[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

"
PoptartOnRye wrote:
"
julus wrote:

The only difference is, they run on wine 1.4 (i am running on WineCX11.2 which is based on wine1.4 with few optimizations and patches).

Can somebody do side-by-side comparison of mine v3.1 and the playonmac version?

In PlayOnMac, I have less lag, and similar load times. In the v3.1 wrapper, I can't enter Dark Forest and some other areas. With PlayOnMac I can enter all the areas, perhaps getting a random disconnect during loading 1 in 10 times entering Dark Forest, but I think "-gc 1" solved that. I'm not getting any spell effect errors or invisible monkeys in v3.1, so I'm probably not the best comparison for those issues. I'm using a 11,2 13" i5 Macbook Pro with an upgraded 8gb RAM and OSX 10.8.2, fyi.

I tested out the PlayOnMac and I found my loading times to be much faster, the gameplay was smoother then with the 3.1 wrapper (though I changed the engine used there to fix the graphical glitches.)
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
So what is the overall verdict on the PlayonMac client? Is it good enough to be recommended as a replacement for some folks for their Mac gaming pleasure? I am still going to keep the Wine port up on the FAQ but will probably add the PlayonMac client as well if it is working for more then a person or two.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

Thank you Julus for the work you put into this!

Initially I was getting pretty bad performance on my mid-2009 Macbook (down to 4fps in some areas), but then I turned off shadows and suddenly it's up to 30fps and the only problems are due to server lag. Hopefully the final version of PoE will have shadows that are less taxing to render.
"
Dark0mens wrote:
So what is the overall verdict on the PlayonMac client? Is it good enough to be recommended as a replacement for some folks for their Mac gaming pleasure? I am still going to keep the Wine port up on the FAQ but will probably add the PlayonMac client as well if it is working for more then a person or two.

Verdict isn't concluded for me, still comparing the two. However overall performance is better for me on playonmac port ATM
Will be using julus's wrapper aswel sinds i'm sure he will make it better over time.
Can't pressure enough: julus is still port king to me! (make me use your wrapper again ^_^)

P.S.
biggest difference by far between the two is load time on playonmac are crazy fast + no performance drop over time
(with julus wrapper after half an hour or so it seems to be unplayable (until i do a system reboot)

Also, I find it very helpful to use "FreeMemory Pro" because whenever it gets laggy i use it to free up ram (wich can be a bitch on OSX)
Even if the program clears a few 100 MB's it still makes a lot of difference (to me)
Exiled for Eternity
Last edited by smartybarty on Dec 23, 2012, 8:04:14 AM
"
smartybarty wrote:
"
Dark0mens wrote:

Verdict isn't concluded for me, still comparing the two. However overall performance is better for me on playonmac port ATM
Will be using julus's wrapper aswel sinds i'm sure he will make it better over time.
Can't pressure enough: julus is still port king to me! (make me use your wrapper again ^_^)

P.S.
biggest difference by far between the two is load time on playonmac are crazy fast + no performance drop over time
(with julus wrapper after half an hour or so it seems to be unplayable (until i do a system reboot)

Also, I find it very helpful to use "FreeMemory Pro" because whenever it gets laggy i use it to free up ram (wich can be a bitch on OSX)
Even if the program clears a few 100 MB's it still makes a lot of difference (to me)

Ok, As the Wine version is the only difference there, I will modify the 3.1 wrapper to match the POM port.

Also, there is high possibility, the wine from POM was compiled with different parameters. Need to look on that too.
Second time I tried to launch the PlayOnMac client I got the tiny window error, now I know how to easily fix that, but I thought I should bring this up. Anyone else get this from PlayOnMac?
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
Some notices from my testing and investigation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finaly had time to compare POM version against mine.
On my configuration: macbook pro early 2011 - Core i7 2,2Ghz, 16GB Ram, 1GB AMD Radeon 6750M, OSX 10.8.2

There is no noticable difference. Loading times are the same. Effects, are the same (Mainly I am not missing any effects in any version). Stuttering - well I died on POM version because of them (yes, even they are the same).

Only difference was, that my card was detected as Radeon 3200 :)

So, there is no improvement in POM version for me, and possibly for all AMD users.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Difference between POM wine and WS wine.
POM wine was build on Linux.

Crashes in 3.5 wrapper
Well, I hate to say this, but this does not look like problem with wine, but with the game. During playing there is massive memory leak which will eventually consume all allocatable space (wine is 32-bit so 3GB ram). Possibly on Windows the GGG is using some method of garbage collection which is not implemented/function properly in wine. (if that was solely wine problem, no games would work on newest wine, which is untrue). Also, the the reason why this does not occur on 3.1 is potentially missing some code in wine or it is handled differently. But even there I may be wrong. For that I would need some GGG dev to swear, there is no memory leak on Windows whatsoever (without garbage collection). :)

"
julus wrote:
Some notices from my testing and investigation.

Finaly had time to compare POM version against mine.
On my configuration: macbook pro early 2011 - Core i7 2,2Ghz, 16GB Ram, 1GB AMD Radeon 6750M, OSX 10.8.2

There is no noticable difference. Loading times are the same. Effects, are the same (Mainly I am not missing any effects in any version). Stuttering - well I died on POM version because of them (yes, even they are the same).

Only difference was, that my card was detected as Radeon 3200 :)

So, there is no improvement in POM version for me, and possibly for all AMD users.

Difference between POM wine and WS wine.
POM wine was build on Linux.

Crashes in 3.5 wrapper
Well, I hate to say this, but this does not look like problem with wine, but with the game. During playing there is massive memory leak which will eventually consume all allocatable space (wine is 32-bit so 3GB ram). Possibly on Windows the GGG is using some method of garbage collection which is not implemented/function properly in wine. (if that was solely wine problem, no games would work on newest wine, which is untrue). Also, the the reason why this does not occur on 3.1 is potentially missing some code in wine or it is handled differently. But even there I may be wrong. For that I would need some GGG dev to swear, there is no memory leak on Windows whatsoever (without garbage collection). :)

I didn't put down my specs but:

iMac
27-inch, end of 2009
Processor 3,06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB < on the low side for gaming, i know but D3 runs perfect on this rig....
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

If you leave out the stable performance wich i think is better for me with the POM version i can't believe loading times are the same for you
I have to wait about 15 seconds minimum with 3.1 wrapper and 2-3 seconds max with POM...
Exiled for Eternity
Last edited by smartybarty on Dec 23, 2012, 6:16:02 PM
if you get the TINY WINDOW with the pom version,
then just press CMD+ALT+ENTER once or twice or three times, depends.
btw a cool way to switch between windowed and fullscreen mode.
you can adjust the size of the screen manually by just dragging the screen edges.

happy holidays!
"
smartybarty wrote:

I didn't put down my specs but:

iMac
27-inch, end of 2009
Processor 3,06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB < on the low side for gaming, i know but D3 runs perfect on this rig....
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

If you leave out the stable performance wich i think is better for me with the POM version i can't believe loading times are the same for you
I have to wait about 15 seconds minimum with 3.1 wrapper and 2-3 seconds max with POM...

I stay for what i said. Loading times are pretty much the same. Only difference is when you are using medium or high textures. Medium textures will result in less stuttering and faster loading times, but the loading times itself are pretty much the same (except launching).

POM - High Quality Textures
launching 79s
Lyonel watch 16s
the prison (waypoint) 12s
the rocky climb 28s
Lyonel watch (portal) 7s
the rocky climb (portal) 1s
Lyonel watch (portal) 3s
the rocky climb (portal) 1s
the prison 11s

3.1 - High Quality Textures
launching 103s