[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

Okay, I figured it out. Install PlayOnMac, then go to this link: http://www.playonmac.com/en/app-1366-Path_of_Exile.html, and click the "Install this program" button.

I dare say this is almost perfect. There is slight font distortion still, and it stutters when you cast spells, but once everything is loaded into memory there is no graphical lag at all, and I haven't had a freeze or crash yet.
i have to say that if there had not been this post, i wouldnt even have thought about trying it,
so thanks to julus!

it is a very nice tool! runs a lot of software which doesnt otherwise and it is quite easy to use too. it saves me the diskspace for a windows-installation via bootcamp.

the only game that doesnt work for me til yet is SWTOR, so if someone knows how to do it,
pls tell me.

there is a "play on linux" - version too.
"
runningjojo wrote:
i have to say that if there had not been this post, i wouldnt even have thought about trying it,
so thanks to julus!

it is a very nice tool! runs a lot of software which doesnt otherwise and it is quite easy to use too. it saves me the diskspace for a windows-installation via bootcamp.

the only game that doesnt work for me til yet is SWTOR, so if someone knows how to do it,
pls tell me.

I am the maker of swtor port too (what a coincidence) :)

The problem of SWTOR is, it needs custom patch to be applied, because EA/HeroEngine did everything wrong. They use windows internal uptime timer for network sync (WTF?), and since 1.3 they modified something in game, that is causing all mac X engines (wineskinX11, Xquartz, quartz-wm) crash when starting.

Even when you will be able to overcome mentioned bugs, and you get game running, you will find another bug. Insane loading times (15 minutes, just because of archive>extract to file.out>memory, archive>extract to same-file.out>memory loading doing it about 20000 times during load.) which leads to disconnect, and when it loads, big location have about 3-5 fps.

aprocom did a video of port when it was functional http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWe_OMtMGI

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to take a look onto playonmac version. And what they did differently. I am not fond of tools, you need to have installed, I am trying to make single stand-alone wrapper, which is easy to install (in single download).
Last edited by julus on Dec 22, 2012, 10:22:13 AM
"
PoptartOnRye wrote:
Okay, I figured it out. Install PlayOnMac, then go to this link: http://www.playonmac.com/en/app-1366-Path_of_Exile.html, and click the "Install this program" button.

I dare say this is almost perfect. There is slight font distortion still, and it stutters when you cast spells, but once everything is loaded into memory there is no graphical lag at all, and I haven't had a freeze or crash yet.

The only difference is, they run on wine 1.4 (i am running on WineCX11.2 which is based on wine1.4 with few optimizations and patches).

Can somebody do side-by-side comparison of mine v3.1 and the playonmac version?
Just want to add my experience here. I have a MacMini with 8GB Ram, and have wine 1.5.20 installed through macports. After playing POE for 15-20 minutes it crashes with an out of memory error. Through activity monitor it seems like wine keeps eating memory until there is no more, and then crashes. I'm going to try the 3.1 wrapper.
"
prex555 wrote:
Just want to add my experience here. I have a MacMini with 8GB Ram, and have wine 1.5.20 installed through macports. After playing POE for 15-20 minutes it crashes with an out of memory error. Through activity monitor it seems like wine keeps eating memory until there is no more, and then crashes. I'm going to try the 3.1 wrapper.

Yep, there is massive memory leak somewhere, I want to find where, but that takes massive amount of time to figure it out correctly. 3.1 wrapper is fine, but sometimes there are missing some graphics effects

I already tried 1.5.20 as they promised better font handling, but there was no improvement there. If they will fix it eventually, I will make custom wrapper based on 1.4 with modification(s) that fixes the font issue. That way we should have pretty decent port.

Also, Does anybody know a 100% way how to quickly reproduce those missing graphics? That way I may be able identify the change that fixed it, and modify the 1.4 version with it. also I can fix the GPU detection this way, but I doubt that will fix the issue.

"
julus wrote:
"
julus wrote:
Also, Does anybody know a 100% way how to quickly reproduce those missing graphics? That way I may be able identify the change that fixed it, and modify the 1.4 version with it. also I can fix the GPU detection this way, but I doubt that will fix the issue.

I don't know about the missing effects but if you go into the wrapper (3.1 for me) and you click on screen setting > bottom right section the last option needs to be de-selected so wine doesnt auto check your gpu or something, only thing i needed to do to get card detected (ATI)
I think performance make no difference compared to D3D HALL (or whatever) Only thing i noticed different is brighter colors especially for the boxes around items or gems (transparant red/blue?) much more dynamic...
Exiled for Eternity
Last edited by smartybarty on Dec 22, 2012, 5:50:16 PM
Auras were not showing the correct graphic(hatred, anger, wrath) and curses didn't show up properly. Also the monkeys in act 2 in the dark forest were always invisible. The level up graphic wasn't right either.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

"
julus wrote:
"
PoptartOnRye wrote:

The only difference is, they run on wine 1.4 (i am running on WineCX11.2 which is based on wine1.4 with few optimizations and patches).

Can somebody do side-by-side comparison of mine v3.1 and the playonmac version?

In PlayOnMac, I have less lag, and similar load times. In the v3.1 wrapper, I can't enter Dark Forest and some other areas. With PlayOnMac I can enter all the areas, perhaps getting a random disconnect during loading 1 in 10 times entering Dark Forest, but I think "-gc 1" solved that. I'm not getting any spell effect errors or invisible monkeys in v3.1, so I'm probably not the best comparison for those issues. I'm using a 11,2 13" i5 Macbook Pro with an upgraded 8gb RAM and OSX 10.8.2, fyi.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info