Our view on map drop rates

In a nutshell, this is pretty much what I'm doing now. Many friends have switched to farm mode or different builds. I've already built my melee character, just waiting for the patch.

I un 66-69 with 70/106, save up chaos and scourings roll my 71+, mainly 72+, and run them when I feel their ready.
"
dmouze wrote:
Alright.
It's very possible to maintain a pool of maps under the current system.
Here's how I and many others do it:
First off, never start mapping with less then 5+ 66 maps, preferrably more, but 5+ is what I usually aim for.
There's no reason whatsoever to rush to maps, as your xp/hr is usually quicker somewhere you can clear quick rather then maps.
Also try to make sure you can do a majority of the mapmods with little or no trouble to save yourself from having to reroll a good map just cause you can't handle it.

66 Maps. Magic.
Indoors
Crypt
Dungeon
Grotto
Overgrown Ruin
^Always roll maze on these, maze with 15%+ quantity or maze+ Packsize/magic

Outdoors
Dried Lake
Dunes
Tropical Island
^Either 30%+ IIQ from two mods, or a Packsize/Magic roll with above 15% quantity. The area mods on these isn't really that desirable, more often then not it leads to more space, but no real increase in mobs.

67 maps. Magic.
Indoors:
Sewer Map
Thicket Map

Outdoors:
Arcade
Arsenal
Cemetery
Mountain Ledge
Wharf
^Either 30%+ IIQ from two mods, or a Packsize/Magic roll with above 15% quantity.
Area mod is viable on cemetary, less so on wharf but still decent, The area mod on mountain ledge is a coinflip, as it depends alot on the type of mountain ledge you spawn.

68 maps. Magic.
Indoors:
Spider Lair
Vaal Pyramid
Maze is very important on both these maps, especially the vaal pyramid.

Outdoors:
Ghetto Map
Mud Geyser
Reef Map
Springs
^Either 30%+ IIQ from two mods, or a Packsize/Magic roll with above 15% quantity.
The area mod is semi decent on springs and ghetto.

69 maps. Magic.
Indoors:
Catacomb Map
Overgrown Shrine
Tunnel Map
Maze is important on every 69 map.

Outdoors:
Promenade Map
Shore Map
Spider Forest
Area is quite nice on shore, and a coinflip like the ledge on spider forest, typ of map spawned matters alot.

It basicly keeps going like this for the 70+ maps too, but you make them rare, and at a point of your choosing you start using chisels. Get atleast one of (packsize/magic/rare) and as high iiq as possible for outdoors, always maze the indoors maps and try getting very high iiq.

Don't try to cheap out on rolling maps. <- This is pretty much the no.1 thing that makes you run out.

Spend whatever you have and more rolling the beneficial mods and you won't run out of maps.

Some of the smaller maps need extra help, try getting additional iiq on those or atleast the packsize/magic mod with high iiq.

This post still isn't specific enough, but as most of these posts from me, sl4y3r and others tend to get ignored I really don't feel motivated going into more detail on specific maps.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't agree with the current system since it doesn't reward you for doing hard maps. I've vocalized my opinions on the matter alot on the boards. Sooner or later hopefully something gets done about it.

But until then the above is what has worked consistently for me and many others.

Wish I had of read this weeks ago. Figured out a lot of it through expensive trial and error and running out of maps

Useful posts don't get ignored by a lot of us we just don't always reply to them.

And yeah I think everyone agrees the system is flawed but at least in the meantime we can make the best of a bad situation.
IGN- Shaeyaena
I've been transmuting 66 maps to have at least +30Q and have been getting 1-2 maps per map. some lvl 67.
Berek's Grip Ice Spear
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/780707
Budget Magicfind and/or Hardcore Flame Totem
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1211543
"
Bloodygrey wrote:
there seems to be a fundamental flaw with the game when the players are compeltely dependent on RNG if they are allowed to actually PLAY the end game..

It's not a flaw! You don;t know what you're talking about! stop QQing! farming all day for very slim chance at a map is fun!
"
It's not a flaw! You don;t know what you're talking about! stop QQing! farming all day for very slim chance at a map is fun!

As much as this sounds like trolling, I want to point out that end game being RNG dependent is fine in this genre. It's not fine in MMORPG's and other games like them, but in an ARPG, that's how the game works. It's RNG dependent. Everything is.

There are better ways for the RNG to be implemented/handled (add Maelstrom of Chaos for a grinding area when we run out of maps... for example), but overall, saying you don't want end game to be dependent on RNG is saying you want to play WoW. So go play WoW.

I try not to say "go play another game" often, but really, that's the true, non-troll, completely serious, answer for people who don't want RNG in this game in the way it is now.
Last edited by TremorAcePV on Apr 25, 2013, 2:03:46 AM
Someone asked about the possibility of adding Chisels to a vendor for a mostly unused currency. What about upgrading a mid/upper currency that has nearly no worth in the market to effect maps.

If maps had a 0-10% implicit modifier, which were effected by Blessed Orbs, and was in conjunction with the other % stats and chisels 0-20% mod, Blessed Orbs might actually be worth something/get used.
I believe the hesitancy that GGG has about increasing map drop rate (for higher level maps at least) is that the system works with a critical mass effect. A slight increase in map drop frequency will result in an explosion of maps while a slight decrease a serious dearth of maps.
Map progression is well modeled by markov chains and changing the transition probabilities from state to state (map to map) even slightly will massively impact the number of maps that players will have and the difficulty of achieving top levels. It's a tough balancing act.

However, I feel like there needs to be a better system to get back into higher level maps. Having to revisit 66-68 maps constantly as a high level char is depressing at best. Perhaps the upcoming patch will help with this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info