Build of the Week Video #11

"
Simony wrote:
"
knoble wrote:
Perhaps I overlooked it but I was curious about this build utilizing the new unique armor Ashrend, which makes you immune to being ignited. Would it allow you to never take damage from righteous fire or no benefit at all, save the fire resistance. Just curious.

no you still take damage, this Q was raised in the unique compendium forums

Thank you for the response, and my apologies for the needless post.
However "cool" this build is, really how effective is it versus something more damaging that isn't basically suicidal. What happens when you get swarmed, or god forbid an elemental reflect mob. To say the aura swap thing doesn't effect it is kinda a moot point to me, since you were not utilizing all your sockets anyway. But i guess thus is the life of min maxers, /sighs.
Hoping here there would be some build starting from Shadow next week. :)
"
Lordborgman wrote:
What happens when you get swarmed, or god forbid an elemental reflect mob.

The build doesn't really get swarmed. If the enemies are numerous enough to swarm the character they are usually so weak they die to Righteous Fire very quickly (a hilarious sight is to wait for them to surround you, then turn on Righteous Fire for a nice boom, especially if they are fire hellions :P). Fewer hard hitting enemies are more problematic and there the use of Elemental Weakness and Freezing Pulse (with Iron Will + Life Leech) is necessary, as well as using the Dousing Flask + Whirling Blades to retreat, regen life to full an engage the enemies again.

Elemental Reflect mobs are no issue at all. Righteous Fire ignores damage reflect since its not an active skill, just a passive damage aura. The most annoying mod combination for mobs is something hard hitting combined with fire resistance and curse immunity. Those take a long time to kill.

Archers are also annoying since they all have to be caught in the aura individually since they don't actively walk to the Righteous area (and most try to run away, Whirling Blades helps here). They are also pretty dangerous since the character is much more vulnerable to physical damage (armor is lowish-medium due to unique items) than elemental. Ranged casters are no issue thanks to 88% all resists.

Actually one thing I have contemplated for the build is adding Elemental Equilibrium. It is quite near to my other nodes, just past a life cluster. Then I could use Freezing Pulse with added Lightning damage to grant -50% fire resistance to a nasty boss. It would greatly supplement Elemental Weakness curse, or perhaps allow me to replace it with Enfeeble for such fights.

-Ropetus
Author of Build of the Week #11: PalavaKostaja - Righteous Fire Marauder
Last edited by Ropetus on Sep 24, 2012, 6:54:52 AM
Can you do something against elemental weakness ?
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
"
zriL wrote:
Can you do something against elemental weakness ?

Yes. I carry around an extra fire resistance ring which overkills my resistances and offsets Elemental Weakness. I wear it in areas containing casters using the curse.

-Ropetus
How will this build work when the elemental resist penalties get implemented in all the Leagues?
"
DEDESK wrote:
How will this build work when the elemental resist penalties get implemented in all the Leagues?

If you look at the skill tree in the video you can see that I have not actually taken any fire resistance passives (except the one in the middle on the way to life regen nodes). It will only cost me about 3-5 passive skill points to repair my resistances because I have plenty of fire resist nodes right next to my build and my resistances are a little over the cap at the moment. For example, I can take the way out of the Marauder area through the Diamond Skin cluster instead of the strength node to get +45% fire resistance for only 2 passive skill points.

I don't think it will be a serious problem really. It will only cost a few +8% life nodes which is tolerable.

-Ropetus
EDIT: Argh double post
Last edited by Ropetus on Sep 24, 2012, 6:24:15 PM
Does linking Life Leech to RF give you some hp back when you burn monsters?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info