[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

"
PoptartOnRye wrote:
"
julus wrote:
"
PoptartOnRye wrote:
I installed Linux today and set up WINE to run PoE. The 1.4 engine has sub par performance, but 1.5.19 works pretty well. I still get the same lag spikes when I encounter unique mobs or cast new spells. This is currently the only solution that is allowing me to traverse Dark Forest and some other areas of the game. Overall julus' wrapper has better performance on my machine, but I'm still hoping to work out some improvements.

Just thought I'd share incase anyone else was thinking of giving this a try.

Excellent, a Linux user. I have few questions for you.

1) Are the fonts distorted on linux too?
2) Loading times - does them feel to same or the osx are longer?

The fonts are identical, loading times are faster than OSX.

edit: I take that back, the fonts are slightly better, they still have the same sort of distortion.

How's the performance otherwise on Linux?
"
krifFinn wrote:

Graphics appear the same, there is less lag from spells, and almost none from unique mobs. However, I haven't encountered a boss. The only spell that gives me trouble is summon skeletons. So far it seems to crash every 15 minutes, much the same as julus' mac wrapper does. The Linux crashes are more catastrophic, sometimes causing a complete system freeze and requiring a hard reboot. I'm not using any of the custom patches that have been put together and are posted in the official wine thread, I may try that next if I find the time to figure out how to compile it.

edit: I forgot to mention that the loading time on Linux has proven to be much, much faster.
Last edited by PoptartOnRye on Dec 17, 2012, 11:41:03 PM
"
PoptartOnRye wrote:
"
krifFinn wrote:

Graphics appear the same, there is less lag from spells, and almost none from unique mobs. However, I haven't encountered a boss. The only spell that gives me trouble is summon skeletons. So far it seems to crash every 15 minutes, much the same as julus' mac wrapper does. The Linux crashes are more catastrophic, sometimes causing a complete system freeze and requiring a hard reboot. I'm not using any of the custom patches that have been put together and are posted in the official wine thread, I may try that next if I find the time to figure out how to compile it.

edit: I forgot to mention that the loading time on Linux has proven to be much, much faster.

Well, then there's a challenge for me for the holiday season: Install a Linux distribution with Boot Camp and get Path of Exile running properly ;)
"
krifFinn wrote:
"
PoptartOnRye wrote:
"
krifFinn wrote:

Well, then there's a challenge for me for the holiday season: Install a Linux distribution with Boot Camp and get Path of Exile running properly ;)

Good luck, Mac is known as the worst HW for Linux, because of used custom components and chips, without proper linux drivers :)
the link says quartz is 70 mb....but the installer is telling me it will take 196 mb of space...alarming inconsistency here.
"
Lachis wrote:
the link says quartz is 70 mb....but the installer is telling me it will take 196 mb of space...alarming inconsistency here.

That's the download size, not the install one. (why the hell would I post installed size? No one cares, unless it is a few gigs :)
"
julus wrote:
Good luck, Mac is known as the worst HW for Linux, because of used custom components and chips, without proper linux drivers :)

Not that I was all serious with my post, but I actually did some research on the subject thereafter.

I don't know, maybe you have a point about the hardware issues. Added to that there may be some other hazards with using OS X and Linux on the same boot drive.

Interested as I am about learning new things, I installed Ubuntu with VirtualBox. Just to try out a new OS (for me), mess around a bit. I know I can't even dream about doing anything heavy stuff on that, but I hope I can catch a few things.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you currently doing with this wrapper, are you testing new stuff or something else?

Btw, congrats on your Gold supporter status!
"
krifFinn wrote:
"
julus wrote:

Not that I was all serious with my post, but I actually did some research on the subject thereafter.

I don't know, maybe you have a point about the hardware issues. Added to that there may be some other hazards with using OS X and Linux on the same boot drive.

Interested as I am about learning new things, I installed Ubuntu with VirtualBox. Just to try out a new OS (for me), mess around a bit. I know I can't even dream about doing anything heavy stuff on that, but I hope I can catch a few things.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you currently doing with this wrapper, are you testing new stuff or something else?

Btw, congrats on your Gold supporter status!

Linux: FIrst you have to install rEFIt, the bootcamp is not enough, secondly, if I remember correctly Linux had problem with power consumption, and switching integrated/dedicated graphics and with Wifi.
BTW: Personally I don't like ubuntu. It became something robust and hard to manage. (and I was using gentoo for 7 years, so, almost every distribution is hard to manage for me :)

Wrapper status: Currently I am on the pre-christmas holiday with limited net, so I am more enjoying the holiday, than working on wrapper. I'll continue to work on wrapper when I am back at work (24.12)

I can't get it to work for some reason. Whenever I try to install PathOfExileInstaller.msi through my wrapper i get this :

OOPS!

No new executables found!

Maybe the installer failed...?

If you tried to install somewhere other than C: drive (drive_c in the wrapper) then you will get this message too. All software must be installed in C: drive.

And then I'm back to install software. I can't figure where i went wrong. Any ideas?

Edit: After restarting all over for the third time, it appears to be working. Can't tell you what i did different, i have no idea. If anyone get this problem, well, just re-install lol!
Last edited by Adameus on Dec 19, 2012, 7:28:02 PM
Thanks for posting!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info