Holy Flame Totem

To survive, the totem needs the unique fire belt that gives it %1 fire life leech.

The totem does have the "potential" to have one of the highest dps in game but taking the armor to get the third totem will kill you on curses and infernal mantel isnt nothing huge with the extra 2% critical chance. The best armor is a good crafted one.

To help with shocking and ultimate defence i love puting in temporal chains and enhance in a +1 to gems equipment. Slow down everything up to 56%! My next build will triple curse with included elemental weakness and critical weakness. With a level 4 enhance these curses are godly at %44 quality.
Last edited by SearingHELL280x on Jun 11, 2014, 11:15:24 PM
"
"
Saltygames wrote:
Totem survivability is a joke (i mean they more often then not go instantly down), as well as the huge mana cost. These two doesn't go hand in hand. It doesn't help that the totem nodes are so spread out.

My solution for making totems more viable in end game: up the base life, resistances and phys reduction - keeping the high mana cost.

damage is fine though.

What?

The most powerful MF build in the game uses Flame Totem lol.

This skill is ridiculously good as is. If your totems aren't surviving something is wrong with your build.

I'm not really sure how you think the totem survivability is okay. I have a tanky build and I stand in front of the totem placing myself between the mobs and the totem. I also have projectile speed to increase the range of the totem. Totem survivability is a huge problem. The only reason I have this is to provide elemental equilibrium on a fast cycle synergizing with a very fast casting freezing pulse so I also freeze mobs constantly to help with the survivability of the totem. That and even with guarding the totem with my character, I can't get the totem to live as long as a second on bosses. Now, if totem and minion survivability would help, I would use it, but it doesn't. The problem is that minions have more resists and benefit from purity whereas the totem gets nothing, and as far as I know has no resists even at level 21.

From what I see, survivability is a huge issue for me even in low level maps. I don't even care about the 120 mana cost, even recasting it constantly. It just can't stay up long enough to buff dps.

I wouldn't make totem survivability great, but if the character is mostly a self caster and blocks attacks and spells on the totem, it has to be able to survive for longer than a second against bosses in maps. 3 seconds of totem life should be considered reasonable and not too much to ask if I am blocking attacking and spells with my body and casting enduring cry to keep aggro off of the totem. I can't get the totem to last a second so I don't know where you are coming from.
Last edited by Zindax on Jun 22, 2014, 8:21:43 PM
"
Zindax wrote:
"
"
Saltygames wrote:
Totem survivability is a joke (i mean they more often then not go instantly down), as well as the huge mana cost. These two doesn't go hand in hand. It doesn't help that the totem nodes are so spread out.

My solution for making totems more viable in end game: up the base life, resistances and phys reduction - keeping the high mana cost.

damage is fine though.

What?

The most powerful MF build in the game uses Flame Totem lol.

This skill is ridiculously good as is. If your totems aren't surviving something is wrong with your build.

I'm not really sure how you think the totem survivability is okay. I have a tanky build and I stand in front of the totem placing myself between the mobs and the totem. I also have projectile speed to increase the range of the totem. Totem survivability is a huge problem. The only reason I have this is to provide elemental equilibrium on a fast cycle synergizing with a very fast casting freezing pulse so I also freeze mobs constantly to help with the survivability of the totem. That and even with guarding the totem with my character, I can't get the totem to live as long as a second on bosses. Now, if totem and minion survivability would help, I would use it, but it doesn't. The problem is that minions have more resists and benefit from purity whereas the totem gets nothing, and as far as I know has no resists even at level 21.

From what I see, survivability is a huge issue for me even in low level maps. I don't even care about the 120 mana cost, even recasting it constantly. It just can't stay up long enough to buff dps.

I wouldn't make totem survivability great, but if the character is mostly a self caster and blocks attacks and spells on the totem, it has to be able to survive for longer than a second against bosses in maps. 3 seconds of totem life should be considered reasonable and not too much to ask if I am blocking attacking and spells with my body and casting enduring cry to keep aggro off of the totem. I can't get the totem to last a second so I don't know where you are coming from.
If totem survival is a huge issue it's something you're doing wrong.

Totems are hardly paper in teh first place and benefit well from many supporting effects.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
Are the increased totem summoning speed nodes mistakenly raising flame totem tooltip dps or are those nodes actually increasing the true damage output? I ask because this guide (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/876291) claims that the latter is true, which I am skeptical of, given the tooltip dps bug with spell totems.
"
If totem survival is a huge issue it's something you're doing wrong.

Totems are hardly paper in teh first place and benefit well from many supporting effects.

Dunno dude. Maybe we should chat or twitch stream and then you can provide me your intelligent insight. I could show you the instances where I clearly tank for my totem to protect it from attackers standing in front of it to catch as many projectiles and charging mobs as possible, but its really bosses. Totem survivability is still a huge issue for me, but maybe I am getting better at the skill of tanking for my totem. My areas of issue are elemental damage, especially chaining or AoE damage, and physical splash damage as well.

I go into boss rooms, give the totem projectile speed to increase its range so I can place it quite a bit behind me in order to protect it while still getting its effect and keeping it alive for anything more than a brief moment is a real challenge. Maybe you can show me what I am doing wrong.
Last edited by Zindax on Jul 14, 2014, 11:48:34 PM
Question:

I am running flame totem with GMP. Do passive nodes for increased area of affect and increased area damage help at all with the flame totem?
Nope. Flame Totem doesn't deal AoE damage. Always look at the keywords of skills.

Get spell, fire, totem or projectile increases to improve it's damage.
As you can see, Ground Slam (just an example) got that AoE tag, so this is a skill that benefits from such increases.
Sorry Exile, but your loot is in another dungeon!
IGN: Delirii
If you're looking to increase its coverage, get some Projectile Speed modifiers. The Faster Projectiles Support gem is a no-brainer.

The Projectiles have a lifespan measured in seconds, so with a higher Projectile Speed, they travel a longer distance before disappearing.
Thanks Guys

I took those nodes right off the bat when i did not know what i was doing - templar - its my first character and now that i have him leveled up i am really trying to optimize my passive tree. so that was why i asked. i can now get rid of those and use the passives elsewhere - thanks very much

Regards
Hi!

Just a question: FT uses a projectile attack. Does that mean that the "Iron grip" keystone will increase its damage, or does that buff only apply to projectiles I fire myself? I took a lot of str nodes to get around the tree...

See ya,
Treffnixe
May your maps be bountiful, exile

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info