Another gunman shooting! We need stricter gun control laws!!!

Okay, so, it seems that the idea is that guns are bad, people (outside of the military and law enforcement, and they bear scrutiny, too) who handle them on a voluntary basis have, at the least, serious character flaws, and no healthy, sane society should have free access to them, period.

I disagree, and I doubly disagree that law-abiding people should have their rights abrogated because of a vanishingly small, but spectacularly visible portion of the population which abuses those rights to harm others.

For the record, I dun find attacks with bladed weapons in lieu of firearms any more amusing than I do gun violence. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
regardless of what laws they change (or don't)... it's the culture in the USA that needs a swift kick in the rear.

Plenty of countries out there that have a similar gun per capita ratio as the USA... but far fewer shootings (single or mass). It's not the guns causing the problem, but the people who have/own them.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
Strange... I always thought it was more complicated to pull a trigger on a firearm versus cutting an onion with a knife.

mate, were not talking about training monkeys, were talking about human beings who can tie shoelaces. You cant stab someone 30 feet away, when guns are involved a higher chance of fatality is involved. If you have to get point blank to do damage, you have to be in range of taking damage, improvised melee weapons are everywhere.

Are you going to address my point, or are you going to nitpick my sentences?

"
There are arguments for keeping the current gun laws, but I dont think you made any of them.

Are you insinuating that if I am to address anyone's statements that I have to promote an argument? The aim of my post was to engage someone about what they believe, not counter them with an "argument." The reason you don't see me "making an argument" for keeping the current gun laws is because I am not.
There is grief in wisdom, there is sorrow in truth
Yet, the heart of the wise is in the house of mourning
And by sad countenance the heart is made stonger in time
So, I embrace this burden and weep for the fools that chase the wind
"
Josephoenix wrote:
regardless of what laws they change (or don't)... it's the culture in the USA that needs a swift kick in the rear.

Plenty of countries out there that have a similar gun per capita ratio as the USA... but far fewer shootings (single or mass). It's not the guns causing the problem, but the people who have/own them.

this is very true and sadly drug habits, unhealthy diets and lack of education are factors that, apart from crisis related crime, are on the rise.
any decent parent may suspend some of their child´s liberties if they act irresponsible and can possibly cause harm to themselves or others. yet a culture that is only a shadow of what it was in the 1950´s is too proud to take a critical look at their constitutional rights, as if they hold the absolute truth for what is needed in today´s society.
gun laws will never change and it will take years until the culture stops pledging it´s blind allegiance to the unburnable flag and admits that carrying more than $50.000 debt per capita is worth a change.
It seems like nobody in this thread has actually talked to a police officer in the US or knows anything about criminal justice in the US, cause some people are painting it as if these mass murderers just take the gun out of their dresser and go on a rampage, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Guns are not as simple as movies and video games make them seem. The vast majority of guns confiscated by many police departments are defective in some way, the bullets are loaded in backwards, the wrong magazine, the wrong ammunition, it's jammed, or it's a gun that isn't capable of being fired even if everything else was set right.

These shootings are not crimes of passion, they don't happen simply because millions of Americans happen to own guns, accessibility of the gun isn't even a variable the shooter would consider. These are deliberate, calculated murder sprees with the intent of an insignificant person trying to make themselves significant. And it's an anomaly, it should be treated as such.

At least 80% of crimes in the US are committed under the influence of drugs or alcohol, with alcohol taking up the majority percentage by far. Should we ban alcohol? Oh wait, already tried that.
Just proved my point Septile: It's the people and the culture that are the problem.. not the guns or the substances people abuse etc.
"
Septile wrote:
It seems like nobody in this thread has actually talked to a police officer in the US or knows anything about criminal justice in the US, cause some people are painting it as if these mass murderers just take the gun out of their dresser and go on a rampage, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Guns are not as simple as movies and video games make them seem. The vast majority of guns confiscated by many police departments are defective in some way, the bullets are loaded in backwards, the wrong magazine, the wrong ammunition, it's jammed, or it's a gun that isn't capable of being fired even if everything else was set right.

These shootings are not crimes of passion, they don't happen simply because millions of Americans happen to own guns, accessibility of the gun isn't even a variable the shooter would consider. These are deliberate, calculated murder sprees with the intent of an insignificant person trying to make themselves significant. And it's an anomaly, it should be treated as such.

At least 80% of crimes in the US are committed under the influence of drugs or alcohol, with alcohol taking up the majority percentage by far. Should we ban alcohol? Oh wait, already tried that.

Love you sir! Or ma'am if you prefer...
There is grief in wisdom, there is sorrow in truth
Yet, the heart of the wise is in the house of mourning
And by sad countenance the heart is made stonger in time
So, I embrace this burden and weep for the fools that chase the wind
Im going to put this in words that people on Forums will understand.

In real life, you can't just say "Civilian Class can not equip Semi-Automatic Weapons"

Well you can SAY that, but it wont be Coded into the game.

And if you do patch it in, well then people are just going to cheat and use Semi Automatic Weapons on their Civilian Character anyway if they want to go Player Kill and Grief others.

But now, all 'Good Players' that don't want to cheat, are unable to PvP against the PK'er with the Hacked Weapon.
So they are essentially just Critters to him.

You could try to delete the Folder containing the Semi-Automatic Weapon files. But then Gold Farmers will just find a way to import them into the Game and make a lot of money. The PKer knows this.

This wont deter the PK'er. He has decided that what he wants to do is Grief People and PK. Because he is no good at the Game, but he doesn't just want to go quietly into the night. He wants to make a lot of noise and have everyone talk about him as he Rage Quits Life.
It's similar to people Raging on the Forums about how bad PoE is.

So you see?

And you can TRY to argue against this with "oh but it WOULD do this"... but the facts are stacked against you.

Prohibition has never worked.
Mass shootings are planned and deliberate acts, not crimes of passion that could be avoided by a small speed bump on the way to a Gun Store.
Mass shootings are carried out with Illegally Obtained fire-arms already, making them double illegal wont really matter to these people.
Telling people "you cant defend yourself from criminals because guns are illegal... but yes we understand that criminals don't care and they will still use guns to harm you" will never go down well.

Peoples personal opinion of "Guns are bad, get rid of them all" are a mute point in this debate.
I agree, a WORLD without guns would be good. But that is not at all going to happen. Nothing remotely close to that will ever happen without Other Worldly Intervention.
Because as long as there are bad people, willing to do harm onto others... they will use the most efficient tools they can.

A side note, I live in Australia, I don't know the exact figure, but we have had mass shootings too, also with illegal firearms.

(Illegal Fire Arms = Guns that shouldn't actually be in the country)
You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world,
and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.
I just carry my Broadsword around everywhere. Fuck a gun.
HAIL SATAN!
Also to note, focusing on guns is stupid in this point. Its like going "WE NEED STRICTER SHOE CONTROL LAWS SINCE HE WAS WEARING SHOES WHEN HE COMMITED HIS ACT OF STUPIDITY"

To ignore the problem and try to fix some random bullshit that happened to be assosciated with an idiot means you are a politician.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Sep 18, 2013, 2:41:18 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info