Why are all game interviewers wimpy?

"
Hulkcore wrote:
"
nzrock wrote:
What Jaucub said is quite true...
I think one of the primary examples would be GameTrailers.

Evidence or gtfo.

It's not just cash either, another tactic is to negotiate a score before even letting the reviewers... review the game... if they accept they give them early acess to the game before anyone else(being the 1st to review a game = more hits = more money) for a pre-determined score.

Your gonna have to really dig to find any evidence and most of it will be shit on / coveredup / takendown

but all you really have to do is look at the scores for games like...

Mass Effect 3 - 9.5 (IGN) (ya fucking right)
The Last of Us - 10 (IGN) (It was good but not a fucking masterpiece, the AI alone makes a perfect score impossible)

I'm not even going to bother to go on, but this picture should hit home with you ARPG fans (guess who took over blizzard north after D2? Guess which review was paid?)

Last edited by JaycubMiller on Oct 11, 2013, 12:38:16 AM
"
Hulkcore wrote:
"
JaycubMiller wrote:
Do you not know how game reviewers make money OP?

Protip: its not from legitimate ads on their site

Blizzard/Activision/EA/etc... sends them a whole bunch of free shit, and then they buy addspace on their website for 10-100x what it should cost (bribe) for a good review that ignores as much as the negative aspects as possible, while playing on the few good things about it.

which spawns scores like these... "9/10 its OK"

Evidence or gtfo.

He is absolutely right. Thats how the business works. Big gaming companies are paying gamespot. IGN etc for favourable reviews it been going on for ages. Welcome to the real world btw

Must be nice living in a dreamworld
Last edited by Burmeister99 on Oct 11, 2013, 12:36:34 AM
"
Arrowneous wrote:
86 critics rate Diablo III averaging 88 out of 100
8513 players rate Diablo III 3.8 out of 100
Its cool that you express your views, but please get your maths right.

That is 3.8 out of 10, not 3.8 our of 100.

The reason reviewers dont go in depth is obviously because most of the people that are looking at the reviews probably have never played the game before, and need a lot more general information. But I kind of disagree if you think that GGG doesnt give us detailed information about the patch before they release it.

I mean, what ELSE do you want to know... I feel like they told us everything, and the very minute/specific details are only like 2 weeks away.
"
Burmeister99 wrote:
"
Hulkcore wrote:
"
JaycubMiller wrote:

Blizzard/Activision/EA/etc... sends them a whole bunch of free shit, and then they buy addspace on their website for 10-100x what it should cost (bribe) for a good review that ignores as much as the negative aspects as possible, while playing on the few good things about it.

Evidence or gtfo.

He is absolutely right. Thats how the business works. Big gaming companies are paying gamespot. IGN etc for favourable reviews it been going on for ages. Welcome to the real world btw

Evidence or gtfo.
IGN EntropicThunder
"
JaycubMiller wrote:
"
Hulkcore wrote:
"
nzrock wrote:

Evidence or gtfo.

It's not just cash either, another tactic is to negotiate a score before even letting the reviewers... review the game... if they accept they give them early acess to the game before anyone else(being the 1st to review a game = more hits = more money) for a pre-determined score.

Your gonna have to really dig to find any evidence and most of it will be shit on / coveredup / takendown

but all you really have to do is look at the scores for games like...

Mass Effect 3 - 9.5 (IGN) (ya fucking right)
The Last of Us - 10 (IGN) (It was good but not a fucking masterpiece, the AI alone makes a perfect score impossible)

I'm not even going to bother to go on, but this picture should hit home with you ARPG fans (guess who took over blizzard north after D2? Guess which review was paid?)

Evidence or gtfo.

How hard is it to understand that I'm not going to accept your baseless accusations unless you actually show me something that remotely suggests that you know what you're talking about and not just making shit up?
IGN EntropicThunder
"
Arrowneous wrote:
real players spent 100s (1000s?) of hours playing it we came away with a completely different view of it:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii

86 critics rate Diablo III averaging 88 out of 100
8513 players rate Diablo III 3.8 out of 100

Not sure if serious or not...

Most of the reader "reviews" are one sentence blurbs like "Couldn't log in at midnight, 0/10". Some of those people probably don't even own the game.
Keyblades!
"
Burmeister99 wrote:
"
Hulkcore wrote:
"
JaycubMiller wrote:

Evidence or gtfo.

You, my friend, are the one living in a dreamworld. Let me tell you what really happens.

Video game reviewers are writers, first and foremost. Their job consists primarily of playing a shitload of beta tests. These are guys with twelve or more games on their plate at a time, which means they played whatever Blizzard sent them to review for maybe two hours, three at most. Keep in mind that they're taking notes and testing things out, so they progress much slower than you would during that time. They try to get a feel for the core features, and then, with the greatest of audacity, try to make a prediction about how good the game entire game is based off of that very limited playtime.

I participated in the Diablo 3 Closed Beta. Auction house? Never with gold, only with "beta bucks." Content? Only up until Skeleton King; past that was locked out.

As part of that group, I'm proud of the game as far as that narrow little segment goes; I claim no responsibility for anything afterwards. The result was that the part of the game which reviewers actually play — character creation through Normal Skeleton King — was polished as fuck.

And that, I think, is all ActiBlizzard cared about: the segment reviewers would actually play. Looking back on it, it was a calculated move on their part to make sure the parts of the game which would actually be reported on were good. That was their sole focus. The rest of the game didn't matter to them, or at best they thought they could push the game out and fix things later with patches.

And of course it worked. But not because they buy off reviewers. No, it's because game reviews in general are a complete sham industry that barely scratch the surface of the games they cover and in almost no way provide a reliable indicator for how good a game is, providing it can hide its faults past the first hour or so.

The one thing I'll agree with you on: believing any game review you read borders on idiotic.

TL;DR: Conspiracy theories are not real. Remember Occam's Razor: whenver you see people acting in incompetent, irresponsible ways, it's not because they've been bought, it's because they are incompetent and irresponsible.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 11, 2013, 1:42:57 AM
It's not that extreme. Most reviewers do get full retail copies and actually beat the game before submitting their review. You're right, they don't sink hundreds of hours into a single game, but they do spend far more than a few hours playing it. They all beat Diablo on normal, and few pushed on and got to nightmare or hell. They do actually play a majority of the content.
Keyblades!
"
Antilurker77 wrote:
It's not that extreme. Most reviewers do get full retail copies and actually beat the game before submitting their review. You're right, they don't sink hundreds of hours into a single game, but they do spend far more than a few hours playing it. They all beat Diablo on normal, and few pushed on and got to nightmare or hell. They do actually play a majority of the content.
Perhaps. But the core point is still there: reviewers are going to pick up on zero end-game hangups, because they're definitely never going to get that far. Inferno and anything more than a cursory look at Auction Houses were out of the question. Reviews of Path of Exile will just spew out whatever information they're given on end-game maps, never trying them themselves, and if any critic mentions poe.xyz.is I'll shit a chicken. If you're a major game developer, the end-game is zero concern when it comes to getting a high Metacritic score; it's all about first impressions. The only thing to quibble about is how relevant the midgame is.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 11, 2013, 2:23:12 AM
"
Hulkcore wrote:
"
nzrock wrote:

Evidence or gtfo.

Rather then sitting around on your bum, go and check out/frequent review sites & blogs more often.
And if you seriously don't know about GameTrailers, then your the one who doesn't know what your talking about.
There are a lot of evidences out there, granted a lot of them aren't that easy to find and require some digging.
I don't really feel like going into a in-depth debate about this today, so meh w/e.
Sweeping Maid
Last edited by nzrock on Oct 11, 2013, 5:24:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info