual State:
CwDT level 20 can activate spells, up to a reqired level of 69, when you receive 3240 damage.

Target State:
The incoming damage, needed to cast a connected spell, should be calculated by the required level of the spell-gem.

Example Setup to clarify what I mean

CwDT level 20 in a 4-link item, linked with:

Frost Wall level 1 -> Frost Wall cast when 440 damage taken

Molten Shell level 10 -> Molten Shell cast when 780 damage taken

Enduring Cry level 14 -> Enduring Cry cast when 1850 damage taken
Last edited by atode on Mar 11, 2014, 4:29:24 PM
thats a good thought, but it will take awhile for them to implement that if they (GGG) like it.

damage taken requirements based on the supported gem's level sounds like a great idea to spread things out and also enable the support gem itself to be less locked in itself.
I like that idea too; it makes the whole thing less finicky and allows greater customisation.
Last edited by Aimeryan on Mar 11, 2014, 4:13:48 PM
It's all but impossible to describe how it would work without utilising paragraphs.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
It's all but impossible to describe how it would work without utilising paragraphs.

The tooltips for the spells linked to CwDT, when hovered over in the action-bar, say how much damage taken is required to cast them. Atode's suggestion would mean that number is dependent on the spell gem's level instead, and could be seen by in that tooltip.
"
atode wrote:
Actual State:
CwDT level 20 can activate spells, up to a reqired level of 69, when you receive 3240 damage.

Target State:
The incoming damage, needed to cast a connected spell, should be calculated by the required level of the spell-gem.

Example Setup to clarify what I mean

CwDT level 20 in a 4-link item, linked with:

Frost Wall level 1 -> Frost Wall cast when 440 damage taken

Molten Shell level 10 -> Molten Shell cast when 780 damage taken

Enduring Cry level 14 -> Enduring Cry cast when 1850 damage taken

i really like this idea.
IGN: Anquaii
I have CwDT setup with Enduring Cry and Immortal Call, maybe 10% of the time Immortal Call fails to cast and I only get a few Endurance Charges from Enduring Cry. I have my gems set up in a proper order. Is this a known bug or what's going on?

EDIT: Never mind, noticed Immortal Call has half a second cooldown.
Last edited by Alhoon on Mar 12, 2014, 5:09:51 PM
"
Aimeryan wrote:
The tooltips for the spells linked to CwDT, when hovered over in the action-bar, say how much damage taken is required to cast them. Atode's suggestion would mean that number is dependent on the spell gem's level instead, and could be seen by in that tooltip.

Yeeess, and how exactly is that not incredibly vague? Are you expecting people to just kind of memorise the Damage Taken thresholds and make decisions based on that?
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Aimeryan wrote:

Yeeess, and how exactly is that not incredibly vague? Are you expecting people to just kind of memorise the Damage Taken thresholds and make decisions based on that?

Why would they need to memorise them?! First, wiki. Second, the damage taken threshold would be based on the gem level (which can be stated on the CwDT gem as easily as I just wrote) - so it is obvious that any decision would basically come down to "Do I want a higher level version cast, but less often?".

The way it is now is far more confusing and finicky; say you have molten shell and enduring cry. You may want molten shell at as high a level as possible for more armour, more damage (upon exploding) and duration (time until it explodes). However, you may want enduring cry just to cast as often as possible (and asap on combat start). You need to have CwDT at the same required level as the gems you want to use it with for it to be optimum, but the gems want completely different levels. So, with the current version you either go with one ideal and suck it up that the other is going to suffer, or you use two CwDT gems at different levels in two different link setups - which is more hassle, more sockets, and may restrict you in other ways.

With Atode's suggestion, you level CwDT; no reason not to. You level enduring cry to the level you want it. You level molten shell to the level you want it. You put them all in the same link setup. What is confusing about that?
Last edited by Aimeryan on Mar 14, 2014, 12:37:09 PM
Try putting it in words they'd use in an actual gem description. "100% chance to Cast Supported Spells when you take a total amount of Damage based on Level of Supported Spells"? Wat. Not only is that incredibly long, it says absolutely nothing about the threshold except 'it exists'. The current iteration tells you exactly what the current threshold is, at least.

"
Aimeryan wrote:
So, with the current version you either go with one ideal and suck it up that the other is going to suffer, or you use two CwDT gems at different levels in two different link setups - which is more hassle, more sockets, and may restrict you in other ways.

The price of having Skills activated automatically with no resource cost or activation timer, I say. Yes, getting the most out of it takes a bit of effort. That goes for more than just CwDT. *shrug*

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info