Cast on Crit

To clear something up, I haven't seen the Cast on Crit skill text, but I have seen the Cast on Melee Kill and it says:

Supported Melee Attacks have a 64% Chance to Cast Supported Spells on Kill

This means both this support gem and the spell need to be linked to your melee attack for it to be used, unfortunately. Cast on Crit could be different, but it's not looking good for being able to have it separate from your attack links.
I wonder if you could bypass slow spells with cast on crit and a super high attack speed....
CliveHowlitzer wrote:

I am now too addicted to that feeling of being kicked in the nuts when you die.
"
Alros wrote:
I wonder if you could bypass slow spells with cast on crit and a super high attack speed....

But what slow spells even are there? Arctic breath?
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
"
Wooser69 wrote:
"
Alros wrote:

But what slow spells even are there? Arctic breath?

Well maybe Doedre's Tenure will finally get some more use in some niche melee proc build ;)
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
could you picture incinerate with spell cast on critical linked with fireball how OP and sweet that would look
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I think these come from requests on the forums. There was chaining things in xl I think and I have heard a number of times people asking for 'spell on hit' to let melee in on some of the power and diversity of spells. I believe some of the requests were fuelled by people feeling melee was at a disadvantage vs the casters and some just to let more cross fun happen.

the equiv for spells wouldnt be cast on crit for spells but something that allowed you to use melee attacks with your wand. Casters can already cast spells so its not really opening up as many avenues to have a spell trigger a spell, its just a balance nightmare.

Do we know if its only melee attacks or will bow attacks count? Chain split arrow with frost nova on crit could be crazy, or RoA, chain lightning arrow with arc on crit maybe with raw generic lightning damage nodes, would the arc also get the chain gem?

I feel like this is only going to be for people with ridiculous weapons. Kolp with his +400 top end dagger who doesnt need melee phys gems to clock massive dps can afford to give 2 sockets to nova on crit maybe but the rest of us I dont see it paying off in most cases.

It will be interesting to see how discharge on crit with a poc gem and blood rage would work out.

it wouldnt be even useful for even him. what good is a level 20 spell gem when you have no spell damage?

if cast on crit needs to be linked to the active skill then its mostly worthless other than to murder fps.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Nephalim wrote:

it wouldnt be even useful for even him. what good is a level 20 spell gem when you have no spell damage?

if cast on crit needs to be linked to the active skill then its mostly worthless other than to murder fps.

Bear trap and Etheral knives ;) Very good base damage + both work with a support you might have on your melee skill (added fire damage shoud work on both the melee attack and on those spells) and throw in Hatred you should get quite some extra damage.

Imagine this combo as a single target:
Glacial hammer + WED + added fire + trigger on crit + bear trap; while running Hatred, since it fits very good in the whole setup.
You chill or freeze a lot and drop traps, which further disrupt enemies. And don't forget its a crit build, with taking some good general crit nodes the spell should crit as well from time to time - actually a crit build should generally work good even with a combination of attacks and spells.

EDIT: before someone says BT is not a spell - it has the spell tag, so it should work with the trigger ;)

EDIT2: and don't forget how often staves or daggers recievee spell mods - some of them are still very good weapons, despite a "wasted" spell affix and now the before unusable (for attack builds) spell damage or spell crit mod might become somewhat usefull for some builds.
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
Current OB success:
Last edited by Sony_Black on Oct 7, 2013, 4:58:18 PM
but how would that be any better than

mainskill + wed + faster attack + life leech + multistrike + melee splash ?
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Sony_Black wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:

Bear trap and Etheral knives ;) Very good base damage + both work with a support you might have on your melee skill (added fire damage shoud work on both the melee attack and on those spells) and throw in Hatred you should get quite some extra damage.

Imagine this combo as a single target:
Glacial hammer + WED + added fire + trigger on crit + bear trap; while running Hatred, since it fits very good in the whole setup.
You chill or freeze a lot and drop traps, which further disrupt enemies. And don't forget its a crit build, with taking some good general crit nodes the spell should crit as well from time to time - actually a crit build should generally work good even with a combination of attacks and spells.

EDIT: before someone says BT is not a spell - it has the spell tag, so it should work with the trigger ;)

EDIT2: and don't forget how often staves or daggers recievee spell mods - some of them are still very good weapons, despite a "wasted" spell affix and now the before unusable (for attack builds) spell damage or spell crit mod might become somewhat usefull for some builds.

I crafted a wand a while back with 160%+ phys damage, 25-45 flat phys. I was eternal exalting it, trying for hybrid Phys roll when I hit 70% spell damage prefix (glyphic). I kept it for a couple days, trying to think up a build for it. I eventually removed that roll; kinda wish I wouldve kept it. With the implicit spell damage roll it had over 90% spell damage. Would have been an insane power siphon wand with these new trigger gems.
"The Eye of Ra appears against you,
His force is powerful against you.
She devours you, she punishes you
In this her name 'Devouring Flame."
-Anubis Hotep
"
Nephalim wrote:
but how would that be any better than

mainskill + wed + faster attack + life leech + multistrike + melee splash ?

Firstly i was talking about single target and 5L for now(since 5Ls are quite affordable and it seems far mre reasonable with that constraint IMHO, if it works with a 5L a 6th is pure bonus ;))

(AOE can also be done with a AOE ability + EK on crit with the same setup).

BT has very good damge on higher levels IMHO and both Hatred and Added fire further increases that and we are talking about a crit with BT - no crit build would go without some crit multiplier so the trap will HURT and you don't have to fear and reflect ever - the trap won't reflect damage to you, and your own hit shouldn't kill you ;)

EDIT: also great synergising with staves - they can roll a spell mod or two while still having potential for good damage (or can also go all damage for this build, both should work); they are have a good base crit chance (so crits happen often) and Serpent stance - great crit circle, which works for both spells and attacks.

EDIT2: here is a potential passive tree for the idea: link
-The starting ele nodes also work on the trap or EK ele damage, so they are double usefull
-Addtional crit chance can be build up with: Ice spear + Power charge on crit + Faster casting
-Double curses allow Critical weakness beside enfeeble
-IF a 6L would be available there are a LOT of options for it, especially multistrike could be interesting, since many hits = many crits = many traps (which can crit as well) ;)
Current OB success:
Last edited by Sony_Black on Oct 7, 2013, 5:37:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info