Cast when Damage Taken

Could a Mark or someone please give us an update on how this gem is going to look on 1.0.1? It's not unreasonable to suspect the gem is on the list of things to balance, and unless any balancing comes with a free respec, I'm getting a little anxious about where I'm going to spend those last passive points on my build now that I'm out of respec points. OP or not, I've been sort of building my character around how well it adds to my surivivability.

A simple "Expect some changes", "We're satisfied with how it is for now", or "We'd like more time to observe it" would be enough for me!
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
"
WAWAMELONS wrote:
My game keeps crashing when using this gem with stuff like Summon Skeletons or Molten Shell. It's annoying as hell and it happens constantly.

Am I the only one this is happening to? Curses and Enduring cry are fine, but stuff like Summon Skeletons, Molten, sometimes even Summon Spectre, cause the game screen to turn cloudy white and that "this program has stopped working" error message to come up and then it closes the game after you click ok.
@wawamelons
#1 Hillock farmer NA
just tried to link this gem to smoke mine and it doesnt work. smoke mine is labeled as a spell in the description so i dont see why it wouldnt....

sort of thinking these 2 gems are glitched when paired together because when the damage threshold is surpassed, and if i already have a mine down, the mine disappears. keep in mind that CoDT doesnt trigger the mine to be placed at all, and i can still manually place it for some reason instead of it being greyed out on the toolbar like it should be.

all CoDT does with smoke mine is make it disappear if theres one placed, no teleporting, blind, speed increase, or anything. it just goes away......

any thoughts on this?
"
Raelys wrote:
just tried to link this gem to smoke mine and it doesnt work. smoke mine is labeled as a spell in the description so i dont see why it wouldnt....

sort of thinking these 2 gems are glitched when paired together because when the damage threshold is surpassed, and if i already have a mine down, the mine disappears. keep in mind that CoDT doesnt trigger the mine to be placed at all, and i can still manually place it for some reason instead of it being greyed out on the toolbar like it should be.

all CoDT does with smoke mine is make it disappear if theres one placed, no teleporting, blind, speed increase, or anything. it just goes away......

any thoughts on this?
think you'll need to link to a detonate gem that they (i think) planned but didn't make yet.
I trying to use Cold Snap+EleProfileration+Temporal Chains+Cast when damage taken, it works great, except one thing - I TAKE DAMAGE FROM COLD SNAP TOO! This is a bug or feature?
This Gem is totally ridiculous, I can't see how alphamembers could ever try this out and think "this is good as it is".

I guess somehow the intention from the developers was something like "look, we have this scion-class here, she is a hybrid, how can we build some kind of hybrid support gems ?", Then came those Idea's for "cast on...." so that the player can "randomly" activate some ice novas and other spells and do some random, unsupported low-dmg between fighting. She has access to spelldmg !, that could be pretty good. (It's not !)

But this gem.., holly cow...

To all the people who came now after release, let me tell you something.
(sry if this sounds arrogant, new players are great! that's not the prob.)

People did use enduring cry before 1.0, they used curses, they used molten shell, decoy totem and even Frostwall was a good defense mechanic in some cases.
Back then i thought Frostwall-totem was already OP Frost-knocking the enemys away while you can shoot through it with Freeze-pulse, Groundslam, ect.

A friend of mine plays with multiples of this Gem and its totally absurd.

1. thing is the always up time of Moltenshell, its like free 1k Armour, Grace (with iron reflex)reserves 60% of your mana for netting 2k !

2. the autofreecast of curses. This is a huge dps boost,
he is just running around spamming spectral through (an insane shavronnes low life 5 aura build, more on that later ) while not having to stop for anything. The seconds he can do dmg isntead of cursing is better then any dps cluster on the tree.

3.Frostwall/Decoy Totem just blows of the absurdity.

There comes one charger running at him from off-screen.. BäM! , Frostwall (together with shell curses ect.).. The mob gets pushed back, the way is blocked for any further mob to atack him. The mobs getting slayn till they realise what is going on and start walking around the wall to get him. Even if they are smart or lucky enough to net get totally confused by the wall.., whoops, there is a decoy totem, having to check that first. (even though it may be unreachable because of the frost wall too... ^.-)
You should see this in a fight against Piety, you feel sorry for her running around confused getting stoped from doing anything. This is far from a fair fight.

And this.. all together, with no cast time, no mana use nothing. For free!!
People forget that this not just comes with INSANE !!! defense, (rely, i don't like the obsessive use of exaggerations, but I can't hold myself on this one)
but also with crazy built in dmg boost.
As i told he is aruastacking crazy, walking around in shavs (getting 50% ats from Bloodrage on low-life) without IR or something, but this sick free-defense mechanics allow him to do so.

We both thought about how this Gem could be balanced, but don't rely see a way how it could work out.
The often before mentioned idea that it should trigger of a % Based life loss instead of Flat is probably the best approach, but still it would be quite unusable for actually doing damage. The balancing for like Tool-box spells should somehow have in mind what it would cost the player to actually cast those spells himself.

Looking at Phaserun from CB and the reason it was taken away (free buff that EVERY build uses) we already thought that this Gem actually would fit the same role.
But its not Beta anymore, and I see GGG just can't take things out of the game. Probably it won't be available in the next Leagues, but I am rely interested how they will fix this till then and in to some extend in Standard where it will always be available. Looking to the release schedules they have, we also might expect so many "op" gems coming that the usage whill just spread through them, but don't rely expecting that neither.

I hope they are not afraid of all those cries of new people who spend all there hard earned RMT 10-15 Chaoses on this Gem.
ign: UpForJava
Last edited by Upforsale on Nov 2, 2013, 12:43:03 PM
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
Raelys wrote:

any thoughts on this?
think you'll need to link to a detonate gem that they (i think) planned but didn't make yet.

i knew i would have to detonate it myself, im fine with that because i want to blow the mine when a big pack is over it

i think it would make for some fun solo play if this combo worked right, but again all it does it delete the mine i would have placed manually otherwise, and i know thats not intended.
I think it's entirely proper these supports don't support traps or mines. They shouldn't be spells in the first place imo.

"
Upforsale wrote:
We both thought about how this Gem could be balanced, but don't rely see a way how it could work out.

It has to be rendered into crap to be "balanced". Trigger off a percentage of life and energy shield, require mana to cast the spells. That would still be very, super broken, but fighters at least would find it less desirable and there'd be some cap in theory (but not practice) to the number of abilities attached to the thing.....

Yeah no I don't get how this was put in to begin with. We have a mana system that forbids you from spamming a basic unlinked Fireball, but this thing was thought to be kosher?

Even if it required you to take 100% of your life+energy shield before casting, that would still be busted.
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Nov 2, 2013, 1:46:34 PM
"
I think it's entirely proper these supports don't support traps or mines. They shouldn't be spells in the first place imo.

"
Upforsale wrote:

It has to be rendered into crap to be "balanced". Trigger off a percentage of life and energy shield, require mana to cast the spells. That would still be very, super broken, but fighters at least would find it less desirable and there'd be some cap in theory (but not practice) to the number of abilities attached to the thing.....

Yeah no I don't get how this was put in to begin with. We have a mana system that forbids you from spamming a basic unlinked Fireball, but this thing was thought to be kosher?

Even if it required you to take 100% of your life+energy shield before casting, that would still be busted.

It's a tough one, but I could see something like this work (of course it has it's downsides as well; the numbers are just made up and could be different, depending on balancing):

Cannot Cast Supported Spells directly
500% decreased Cast Speed
2% chance to Cast Supported Spells when you get hit.

Gem Leveling
2...10% chance to Cast Supported Spells when you get hit.

Gem Quality
Each percentage of quality adds 5% to Cast Speed.
"
Upforsale wrote:
This Gem is totally ridiculous, I can't see how alphamembers could ever try this out and think "this is good as it is".

It's good as it is.
I'm not a "pro gamer" that has uber-equip and skill to squeeze out everything out of the game. Of course this support gem can be powerful but don't forget there may be 90% "non pro" gamers that also want some fun. Call them casual, call them noobs but everyone has the right to play this game and GGG can't only balance PoE for some small elite players that want an huge challenge.
Since I can use CWDT I have fun again with my Melee Marauder.
You can trust me that it was not that fun to play PoE as Melee, Single Player, Selffound Chara way through Merciless. Not you finaly can have some fun again as Melee, Why people want to destroy that fun? If you don't like this skill, don't use it or play Ranged and/or a dodge evasion chara where CODT doesn't even make sense at all.

I don't want to suffer from nerfs that are basicly only because some hardcore gamers can abuse every game mechanic up to the astronomical values to faceroll through the game. Normal players always suffer from that, I know that, they nerfed my beloved bear traps TWICE! New Ranger build needed, no big deal but it was absolutely unnecessary.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info