It's a character, not a toon.

Do not feel too bad, OP, urban dictionary clearly states that those that call their character "toon" clearly has a loose screw in their head. It cannot be helped. /sarcasm

Though, it is not as bad compared to peeps considering ripping off (or as these peeps call, scamming) to be the next form of theft. I never knew selling an overpriced or underpriced item is considered a form of stealing. You made a deal that is considered a "steal," but it is not literally stealing, you got lucky in negotiation.

I always facepalm to those that consider ripping off someone a scam. -_-
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Sep 22, 2013, 7:46:41 PM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
Though, it is not as bad compared to peeps considering ripping off (or as these peeps call, scamming) to be the next form of theft. I never knew selling an overpriced or underpriced item is considered a form stealing. You made a deal that is considered a "steal," but it is not literally stealing, you got lucky in negotiation.

I always facepalm to those that consider ripping off someone a scam. -_-
Nothing new there; motivated by butthurt, idiots have been slinging allegations at legitimate traders for centuries now.

And it's not that there are more idiots now than there were before; they're just louder.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
/sarcasm I'm SO glad that we have the word of God to dictate the "correct" terminology; it was SO confusing that English usage evolves over time! I couldn't keep all these darn definitions straight!!

Oh wait, we were using the word "toon" back in the Ultima Online (UO) days young grasshopper when ImaNewbie popularized it.

http://drachenfels.tipido.net/toon/ima102.shtml.html

Maybe one of these days you'll grow up Hulkcore from your myopic point-of-view (POV) and realize that some people come from different gaming backgrounds -- UO, Diablo, WoW, etc.

Enough QQing already what words other people use; when are you going to man up, let it go, and stop feeling insecure about trying to control other people??

/sarcasm Life must be SO hard that you get so upset over words. We pity you.

Edit: Added reference to UO Toon.
Last edited by Michaelangel007 on Jan 23, 2014, 11:28:14 PM
Yeah i came here just to agree,

when someone calls a Char a toon..... Feelsbadman
IGN: EviiLe
Last edited by ImRight on Jan 24, 2014, 1:46:14 AM
I say char as if I'm in a computer science class.
Current IGN: TheBearerOfLight
Gizoogle Chris: "Da State of Exile muthafuckas axed mah crazy ass ta post a reminder dat they podcast is dis weekend, as usual. It aint nuthin but tha nick nack patty wack, I still gots tha bigger sack."
toon sounds strange to me. I prefer character. or Char if i want to shorten.
Smoother than Smooth.
Last edited by Moist on Jan 24, 2014, 6:01:26 PM
I say whatever the fuck I please as long as no one hears me say it.
"
Hulkcore wrote:
Am I the only one that has to stifle an irrational rage whenever some refers to their character as a "toon" so that I don't just immediately punch the monitor? I don't know why, but this has become something beyond normal grammar nazism. I know it's ridiculous, but the moment I read that word, I immediately disregard the entire post and cannot bring myself to value the poster's opinion. It's not a fucking toon people, that's not a thing. /rant

You're probably one of the few who allows themselves to be offended by a matter that's so trivial, yes. :/

I've seen "toon" being used since my WoW days (I don't recall people playing EQ calling characters such , but I was fairly young and didn't care enough to pay much attention to such things back then.) I've always thought it a bit odd to use toon rather than char, but I honestly don't care.
It's a character, not a toon.

My characters are whatever I say they are !

If I say my toons are lemmings,then they are lemmings,if I say they are turd burglars then that is what they are.

Hope that clears up some frustration with definitions. =p
Last edited by Temper on Jan 25, 2014, 1:54:55 AM
"
Jethrayne wrote:
I've always thought it a bit odd to use toon rather than char, but I honestly don't care.

It is short-hand for "cartoon" -- where characters are drawn with a black outline. Older games such as Diablo 1 & 2 and Ultima Online used that effect on Monsters.

The reason the black outline is done is to put some contrast between foreground and background objects -- that is -- to separate the Signal from the Noise. This technique shows up in all kinds of places ...

* Used in older 8-bit palette sprite/tile games -- characters, items, and NPCs would have a special "outline" color reserved. When the item/character was selected you would change the outline palette entry from black to red. Or if you wanted to show them poisoned a green outline, etc.

* Colored fonts used the same black outline to help the glyphs / characters stand out -- otherwise they blend right into the background and become unreadable. A black outline guarantees the font is readable no matter what background.

* For monitors or other displays such as front front projector screens, Black Velvet Framing is a key technique to help make the image "pop". You can use this "trick" on ANY display. ;-)

* The black outline is usually done with "Toon Shading" or "Cell Shading" -- the rendering technique to approximate / simulate the cartoon look. The black outline is only 1/2 of the style needed to complete the full cartoon "look".

Heck, even WoW is doing the black toon outline now ! ...
* http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412214832

Considering Diablo 1 used the black (car)toon outline and that game was released in back 1996 (!), and we used the word back in Ultima Online (1997) days to refer to characters, if I took a wild guess the word was probably used (or coined) before the OP was even born. The original author QQ'ing over the usage of the word "toon" demonstrates (s)/he is ignorant of graphics, S/N, the context, and more importantly the etymology.

Popular words are abbreviated over time -- usually down to an acronym or 1 or 2 syllables for convenience. Television -> TV. Automobile -> Car, etc. This just another example of that.

Now you know the rest of the story.

In other news we don't care about someone else's pet peeve. ;-)

Edit.1 fixed "news" typo.
Edit.2 added note about syllables
Last edited by Michaelangel007 on Feb 28, 2014, 10:29:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info