[3.0] How to Flicker. Two Handed Weapon Edition!

Well i've posted the tree in the previous page of the thread ( the one with your post in it ) ^^
But to make it easier ... :)

"
KorgothBG wrote:
Well in the beta i've decided to try something different and took Acrobatics + Phase Acro and i was rather happy with the results. When the Awakening is out i'll be able to do some testing with good gear ... but it is promising in my opinion. Also i was casting with mana ... probably that's something that i'll also keep.
So here's my tree in the beta:

I haven't taken any jewel slots just because i haven't found/crafted any that are worth it. If you do have such jewels tho grab a socket or two. From this point i'd probably go for more life nodes ( Juggernaut, the life+ev nodes in the ranger start etc. )

P.S. I've played a similar build in the 1m HC race league. Solo, self-found mace groundslammer and i was able to complete all 4 challenges in 24 gameplay hours but because of the flicker strike nature with this build the 2h RT+AC+Phase AC works even better and of course the clear speed is X times faster.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Jul 3, 2015, 4:27:34 AM
"
KorgothBG wrote:
You can't really stun bosses or anything that is worth stunning without investing into stun passives and support gems because of that the culling effect doesn't proc when you need it and because of that it really falls short compared to the onslaught axe ability.
Usually axes have a bit more damage ( i.e. the 2h base axe with the highest dps is the vaal axe with 133.20 DPS, while the 2h base mace with the highest dps - the imperial maul, has only 116.70 ).
Because of all that axes are a bit better compared to maces.

Those are the theoretical answers to your questions but to be honest all that doesn't really matter because it speaks only of the potential and not what you currently have/can afford.

The practical answer is - use the best weapon that you have. You have a good axe ? Go for the axe passives. You have a good mace? Go for the mace passives.

Personally i've started this build with a 2h axe but a nice ( at the time .. it was even before the master crafting ) 2h mace dropped so i've switched to maces. Then i've got the atziri disfavour axe and tho i haven't really played this build much since i've got the axe ( and i've got it for a different build .. which didn't turned out as good as i've hoped that it will ) but i do plan to play it extensively when the Awakening is out and because my best 2h melee weapon at the moment is the Atziri axe i'll play with an axe oriented tree.

The new 2H sword with crit multi looks exciting, especially if you go crit instead of RT. Poacher's mark can take care of accuracy problems if you have trouble hitting.
IGN: Frazetta
Yeah it looked nice when i first saw it, but the bae crit hance is a bit low and unless you can reach high amounts of chance/mlti it's not really worth it going crit. Tho it's worth trying but it will be a comletely different build. Too bad the flicker quality bonus was changed ... 80% crit chance sure was nice for a crit build.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Ok how about the eclipse staff?

Personally I liked how the sword looks, can't help it. Just like I can't help enjoying crit builds :)

The quality bonus change, ugh. That and the dual strike change. At least rapiers all got a base crit boost.
Last edited by Sicyo on Jul 3, 2015, 11:15:52 PM
The eclypse staff sure looks nice, and honestly if you are going to make a crit 2h build ( any build ) staves are the way to go. Good base stats and great crit staff passives.

Crit sure is powerful mechanic, tho i never prefered it :P Hard(er) to scale, requires more expensive gear, passive tree dedication hurting your survivaility, chance to hit ( blah ), nightmare for reflect ( tho that will change soon with the new reflect ). Just personal preferenses tho ... crit is great indeed :)
Last edited by KorgothBG on Jul 4, 2015, 6:51:53 PM
Chance to hit is pretty moot, especially if you use poacher's mark.

I agree though, in the past it's been risky. Give it another shot though :)
Yeah i definitely want to make a melee crit build in 2.0 because i haven't done one in more than an year so i'll have fun with it for sure! I doubt it will be flicker tho, or 2h :)
Blood rage has been nerfed and now it only gives a 25% chance to gain a frenzy charge on kill. It's not that bad and with the Blood Dance unique boots it should be fine but definitely worse and it forces us to use Blood Dance.

I'm not happy with the change of course, but we'll see what we can do with what we have and hopefully still end up with a playable Flicker build.
Could potentially make Cold Crit Flicker and use Ice Bite & Hypothermia.

Elementalist (near Templar) and Freeze (near Shadow) can help. Also Poacher's mark.

But yeah the change is a swift kick in the pants to flicker. I wonder if they were specifically going after flicker or every other build that has seemingly picked it up.

I'd rather they just nerf frenzy charges.
Last edited by Sicyo on Jul 7, 2015, 4:23:12 PM
Well Poacher's mark sure helps but stopping to curse a pack definitely is not what a flicker strike build should do in my opinion.

Ice crit flicker is definitely an option tho i'm not sure if i'll try one soon ... to be honest i'm not a big crit fan in general.

The more i think about it the more i'm convinced that flicker builds suffer greatly from the Blood Rage nerf but the said nerf was not intended for the flicker builds. I do hope that something will be done for flickerers...
Last edited by KorgothBG on Jul 7, 2015, 4:51:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info