Why are all game interviewers wimpy?

How come the arpg game interviewers give companies high praise and not ask any of the tough questions. I've seen and read the latest interviews about the upcoming PoE 1.0 release and to say that any of these are in depth would be a joke. I mean, all the fluff over the new Scion class and such. GGG used to give us real info on what they are working on but over time and as of late we are being given less and less real information about upcoming patches. It seams to be a trait of all game reviewers. For example, last year the (supposedly) professional game reviewers gave Diablo III glowing reviews yet when the real players spent 100s (1000s?) of hours playing it we came away with a completely different view of it:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii

86 critics rate Diablo III averaging 88 out of 100
8513 players rate Diablo III 3.8 out of 100

To be honest I enjoyed D3 the first 2 playthroughs and then the grind started setting in and then the 4th play on Inferno exposed a ton of play imbalances and walls that you couldn't break down and advance until Blizzard did some serious nerfing.

So now the interviewers for PoE 1.0 are failing to ask the important questions:

When will the crafting system be overhauled and a less random luck RNG crafting system be employed?
Why is item progression not keeping pace with player leveling?
GGG, the core engine (server/client communication) is flawed and so desync can never be reduced?
Why are the solo players getting left out of the full experience?

I guess the interviewers just don't have the time to do right because they only have a few dozen hours to play a game and then post their review, then move on to the next game. I thought we we being treated better by GGG, and to a large extent I think it is true. But so far I haven't seen much real solid info that we can salivate over and the "I can't wait for PoE 1.0" excitement just isn't there.

"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Oct 9, 2013, 10:29:00 PM
I kinda agree, but in that gamespot interview, the object of that interview was to showcase the new stuff not go about the old stuff and issues.

Having said that, if I was interviewing Chris, I would off grilled him with a few questions like that.
Because they're only asking questions that the person being interviewed has approved.
I guess the GGG west coast US trip was for showing off the PoE bling, and that's great and all, but I was kind of hoping at least one of the interviewers would ask a serious question or two.
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

Last edited by Arrowneous on Oct 9, 2013, 10:27:09 PM
OMG, you mean that GGG screened all the questions in advance and only allowed the ones they approved to be asked on camera? I sure hope that you are wrong. I've have enough of that BS during the presidential debates. It just turns my stomach.

d3 made many crucial mistakes with inferno
they made inferno as hard as they could on release (kinda impossible to beat at the start and that as planed)
normaly that wouldnt have been a problem when they would have been more aware of what kind of game they were creating
if i remember correctly they said something like "the real game ends with the diablo (hell not inferno)" yet it was kinda impossible to grind to max level on hell (even that wouldnt have been a big deal)
the worst mistake they ever could make(and did) was letting the best gear (in a game that is meant for gear grinding)only drop in the last act inferno,the mode that wasn´t intended as "endgame"
Spoiler
"
"
Arrowneous wrote:
OMG, you mean that GGG screened all the questions in advance and only allowed the ones they approved to be asked on camera? I sure hope that you are wrong. I've have enough of that BS during the presidential debates. It just turns my stomach.

Do you really think this is how GGG operates?

Do you think Chris' ego is that easily bruised?

If you want to see the tougher questions, check out the reddit Q and A on MyGeekReview. Questions from the community fired at Chris.

Your usage of the Diablo 3 disparity between critical reviews and user reviews is somewhat irrelevant in my opinion. Unlike Blizzard, GGG does not have a history of screening their forum for negative feedback, or for aggressive campaigns costing millions of dollars.

I genuinely doubt GGG could afford to 'buy' paid reviews/biased opinions, given the sorts of companies known to do so.

It saddens me to think that GGG, a home-grown Kiwi indie company, is going to be accused of behaving like a greedy mega-corp just because they've made a game that seriously competes with anything created by said mega-corps.

But you'll believe what you will. The tone of your original post and what I've quoted shows that you're already half-way to tinfoilhatland with your belief that reviewers are 'wimpy' and don't ask the 'tough questions'. That they're just shills of some nature.

My question to you then is, so what? It's not as if you can't ask the tough questions yourself here, and it's not as if GGG hasn't been answering them since Closed Beta. Sure, the answers might not be ideal, but they're not ignoring the questions.

If these 'wimpy' reviewers talk the game up and don't ask the tough questions (most likely because they're not, yknow, PoE forum junkies or hardcore players themselves), and that results in more users for the game, that's a win for GGG and a win for GGG is a win for us, because more users=more funding=more development=better game.

Finally, I think expecting reviewers and journalists to be as critical as people who play this game 10+ hours a day, weeks on end is extremely unrealistic.

Damn and Charan SHUTS IT DOWN.

+1
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Oct 9, 2013, 10:46:45 PM
Because the purpose of these interviews is to generate hype for the game and not to provide people with another place to whine about everything THEY personally think is wrong with the game(most of which complaints have already been discussed to death on the forums).
Jesus almighty indeed.

* The media blitz is to advertise the game. With people who aren't playing it. You want them to not advertise, and not make money, and not continue to keep the game a living growing entity?

* The "interviewers" are not omnipotent. They are not intimately familiar with every single game made by man. They do not know how much Exp a Metal Slime in Dragon Quest 1 gives, or how many Blessed Kumquats you need to assemble a Delicious Pie in Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Short of the stats on every single new passive in the tree and the final boss fight, what else do they have to show us? Short of "New acts about once a year, and some magic find tweaks if possible" what else do they have to tell us? Do you want to hear their ten year plan? Then sit around for ten years and be bored from having nothing to dream about as they check off boxes in the content queue?
"
ciel289 wrote:
d3 made many crucial mistakes with inferno
they made inferno as hard as they could on release (kinda impossible to beat at the start and that as planed)
normally that wouldn't have been a problem when they would have been more aware of what kind of game they were creating
if i remember correctly they said something like "the real game ends with the diablo (hell not inferno)" yet it was kinda impossible to grind to max level on hell (even that wouldn/t have been a big deal)
the worst mistake they ever could make(and did) was letting the best gear (in a game that is meant for gear grinding)only drop in the last act inferno,the mode that wasn´t intended as "endgame"

If that is true that Blizzard intentionally planned Inferno level to be impossible at release then they succeeded. I guess the corporate suits planned that as a way to force you to use the AH as normal playing never yielded enough high level gear to make progress in Inferno. For ActiBlizzard that was a very short sighted financial win but long term it has hurt them as I quit in September (played it from Memorial weekend until Sept. 21st) and have never revisited it. Even by throwing out the AH and increasing loot drop quality by 50% the bad experience from last year for me still exists so I'm not paying a dime for the expansion. My new December issue of PC Gamer has Reaper of Souls showcased on the cover so here we go again.

Hey GGG, why can't you get PoE showcased on the cover of PC Gamer? Is ActiBlizzard paying for this privilege or are the reviewers being ignorant yet again?

At least GGG should take comfort in the knowledge that I and many, many other arpg players will not be offering any coin to fill their coffers. They had a decade to do D3 (even if they didn't get serious until years after their D2 success) and blew it. Even better knowledge for GGG is the fact that I have spent the $60 US entrance fee to play D3 and broke down in frustration and bought an 1129 DPS bow just to make headway in Inferno and while PoE is F-T-P, I have to date spent $100 to get a kiwi pet (closed beta supporter purchase) plus premium stash tabs and a little weapon bling. I even got one of my summer Anarchy trio player friends to buy a pet frog so GGG has gotten more from us than ActiBlizzard did or ever will.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info