[3.0] How to Flicker. Two Handed Weapon Edition!

Using Flicker Strike is more fun than expected. The clear speed is crazy.
IGN: Scordalia_
Last edited by Caliginosus on Feb 17, 2014, 10:05:33 PM
idea light.
staf version with cast on crit coldsnap. (staff with high phys + spell damage.)
Crown of eyes + Romira's Banquet + Berek's Grip

u wouldnt have to cap crit to do a ridiculous amount of damage and would require vaal pact probly...O.o 2h crit and staf global crit. rediculous amount of leech too. just a thought.

probly work better as scion. dunno
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
I see 2 problems - you'll need Vaal Pact and Cold snap casted by CoC still needs power charge to bypass the cooldown.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
I played a modified version of this build for the 1 week domination race. Made a long, informative post about it.

Marauder, hybrid mana/blood magic, mostly solo/self-found. FS and 1 aura with mana, everything else with BM.

I levelled as Double Strike + Spectral Throw, and transitioned relatively early, around L50. It was a smoother transition than i expected.

Some potential improvements or ideas i figured out (keep in mind i'm a short duration racer, not an endgame build pro):

- you can avoid one more 8% HP node in the Scion cluster;
- the Cleaving cluster is more efficient and stands out as missing (at least in the blood magic versions, since you're 1 node closer);
- the Templar elemental damage nodes seem bad;
- getting 10 dex + Diamond Flesh is better than the 6 all resists node (presumably all will be unspecced at some point, but nonetheless);
- Berserking should be taken while levelling;
- you can easily add Culling Strike to Frenzy in the build;
- L1 Vulnerability can be used on rares/etc. for 25% more phys damage and other gravy;
- Leap Slam helps for mobility, but also as a way to bootstrap frenzy charges. I found a major issue with a BR+Flicker build is bootstrapping frenzy charges. Leap Slamming in and then Flickering would often avoid the need to dangerously sit there and attack with Frenzy.

With this hybrid version, i was also thinking of experimenting later with dual-aura on mana and Clarity on life (Blood Magic gem).
account number 3
Last edited by unsane3 on Feb 21, 2014, 1:05:57 AM
Some notes.

- About the 8% another 8% node. You are absolutely correct.. but i don't feel like spending regrets on that. Its not like 8% is not useful ^^

- The cleaving cluster is nice of course but i don't see what can be respect in order to get those 5 nodes. Respecing 5 of the currently used damage nodes will result in less gains. Or maybe i've missed something in the calculations?

- The templar nodes are not that bad since half of your DPS is elemental ( fire from the added fire gem and cold from the hatred )

- The diamond flesh is nice if you need the resists.. it's all about the gear that you have. In my case 6% is all i need .. so basicly 1 skill point used to cap my resists > 2 skill points for overccapping them

- Berserking is a good choice while leveling. In my case i've started to use Flicker strike at level 19 ... so th bonus attack speed was not that noticable. But that's just me ^^

- Culling + frenzy is nice of course, you can also add IIR IIQ. Peronaly i don't use Frenzy in 99% of the time.. so for me it's not needed.

- And abou the leap slam .. i don't know .. i really don't have problems with getting frenzy charges

Keep in mind that all depends on your gear and your version of the build. Some things will work better for your version and worse for mine and vice versa.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
"
KorgothBG wrote:
Keep in mind that all depends on your gear and your version of the build. Some things will work better for your version and worse for mine and vice versa.

I love meticulous people like you, and that respond quickly. :D I'm like that too.

"
KorgothBG wrote:
- About the 8% another 8% node. You are absolutely correct.. but i don't feel like spending regrets on that. Its not like 8% is not useful ^^

Ah, i see. Well, for a guide, i would recommend putting optimal versions as the build links, since tons of people read them, and most will have no idea they can save an 8% node there (like me, who only fluked upon the improvement). That's just my perspective though, make the guide however you want, you are clearly good at it. :)

"
KorgothBG wrote:
- The templar nodes are not that bad since half of your DPS is elemental ( fire from the added fire gem and cold from the hatred )

True true, i didn't have Added Fire since race = 4 link. However, here's the way i see it even with that new info. Efficiency-wise they are 2x16% ele nodes. Given the build, let's say elemental nodes are worth half the value of phys nodes (since phys nodes apply to all your damage, where ele give you only ~half as you say). That means they are relatively equivalent to two 8% phys nodes. You have direct access to e.g. two 12% ax nodes at the Splitting Strikes cluster, which would be 50% better. Unless i'm missing something. Which i very well could be since i'm not a PoE math/mechanics expert.

"
KorgothBG wrote:
- The cleaving cluster is nice of course but i don't see what can be respect in order to get those 5 nodes. Respecing 5 of the currently used damage nodes will result in less gains. Or maybe i've missed something in the calculations?

If you cut the 2 templar ele nodes, you can then cut either the Reaver cluster or the Fell the Weak cluster and have one point leftover.

Note here that i typically value 2 ias as 6% phys based on the structure of such nodes in the tree. Which you probably do not, at endgame. Nor should i probably, but it's close enough and here it is for comparison:

Templar + Reaver: -16%"phys" -37%phys -10%hp = 53%phys 10%hp
Templar + Fell the Weak: -16%"phys" -40%phys -30%armor -10str = 58%phys 30%armor 5hp
+Cleaving cluster: +54%phys +2%ias +30dex = 60%phys 30dex 1skillpoint

So even with my overly favorable ias bias, it looks like it's mostly a tossup. [Edit: except i forgot my way has an extra free skill!] However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't dump the Templar ele nodes, if i'm right that they are worse than 12phys ax nodes.

"
KorgothBG wrote:
- The diamond flesh is nice if you need the resists.. it's all about the gear that you have. In my case 6% is all i need .. so basicly 1 skill point used to cap my resists > 2 skill points for overccapping them

Right i see, again because you're not linking an optimal version, but instead the literal current version on the character. I guess with a build guide i was expecting the best version possible that you had come up with, rather than what you're using. I don't want to come across as too critical - your OP is absolutely amazing - just giving you my perspective as someone who randomly happened across your build. It might just be my expectations of build guides that's wrong. You did state it's your level 83's build.

"
KorgothBG wrote:
- Berserking is a good choice while leveling. In my case i've started to use Flicker strike at level 19 ... so th bonus attack speed was not that noticable. But that's just me ^^

Yeah, tbh i think i should have kept Berserking the whole race, as i never reached an absurd attack speed like you probably have at endgame. One thing i really loved about this build is how it laughs at the Temporal Chains map mod! It doesn't get any better than that!

"
KorgothBG wrote:
- Culling + frenzy is nice of course, you can also add IIR IIQ. Peronaly i don't use Frenzy in 99% of the time.. so for me it's not needed.
"
KorgothBG wrote:
- And abou the leap slam .. i don't know .. i really don't have problems with getting frenzy charges

Hm, i guess that means you one shot ~all champions? Otherwise how else (other than Frenzy) do you bootstrap frenzy charges on a map that starts with champs?
account number 3
Last edited by unsane3 on Feb 18, 2014, 11:30:46 PM
I just pop Doedres Elixir. Get 1 charge. Then I use leap slam to get away if they dont die (they ALMOST always do, had 1 pack block like 5 flickers in a row. Like every mob in the pack). On some maps I bootstrap with leap slam/stun/end charge on stun/faster attacks. Like to have leap slam for culling/MF though.
Either way, leap slam and flicker go together like peanut butter and jelly. Best to be like water no? Who needs armor when you are between space and time? I sometimes think about going melee dmg on full life just because I almost never get hit. Will the 1 point bouncing back and forth from BR and my life regen mess that up? Probably.
"
KorgothBG wrote:
I see 2 problems - you'll need Vaal Pact and Cold snap casted by CoC still needs power charge to bypass the cooldown.

thats what Ramiro banquet is for, power charges when u dont crit. u will crit freeze everything and leech 5% more health. if the order of actions works. not sure on the order of things with cast on crit and Ramiro banquet there. if power charges are removed before they are useable by cold snap.

i agree vaal pact would be a must considering u can get over 200% phys damage very easily with a staff + crown of eyes.

fliker, multistrike, mele phys, life leech, cast on crit, cold snap.

heres a tree just threw it together.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQAAdwFLRLhGtsb-iP2Jd8n7TWSOuE8LUd-Sn1KyE3jVvpZ81oaWkhbr2BLYSFlTWegbmluqnTteA1674TZhO-HdojxmSukGaZXqW6rxaxZrKq18rc-vYG95r6KvqfEuMT2xq7V-N0N4urnY-4O7_DyRfPd-WP8xf4K_o9AoJ65704otSo4LIVsRnJsMgnvetN-IWB08Rjbh2qbLcAaFvmIOJ2KVJFmoPuLQYf56Gae-tIdFI9G0NCboffXW1mftFiukFU26eNqz2VVxg==
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
Last edited by leighferon on Feb 19, 2014, 2:18:48 AM
@unsane3

-Well i'll start with the life. To be honest i'm not sure if even cutting that 8% life is a good idea. I actualy want to add even more life ... so basicly i think its ok as it is.

-Very good points for the elemental damage nodes. After some thiking i do agree that they are not worth the 2 skill points

-I'm still no convinced. I'll respec the Elemental nodes and nput them into the two 12% physical nodes in the Splitting strike cluster and start from there.
I can get rid of one of the two nodes and the Fell of the weak cluster and put all in cleaving
so i'll end up with:
the same physical damage bonus
2% attack speed
-20% armour
-10 str
+30 dex
I really don't find that better.

-Well about the resists i've stated that i can't make an optimal tree with resists since i don't know the gear that you migh have. You might need the Diamond flesh, but you might aswell need the Diamond flesh and 2 6% nodes or even some 15% single resist node.. i just can't know that. SO bascily the tree needs to fill the resist wholes of your gear.

-About the Frenzy charges. Well i'm yet to see a map that starts with rare monster and no normal/magic monsters around it.. it's actualy impossible because they all come in packs. And on top of that a rare monster always dies in a 3 flicker combo. Same goes for the magic monsters(even with extra life) Again note that this is me , with my gear and my damage. With less things will be different i guess.

@leighferon
Ramiro banquet you say. That's actualy a neat idea. The tree looks ok but i'm worried about the low amount of power charges and the survivability. Vaal Pact + Blood rage is a nasty perma life loosing at fast rates combo and i really don't like it.
Perhaps it will be better if you go CI.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info