Our view on map drop rates

"
Chucullinn wrote:

That is another issue, the range of maps dropped in higher level maps. I really think low level maps should not have a chance to drop in higher level maps, that a range should be implemented that maps that drop can not be more than 2-3 levels below the current map and more than 2 levels of the current map. This will still be offset by the fact that there is still the high enough chance that no maps will drop at all.

I can't say how terrible it is to do lvl 69 maps, THE end game maps, and have nothing to show from them loot/orb/map drop wise. I am probably one of the few people on the server that has done a good few of them, and I believe the best drop I had in the 6-7 lvl 69 maps I have done was a level 67 map, and for half of these lvl 69 maps the only maps that dropped were level 60-61. That is just ridiculous and should not be possible when you must consider the amount of resources and time that is spent to get to that level of map to begin with.

+1 to this post in it's entirety

as Slurms and I discussed various times in chat, a floor so to speak, such as:

minimum map level = current map level - 3

would be a nice consideration
First, Chris:

I am glad to hear that this issue is being taken noted of. I can honestly say that I smiled a little bit when you said that maps weren't being chiseled enough. :P Don't even want to think about how many of those I've bought.

Cuch, is 100% on with the comment about how disenchanting it can be when seeing such low level maps drop in higher levels. I can honestly say though that between 65-68, many of the maps that dropped, or enough anyway, were somewhere in the range of "high level". Meaning, I could consistently keep getting them.

It even reached one point where I had vendored a couple 64s in order to get some more 65s. That's how many I had. This, as I've stated before, was all with 80% IIQ. That's quite honestly how important good mods are on maps. Further, since the +area/maze mods are multiplicative in the sense that the more area in a map, the more that IIQ is drawn out. Even with the current patch, if a map is 2x as big, but only has 60% IIQ, in theory, in should pose a more likely chance of getting maps than a 98% map.

This is, as I've stated, impossible to overcome. Unless the mods are done away with, and are automatic. This would allow "force" people to roll as hard of mods as their character can handle to increase map drops/currency items.

I like being challenged. Even when I was rolling pre-patch, I still hoped for a no-regen + maze + magic/rare, since this would increase my map's IIQ. I wanted it to be as high of a base as possible. From what I can tell, this is what you have in mind. However, since Maze/Area > Map IIQ (some circumstances may not apply), what am I to do? The odds of getting more maps are simply always with the larger area.

Anyways, I gotta get back to the HC race. But I am thankful for the improvement in chisel drop rates. Although I would appreciate a "level" of -3 in maps. It is my understanding that this is probably against your game design ideas. That's fine :) Just try to remember that it really is not fun for players, especially high level ones to not gain xp. Risk vs. Reward, if we can do 25+ lvl 60s and not gain that 15% (death penalty), in all honesty, the risk vs reward is not high enough. Especially with the desync currently, and rubberbanding that will be sure to happen down the road.

Thanks for posting

Slurms
This.

"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Just try to remember that it really is not fun for players, especially high level ones to not gain xp

While I probably have more levels in total than most players (76,75,72,71,70 and some more between 50 and 60), I only found one lvl 65 map and just a couple lvl 64.

I simply refuse to run 60/61 maps with lvl 76, so I started leveling more and more chars (which is way more fun than running those low maps).

I still don't have problems finding the lower level maps, but anything above 63 (still mid lvl at best) is not dropping for me, so I'm glad overall map/chisel drops will be increased.
IGN: Nazhand (Standard), Gaurithoth (Anarchy)
Last edited by Helheim on Sep 12, 2012, 8:23:49 PM
Grinding up map levels is just not compelling gameplay.

It would be better if any map could drop any level of map. Then having to run level 60/61/62 maps wouldn't be so demoralizing.

Chrome plugin for inventory/crafting: http://njs50.github.com/poe_ext/
I don't want to sound like a wuss, but right now the risk and rewards of running maps is completely imbalanced.

At lv75, the exp loss from dying to get 1% exp just makes running maps not worth it right now. I honestly think that the endgame is a bit broken at the moment.
Starting from scratch in open beta.
"
dsifu wrote:
I don't want to sound like a wuss, but right now the risk and rewards of running maps is completely imbalanced.

At lv75, the exp loss from dying to get 1% exp just makes running maps not worth it right now. I honestly think that the endgame is a bit broken at the moment.

Would you rather the content was easier? I'm very glad that people are scared of dying in maps, because our #1 concern is having the endgame too easy so that people are not challenged.

There's more parallel endgame coming in the form of PvP, Act three, more events, better trading, guild content, more maps, etc, etc.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
I personally do not fear death in most maps so it's not a matter of risk/reward but rather a matter of time/reward (2% exp for a 60 map at level 75).
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
Difficulty's fine, if the rewards gained match. Right now, maps for high level players only seem to reward commensurately with items, not XP. The map climb is cool, but it's probably a bit too punishing right now.

At least keeping yourself in maps is no longer much of a problem.
Ancient and unwise, SSF only since 2012
"
Chris wrote:
"
dsifu wrote:

Would you rather the content was easier? I'm very glad that people are scared of dying in maps, because our #1 concern is having the endgame too easy so that people are not challenged.

There's more parallel endgame coming in the form of PvP, Act three, more events, better trading, guild content, more maps, etc, etc.

I do like difficulty, but it feels like MFing has been seriously discouraged this patch.
Starting from scratch in open beta.
"
dsifu wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
"
dsifu wrote:

I do like difficulty, but it feels like MFing has been seriously discouraged this patch.

How so? IIR/IIQ are as functional on non-map drops as ever.
IGN: KoTao

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info