Blue Screen of Death with some sound cards

"
lagwin1980 wrote:

some numpty didn't bother reading what was linked, the problem lies with the sound cards the problem exists over multiple games and OS's
Open your eyes and read the list there in the link...go on.

Lord of the rings online
BF2
Vanguard
Windows vista 64 bit
Forgoten hope
Shores of Hazeron
D&D online

To name but a few having problems with BSOD with creative cards so yeah, totally GGG's fault there(that's sarcasm btw)

Lord of the rings online - Runs fine, no problems
BF2 - Runs fine, no problems
Vanguard - Runs fine, no problems
Windows vista 64 bit - Runs fine, no problems
Forgoten hope - Don't have
Shores of Hazeron - Don't have
D&D online - Runs fine, no problems
Path of Exile - Runs horrible, looping sound, static, BSOD

Hmmmm... As I said and you were unable to comprehend. Works fine on the dozens of other games I play, but not with PoE.
"
Biytor wrote:
Lord of the rings online - Runs fine, no problems
BF2 - Runs fine, no problems
Vanguard - Runs fine, no problems
Windows vista 64 bit - Runs fine, no problems
Forgoten hope - Don't have
Shores of Hazeron - Don't have
D&D online - Runs fine, no problems
Path of Exile - Runs horrible, looping sound, static, BSOD

Hmmmm... As I said and you were unable to comprehend. Works fine on the dozens of other games I play, but not with PoE.

For YOU.... the issue has been resolved in a lot of those games already... but the point remains that there is a long history with those Creative cards in particular having BSOD/Driver issues. Most of those BSODs have been patched/fixed... probably in the driver would be my guess. PoE is a new game, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Creative has not released a new driver to fix the BSOD in PoE.

Sure there MIGHT be something GGG could do about the crash to prevent it... maybe. And to a degree, they have; it's called Software Audio. But BSOD is almost ALWAYS a hardware or driver issue. There are VERY few cases where a BSOD was something else. You can blame GGG for exposing the weakness of the card/driver, but it isn't their problem that is was broken to begin with.

Think about it this way... lets say you broke your rib. Now I come along and poke it. Sure it hurts like hell and I caused that pain... but I didn't break the rib to begin with did I? It was already broken. I was just poking at a weakness. The card/driver is already broken. GGG might just be poking the weakness causing it to scream.

Get it?
Last edited by Drakier on Sep 9, 2013, 11:34:02 AM
I got Win XP With an X-FI. I never have got a BSOD. The game Just crashes somtimes with the ogg Runtime decoded C++ error thing. BTW WIN XP doesnt have the above problems.

The isssue is not the card the Issue was always the driver on Windows Vista and 7 that casued all of the problems that GGG is blaming on the card. Microsoft changed the way vista and 7 handle Soundcards and the whole Driver Model Changed.

The way Vista works with sound cards is differnt than XP and this card was never designed for Vista. That is why there were so many problems.

That does not explain why it doesnt work with XP that is purely a GGG Problem. As far as I am aware BF2 never had problems on XP also.
Last edited by WarlordClaw on Sep 9, 2013, 1:53:50 PM
The decoding error is something different than the BSOD obviously. The decoding could be that the xfi cards don't natively support OGG transcoding in their drivers/hardware. I'm not sure the OGG format was really popular when that card was made (even now it's only gaining popularity).

There's a reason why software audio fixes almost all of the x-fi card issues. Because it's not actually using the hardware. It's doing all the transcoding and such in software using the normal CPU, then just rending the sound to the audio pipeline... like it would for any other generic crap sound card without hardware support.

Doing this means you don't get the advanced audio processing or hardware transcoding which can make things slower as it relies on your CPU... but I think it's pretty clear that it's not really a GGG problem that your hardware doesn't do a lot of things (like transcoding) properly. I don't think it speaks well to the card's abilities to be honest.

GGG is blaming stuff on the card, because it is the card's problem. There's no simpler way to put it. The xfi card (and driver) has issues.
I think you hit the nail on the head that is it its is ogg. How many cards natively supported Og in hardware? None. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis

I am also willing to bet that the problem I have is not differnt than the others have with BSODs even if I dont crash and they dp it is becasue I use Win XP handles that error differntly than Vista becasue XP natively supports Hardware sound where Vista and Win 7 do not.

The reason why other people dont have the problems is becasue they use Onboard soundcards on thier mother board with is no differnt than a Win Modem wich uses all of your systems resources to play sounds anyways lol. Creative has never been about that in all of the years they have been making gaming cards. yea they have had some Cheap win audio cards that a lot of people got ripped off thinking they were the real hardware cards but they were not.

Back in the day when I played DOS games lol there is no such thing as Software audio. I realize times is much different now but just saying.
Last edited by WarlordClaw on Sep 9, 2013, 2:18:21 PM
Just applied the fix outlined in the OP and it seems to be working.

I was crashing going from the battlefront to the docks in act 3 every single time. I even stopped playing the game for a while since this happened last time and I don't think anyone knew how to fix it.

Edit : Now went to another area and got a crash, jeez.
Last edited by nKSharp on Sep 10, 2013, 9:25:58 PM
I give up, no point in playing this bug ridden game anymore. GGG is not going to fix the sound issue on their end and Creative is not going to fix the sound issue for GGG. So it comes down to the fact if you have a creative card in your system, your fucked.
"
Biytor wrote:
I give up, no point in playing this bug ridden game anymore. GGG is not going to fix the sound issue on their end and Creative is not going to fix the sound issue for GGG. So it comes down to the fact if you have a creative card in your system, your fucked.

I don't believe there hasn't be a case yet where using software audio didn't fix the sound crashing problems. As I said in my previous post, it's almost certainly a hardware issue with creative cards not being able to transcode the ogg audio. It was confirmed by another poster. It's not a GGG issue TO fix. Creative needs to get a driver that can transcode ogg audio... problem solved.

As for GGG "fixing" the issue.. they have given you the -swa flag which uses software audio instead of hardware. I know it's not ideal for those who have hardware audio as it uses more CPU power to process the audio rather than letting the hardware do it, but in your case, the hardware CAN'T do it which is the whole problem to begin with.

So use -swa and play the game. There's no point in threats or trying to paint GGG as the bad guy here. You have an alternative solution that has worked for everyone I've seen with this exact issue personally. That isn't to say you couldn't have a different issue causing problems as well, but if it's a BSOD with a Creative card, just use -swa and play!
I too am having the issues with my xi-fi card.
I've done quite a bit of research into driver based blue screens after my latest pc build was completely unstable. If anyone has any doubt about the lack of testing put into the creative drivers, all you have to do is turn on windows driver verification. Your PC will blue screen with sound card issues constantly. Windows driver verification basically does a brute force hack on all the drivers specified and will crash any driver that is not fully hardened against every possible scenario. The creative driver is one of the worst I've seen, but even still, the other game devs either work with creative to figure it out prior to release, or integrate a workaround. Putting your head in the sand and saying it's a sound card issue is not a solution your customers will want to hear. Please work this out or at least turn off the HW sound for all creative cards by default. I'd rather have to check a box next to a disclaimer warning about possible bsod's if I want to enable HW sound.

And for the record, I've also had this same issue with UT2004 and its hardware sound even with their fix... SW sound was the only option that worked there too.

If only the onboard sound interfaced with my stereo systems, I woulndn't have to deal with creative's crap...

/Done Ranting... Thanks for reading..
"
Rory wrote:
EDIT: Creative has released new Beta drivers for their sound card - You should see if these are able to fix the problem for you!

If you're getting BSODs, it's likely because of your sound card having problems with Path of Exile. We've recently included a change that should prevent this crash by using software sound. Here is how you activate it:

Right click your Path of Exile Shortcut. It'll come up with this window:

Add --softwareaudio after the target, as shown in the image above.

Now when you start the game, you'll be using software audio which won't have this error any more.

We're still going to get all sound cards to work with the game correctly, but this will let you play until then.

Falkentyne has also come up with a solution that will work for some sound cards:

"
Falkentyne wrote:
If you have a creative labs X-fi (not an xtremeaudio), any PCI or PCI-E version,

Click on start menu->Run->Regedit
go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/Currentcontrolset/Control/Creative Tech

Go to Driver folder.
Then look for the PCI&VEN_1102&DEV_XXXX folder that should be there. Then click on the folder.

Add a new STRING and name it DisableXRAM, and set it to a string value of 1.
If you have more than one PCI&VEN in there, do it for the other folder.

Then restart the computer and test for any BSOD's while running the game or alt tabbing with the game running.

His original post here, which also has other solutions you can try.

I tried this just now, and I'm still getting the same crash every time I attempt to move into Marketplace Normal on HC. I've crashed four times in a row now. Obviously frustrating. Especially being an Exalted Supporter.

If anyone has any advice, please help.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info