A disturbing trend (Games are supposed to be hard)

Man if you been playing for 25 years then you would know that a good game doesn't just hand it over. Surely you were around during the years where games would gather dust on your shelf for years without you ever having finished it because you did NOT have what it takes. Then maybe one day you have a burst of mode and you pick it up, and somehow, you win. Then you're like, fuck you game, I beat you and you can go fuck yourself.

And it was awesome.
I guess I don't want to beat PoE and say "fuck you game, I beat you and you can go fuck yourself" and never come back to it again...
✠ ✠
You are probably bad at DotA
"
DaleWinters wrote:
You are probably bad at DotA

Maybe, but it doesn't make your point any more true.
✠ ✠
Man

My point needs not be proved

it is fact

best fact
"
Axebane wrote:
"
walinex wrote:

The real question is “What is the intended Target Market Niche of GGG developers?” Do they intend to include the full range of players, from comfortable casual gamers to full hardcore masochists? Or, are they intending a more focused difficulty range?

You don't have to speciulate because the answer can be found in the interviews and videos and Beta Manifesto forum.

GGG very much considers PoE to be a hardcore game. They don't seem to have any intention to try to mold the game into something that appeals to the largest possible market, but are instead trying to provide an experience that is becoming more and more rare in the gaming market: A deep, complex and challenging game with "character permanence" a strong economy, and intense competitions via several types of leagues/ladders.

They have a vision for the game, and they are sticking to it even if it means a smaller market share.

Here's a small quote from the Beta Manifesto forum that gives you an idea of what I'm talking about:

"
Chris wrote:
Path of Exile is going to become a lot harder in some places. We understand that new players want to be able to play through at least the first difficulty level with relative ease, but we also feel that our higher difficulty levels are not challenging enough.

Thanks for the reference Axebane.

Chris's description leaves a large spread of difficulty for a broad spread of players. With the first difficulty level at "with relative ease", and subsequent levels at ever increasing challenge, "becoming a lot harder", then there is something for everyone.

This would then leave "reasonable balance" to be squabbled over. :)
"

Are you serious? Thats the definition of good game design. If GGG does their job and makes every build reasonably balanced, of course you should be able to clear everything.

GGG's job is to create a system with a massive number of possible builds, where many but not all builds are viable. Your job as a player is to figure out which combination out of all possible ones are both viable and fun. In a non-casual game like PoE, you should not expect fun to be just handed to you on a platter, you have to do your part too!

Relevant:
Spoiler
Alteration Orb Union Local #7
"Holding the line, on sixteen to one!"
"
"
Axebane wrote:

The average gamer seems to have fallen into the trap of assuming that every character they play should be able to defeat every enemy and succeed against every challenge the game presents. How is THAT good game design?

Are you serious? Thats the definition of good game design. If GGG does their job and makes every build reasonably balanced, of course you should be able to clear everything.

This is the first time in over 25 years of playing games Ive seen/heard of someone suggesting that not being able to play the entire game on any given character is good game design. I seriously hope I've been trolled.

Look at my posting history if you want to find out whether I am a troll or not.

There are different opinions on what "good game design" is. My opinion is that if any build can beat all content in a game without facing much of a challenge, then build decisions are mostly meaningless. I also believe that game-play is much more rewarding when success is only achieved after many attempts. An easy challenge offers no real satisfaction upon completion, but a very difficult challenge offers a strong feeling of satisfaction upon completion.

Game designers used to understand this as a fundamental truth. The earliest games were arcade games, and reaching the highest level was nearly impossible even for the players with excellent hand-eye coordination who had played the game hundreds or even thousands of tries. Those arcade cabinets cost around $2,750 dollars back in the 1980s. That's about $5,863.54 dollars in 2012 dollars due to inflation.

Do you think the first video games would have ever paid for themselves at 25 cents per play if all players and all strategies were able to beat all the game content on the first play-through?
Last edited by Axebane on Oct 16, 2012, 5:38:28 PM
"
Technomage wrote:
Recently I have noticed a lot of people starting to complain that certain things are too hard or certain things do too much damage. I believe that in the rush to become the richest player with the biggest... er weapon, some people have forgotten what games are about.

Certainly there has to be balance, things should never be impossible for the average player. However games are supposed to be hard, especially games like PoE. It is (In my opinion) perfectly acceptable to die 26 times trying to kill that dam cold spear guy in the first act in first difficulty on the island, because when you do finally kill him without a death you feel you have accomplished something. You learn the mechanics, build a defense, and WIN. In end game if you stuff up, forget to cast, run or click the right thing then one should die (in game).

One should not jump on the forums or global chat and complain that armor/evasion/luck is broken and demand something to be done about it. If you don't like the challenge of making something work you have two options, one involves attempting to take a new approach and the other involves a park and a kite.

Games are supposed to be hard.

(Please note this post does not apply to those few people who are already winners and then provide constructive feedback on adjusting difficulty)

I think the challenge in POE should be learning to make builds work in merciless and then trying out new builds once your done with those. The game doesn't need to be super hard like the tried with D3 inferno. The only way they could make it hard enough was to add in cheap unavoidable damage which is really dumb. I don't necessarily think these games need to be really hard, just interesting and fun. Once you played the game for a little while Diablo 1 was not at all hard, but it was still a ton of fun.

IMO the correct way to balance this is to make a game like POE and then provide additional and optional content to challenge the top players. But don't make it so everyone feels obligated to play this content to gear up. Just make it for the challenge.

Edit: POE should be challenging enough that some builds just won't be good enough to play the end game. Then that player will have to find out what he/she did wrong and respec or start over.

If POE was too hard then we would see some D3 problems creep in. Less and Less builds would be viable and we would see more cookie cutters.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Oct 16, 2012, 5:51:27 PM
"
"
Axebane wrote:

The average gamer seems to have fallen into the trap of assuming that every character they play should be able to defeat every enemy and succeed against every challenge the game presents. How is THAT good game design?

This is the first time in over 25 years of playing games Ive seen/heard of someone suggesting that not being able to play the entire game on any given character is good game design. I seriously hope I've been trolled.

Obviously POE is far too big and intricate for every new player to come in, make a character, and be really successful. The fun of the game is learning about it, making an interesting build and eventually succeeding once you have learned enough to make it work.
Standard Forever

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info