A disturbing trend (Games are supposed to be hard)

Not even close, what I was saying is what I said, I enjoy "mindless" hacking and slashing very much. However I also know that if it gets too "mindless" then it becomes very boring very quickly. There needs to be a constant challenge involved to keep me interested in continuing to play.
Death just happens to be one of the main mechanics in this game that define difficulty and as such provides motivation to continue playing.

Funny that, dying on a regular basis is something which turns me off!
"
zinger wrote:

So I really don't get the complaints. All I see is that some areas/fights require planning, tactics, and sometimes a gear switch. I call this good game design.

Theres something in gaming called "linear difficulty". This game has an issue with it. Most people would call a mob that is significantly stronger then everything leading up to it, around it, and well after it, to be bad game design.

Gear switching is also something most gamers are sick of, and its been an issue in many games in the last few years.
"
"
zinger wrote:

So I really don't get the complaints. All I see is that some areas/fights require planning, tactics, and sometimes a gear switch. I call this good game design.

Theres something in gaming called "linear difficulty". This game has an issue with it. Most people would call a mob that is significantly stronger then everything leading up to it, around it, and well after it, to be bad game design.

Gear switching is also something most gamers are sick of, and its been an issue in many games in the last few years.

Of course there are different opinions on these things. But even granting that, it doesn't make the game *hard*, which was my main point.
not enough time for gaming!
This game is supposed to be hard - that's what the devs set out to do. The fact that there are (currently) 32 characters above level 70 in hardcore (after only a couple weeks) is a pretty good indication that it's not unfairly balanced. If it's too hard for you, then you are not the target market. I don't understand where the problem is.
Last edited by Laimbrane on Oct 25, 2012, 10:37:09 PM
"
Laimbrane wrote:
If it's too hard for you, then you are not the target market. I don't understand where the problem is.

The problem is that if the target market is too small the game will die.
✠ ✠
"
wiggin wrote:
"
Laimbrane wrote:
If it's too hard for you, then you are not the target market. I don't understand where the problem is.

The problem is that if the target market is too small the game will die.

... or it avoids the ultra-crowded market of games which don't take players seriously. Smaller market maybe, but with way less competitors. Point of view.

Anyway, i prefer a game which doesn't reward me when i die. And yes, it's frustrating. Call it SM. :)
@DarkyPupu
Yeah cool, I was just enlightening the possible problem with a game that is too hard in relation to the target market. If the demand is not high enough, the game has to become easier to attract not-so-hardcore customers (or it dies). I don't think this a point of view case, you work with an assumption that the demand is high enough. Hopefully it is, GGG will grow and continue making this game better and better without having to make compromises to open it for more casual players in the future.
✠ ✠
I dont see how making the game easier would attract more casual gamers, when you could play this game one hour every week and still get enojoyment out of it, well they might progress a tiny bit faster but thats it.

The core difficulty comes from the skill tree and the non linear difficulty where certain mobs will kill you if you are not prepared.

Same goes for the skills gems, managing your sockets/links and picking right skills for what you are doing is almost impossible if its your first time.

Making the mobs easier would just put the wall where your build is not working at some other level/place.
Making the game easier X Making the mobs easier
✠ ✠

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info