Holy Flame Totem

"
bpipe wrote:
Don't bother with Flame Totem, it simply suck. I have a level 87 templar, I have all elemental damage and totem passives, I linked it to every possible gem that has effect on it and it does 2k DPS. And more it dies really fast even with 20Q gem. And more you can't recover health with life leech like melee chars do.

So what you end up is a 2K DPS, no life leech, and the suckest lvl 90 character you can have, even lvl 65 spectral throw scion would do 10k DPS and have better survivability due to life leech.

So don't do my mistake, don't even think on creating flame totem character, its waste of time. Maximum what you will get is a char that can do 66 maps, when it reaches lvl 90. Trust me it's not easy for me to write that I have possibly the suckest lvl 87 character in the world -)

This game is mostly broken, there are only 5-10 builds that can do lvl 78 maps, most of them are melee.

your clearly reading the dps on the tooltip which isnt what you should be looking at.

that 2k dps is for 1 stream of fire so if u have lmp there are 3 streams they all can hit which would mean 6k dps not the 2k your stating, while if u have 2k with GMP thats 5 so thats 10k dps it can hit.

im running dual flame and clearing just as fast as any of my characters ive had and im in invasion and have yet to even come close to dieing because they all target the totems.
after recent patch my dps went over 4100 (tooltip) with;
flame totem-faster projectiles-greater multiple projectiles-added chaos damage-faster casting
faster casting not need flame totem. Better try add lighting dmg
IGN: Aqur
"
faster casting not need flame totem. Better try add lighting dmg

think again; watch cast per second on those pictures

with faster casting:

faster casting removed:

i hope you see difference in cast per second which is same as attack per second on melee chars;
more attacks per sec - more dps
more cast per sec - more dps
"
Splico wrote:

with faster casting:

faster casting removed:

now try add lighting dmg 20/20 instead faster casting and show dps
IGN: Aqur
I spent 100+ hours on flame totem getting the 6link armor and my dps was at 2,175dps max which is really bad since a searing bond build can do easily 10,000dps.

The statement that the 3 projectials from the lmp is 2k dps x3 has to be false because that's what I orginally thought/read but please read the posts on "high lvl characters" the dps is REALLY BAD!!! With Greater multiple projectials... the damage in testing was less.

Flame totem+added lighting damage+added cold damage+Faster projectials+Lesser multiple projectials+%20 quality faster casting

This was dual weilding x2 80+ Spell damage wands

Both my wands and ring/gloves/amulet was heavy critical strikes/multipliers

My theroy craft goal was to instantly freeze/shock/ignite everything while the "knockback" from the projectial weakness curse would pin them far back ...but the ignite/shock/freeze duration is based on the critical damage delt...which is too low. Based on math...I was doing around 20 critical strikes a second...and they still wouldn't freeze :/ Only the normal mobs would freeze/ignite/shock.

Only way I could make it somewhat viable was with a triple curse:
Elemental weakness+Projectial weakness+increased criticals

Told my girlfriend that this game turned into a epic fail :/ especially after I corrupted my six link armor... and will be spending the summer with you more...she was excited!!!!

DONT DO FLAME TOTEM...SEARING BOND IS ----MUCH CHEAPER-----MUCH BETTER DPS-------
Last edited by Shadowman280x on Apr 13, 2014, 9:12:31 PM
Does Life Gained on Hit work with Flame Totem? I know the life will (should) be gained by the totem not me, but this will greatly increase the longevity of the totem.
Currently the LGoH is not shown in the totem skill icon (or description) and I don't see it work.
LGoH explicitly mentions it only applies to Attacks.
The Flame Totem doesn't use an Attack, but a Spell.
"
Shadowman280x wrote:
The statement that the 3 projectials from the lmp is 2k dps x3 has to be false because that's what I orginally thought/read but please read the posts on "high lvl characters" the dps is REALLY BAD!!! With Greater multiple projectials... the damage in testing was less.

Not sure if this is trolling or not?

GMP linked to flame totems does 5x the tooltip damage if you are shotgunning at point blank range (all 5 projectiles are hitting the target). It has always worked like this with skills linked to GMP (fireball, incinerate, etc.)

It is also very easy to test. Go to any boss and remove GMP/LMP. It will take significantly longer to kill campared to shotgunning with GMP.

Personally, I don't use faster projectiles because I am always casting totems at point blank range where it will do max damage; I use Fire pen instead. I also use GMP instead of LMP because it does more damage at point blank.
Last edited by __SirPuFFaLoT__ on Apr 24, 2014, 10:04:20 AM
Also, don't forget to add The Three Dragons mask which will enable fire damage to cause shocking instead of burning. Of course you need Static Blows and Chance to Shock passives.

My Tri-Flametotem Build is doing great. Only have problems with a few bosses in maps because I'm a glas cannon ;)

Currently using: Firetotem - GMP - Fire Penetration - Added Chaos Damage - Blind - Faster Cast in a +1 Lvl Soul Mantle

Last edited by hyper_ch on Apr 25, 2014, 4:52:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info