[1.1.1] Evantis's Permastun Build and Stun Compedium

Yes, it's a fantastic build. I too use Ground Slam for AoE sustain+charges and Heavy Strike for tough rares or bosses. DPS for GS isn't too high, but it's not really a problem as with enough stun threshold reduction and duration you can just sit in a door and lock up an entire room, letting your party cull them safely if necessary.

Herald of Ash adds an extra punch and increase the range of ground slam even further. You can also wear down mobs with ground slam and then use Heavy Strike for lots of overkill.

Attack
  • Heavy Strike + Melee Damage on Full Life + Added Fire + Weapon Elemental Damage + (Melee Physical, Faster Attacks, Blind)
  • Ground Slam + ECoMS + Multistrike + LGoH

If you're in this thread you probably already know how to use both those skills. I also got a nice amulet - not exactly build defining but it does help quite a bit with damage output.

There's pretty much no downside as I have exactly 0 ES. Other than getting hit with far shots or standing in desecrated/burning ground full life is achievable most of the time, allowing you to stack Melee Phys and Melee Phys on full. Although GS is used for ~75% of mobs, I chose not to swap it into BoR because the added mana was not sustainable on 3% leech.

Mitigation
  • CwDT + Immortal Call + Warlord's Mark + Immortal Call + Increased Duration
  • CwDT + Devouring Totem + Molten Shell

After getting max charges Enduring Cry was taken out - I am almost always at full with 75% block from BoR and spamming ground slam, and the newer Warlord's Mark helps with stun thresholds with even more charges not to mention leech (RIP Vulnerability). The Devouring Totem/Molten Shell combo is pretty fun but not essential: Devouring Totem allows you to indefinitely spam Ground Slam (it will leech from over a screen away and Molten Shell adds a bit of extra armor. I had a nice Vaal Molten Shell ready, but 1.2 broke that :/

Gear

BoR was ~20c, Daresso's salute was ~10c, Remorse and Belt were both 3c, mace was 20c; some quality gems were bought. Room for improvement would be phys on rings and movement/life on boots. Not shown is a nice 4r body armour, but I'm just using it to hold swap gems at the moment. I currently have a Rumi's flask for spell block, but most of the dangerous spells and projectiles can be interrupted by ground slam stuns.

Passives
Skill Tree
Only sitting at 3k health, so that's the first priority. As I am pretty far from the Scion wheel, I plan to grab the life/regen near Templar and then finish with Duelist starting node. Note that Skills of the Ancestors is taken (instead of the 10str+30dex) so I can wear BoR and use Hatred.

Auras

Hatred + Herald of Ash, not much to say there.
Thanks for this Stunlock thread, I’ve read it and some other source here and on reddit.
Yet I have questions and would appreciate some help and advice, updated for 1.2 patch.

About my char
I going Duelist Stunlock/Permastun. I didn’t start Marauder mainly because of RP, Fatal Romeo is an handsome guy.
I’m only level 46 and since the beginning I always delay the passive nodes allocation as much as I can. When the character no longer works, I adjust with passives, on nodes that make sense for stunlock. On average I have 6-12 nodes to allocate.
I’m mostly self-found, I only bought a cheap unique Mace (1 fus worth), it was enough for the build to start working as a stunlocker.

My understanding of the build

There are several ways to succeed in stunlock (PoE is a deep game, well balanced), with those trade-offs:

1) One handed vs Two handed
One handed is faster and have a shield. Shield means block, thus block passive nodes and gear stats, plus Tempest Shield as mitigation. Two handed means more damage per hit, better stun when needed in mid game. Some build use a 2h->1h transition in late game, this means specific 2h nodes have to be avoided or regretted.

2) Faster attacks gem vs Attack speed passive nodes
A good support gem gives +50% speed and can save 10 nodes worth less speed: think about it. One socket less, but much more nodes to allocate elsewhere.

3) Reduced threshold nodes vs More physical damage nodes
More dmg increase dps, ReST do not. However there might be a slight diminishing return effect on dmg investment and nice multiplicative effect on ReST (or less DR). Can anyone confirm?

4) Balance between stun duration and attack speed
Fine tuning saves nodes, gives room for gear adjustment, frees socket.

5) Unwavering Stance or not
(keystone: not to be stun but no attack evasion)
Yes: also add Iron Reflexes (node cost for me: 4) ?
No: save nodes and use Cast when stun support instead of CwDT (better leveling), take advantage of Blind (and consider BoR unique with implicit blind). Unique amulet for no stun as alternative.

6) Immortal Call for mitigation or not
(gem triggered)
Is it worth to lose Endurance charges benefit, especially elemental resistances?

7) Bandit reward: +18% Phys dmg vs +8% attack speed?
I’ve read that it would be better to get +18% dmg than +8% speed, but I’m not sure if it applies to all node tree strategies. I delay my choice for as long as possible. There are a lot more damage nodes along my way than attack speed nodes.

All those choices above have no definitive answer, the good option depend on the build flavour.

Other choices
Curse: Vulnerability or Warlord Mark
Heavy Strike vs Ground Slam, with support to adjust HS for crowd or support to adjust GS for single target. HS has a knockback effect which heavily desync, GS hasn’t. (Don’t forget Leap Slam, also great for crowd control by stun and projectile dodge by triangle move, but it drains mana)

Patch 1.2 considerations
- Vulnerability no longer have stun bonus.
- New tree, some good and bad, but stunlock build isn’t broken, just adapt.
- If no Unwavering Stance: Blind works but not as much as before patch.
- ??? what else

Other misc ideas
Alternate skill for unwavering mobs : Glacial Hammer + Elemental Proliferation + Melee Splash + Melee Phys Dmg

Use Blood Rage, for frenzy charges, or even some Frenzy attacks

Multistike on GS, or even LS since I linked ECoS with it.

Molten Shell on gem trigger

Decoy Totem or Spell Totem with incinerate or skeleton. (I use shockwave with flee).

HS+MSplash+ConcEffect.

HS+DmgFullLife is tricky but achievable with a good start.

Aura: Grace if Iron Reflexes. Purity, or Haste if resistances ok. Hatred. Vitality for half regen maps.

Eye of Chayula Onyx Amulet
Instead of Unwavering Stance keystone, to keep evasion. get some intelligence and save node.
+(10 to 16) to all Attributes
20% reduced maximum Life
30% increased Rarity of Items found
Cannot be Stunned

Questions and rationale
I need more intelligence! Shall I grab far passives +30 or some gear with that stat, or craft current gear?

With my Duelist starting point I have two attack speed nodes (+6%, +4%) to grab right here, spec or unspec for easy adjustment / tuning. A good point.

In early game I used gear with flat life regen, for a decent amount, it helped a lot. Now with 1000HP I feel I can switch to % regen instead (charges+node, regen nodes) and re-gear.
Shall I search for better melee range? HS has knockback I could take advantage of, on melee mobs, combined with high melee range.

Nodes temptations:

I went to Leather and Steel for no Armor speed penalty, quality of life improvement. I’m tempted by move speed nodes with attack speed nodes. But it’s quite far and not worth it. Intelligence node +30 on that way, but still not worth I guess.

Sentinel notable.

Purity of Flesh cluster for chaos resistance and life. Quite a long way.

Some buffs enhancement nodes (Athlecism)

Some marauder notable: +15% all res, and Warrior's Blood.

The big Mace cluster next to Resolute technique is a must-have, but which branch shall I get first?

Golem cluster. Other life regen nodes.

Some nice 2h dmg clusters. But I’m afraid I’ll have to regret them if I go for 1h mace later.

The +18% inc charges duration right here (for quality of life and survivability: melt a pack, get charges, use single target skill for boss finish with no new charges), 12 seconds instead of 10s.

Current tree (8 nodes available)

Help welcome.

Just ask if I should make an other thread, or change format.
I'm just posting this response link here, for any others interested in a noob-friendly Duelist start for this style of build.

Suggested 2-handed & 1-handed trees.
Last edited by ProudLikeAGod on Sep 17, 2014, 6:12:52 PM
Thanks for the great compendium.

By the way did somebody gave some love to shield charge?
You ARE my Bitch of burden!
"Stay Alive exile! Or you'll be the next zombie someone raises off the beach." - Altnaharra
" Be Excellent To Each Other" -MikeP_GGG
"If you die to yourself are you still the victor? " - BEX_GGG
This build still viable? i wanna try this build
Thanks for this guide lol it still works albeit i think i might be doing somethin wrong since im only dealing 12k heavy strike dps with 2.2 aps.had to get 5 link to help in getting stun gem

edit:just to share my setup i use reckoning riposte vengeance linked to life leech helps alot when you cant stun everything in a room or being rained by projectiles and such
Last edited by ACRpanda on Feb 7, 2015, 8:18:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info