[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

"
atgm613 wrote:

"
Bjarmfark wrote:

When you run the game, does it max out your cpu usage?

No clue. The wrapper doesn't like it much when I switch back to desktop.

Hmm, I thought that it could be that the wrapper is doing some sort of real-time translation which would make the cpu run like crazy. But scrolling through this thread alot of ppl state that PoE runs smoothly on their (older) macbooks clearly invalidates that statement. And therefore not PoE either thats causing problems.

It may be a program on you computer or some other function that actively work against the wrapper? Or some driver that should manage your computer parts but does not do that in an efficient way?
If I had to guess, I'd say it's something to do with Mavericks. It's a fresh install and I don't have anything running in the background.

Edit: The other thing about older posts is that we don't know what version of OS X/PoE/the wrapper they're running.
Last edited by atgm613 on Jan 3, 2014, 9:49:52 AM
"
Bjarmfark wrote:
"
atgm613 wrote:

"
Bjarmfark wrote:

When you run the game, does it max out your cpu usage?

No clue. The wrapper doesn't like it much when I switch back to desktop.

Hmm, I thought that it could be that the wrapper is doing some sort of real-time translation which would make the cpu run like crazy. But scrolling through this thread alot of ppl state that PoE runs smoothly on their (older) macbooks clearly invalidates that statement. And therefore not PoE either thats causing problems.

It may be a program on you computer or some other function that actively work against the wrapper? Or some driver that should manage your computer parts but does not do that in an efficient way?

It used to run well, but GGG prefer new content before optimization. At beginning, this wrapper run extremely well for most people, good fps on high settings, no lags, faster loading, no crashes (well except of those which happened on windows too), but as the time went, the GGG made the game worse and worse on performance side. Most of the issues people are posting here I encountered on Windows as well, even the lag using skills.

And mine Macbook pro 2011 is broken, I can use it to update the wrapper, but I can't test it (as I must work with safe SVGA driver I get 1fps ingame).
"
julus wrote:
Most of the issues people are posting here I encountered on Windows as well, even the lag using skills.

The Windows version does have desync issues, but even on my old laptop without a dedicated graphics card, I never encountered the problem of dropping to 1 fps every other second or freezing for seconds at a time [edit: Without some kind of external stimulus, like rain or a ton of skills going off]. While some of the issues are certainly game-side, I don't think they all are.

Edit:

I have tried the 4.1.1b and 4.0.3 wrappers at various resolutions with and without app nap turned off at the lowest and highest graphics settings with and without vsync. No performance changes at all, anywhere.

4.0.3 does not seem to have the weird hotkey problem (where you have to press cmd + hotkey) that 4.1.1b does. That's all I found out. :-/

Julus, are you using WineBottler? If so, what version are you using?
Last edited by atgm613 on Jan 3, 2014, 10:47:45 PM
"
atgm613 wrote:
"
julus wrote:
Most of the issues people are posting here I encountered on Windows as well, even the lag using skills.

The Windows version does have desync issues, but even on my old laptop without a dedicated graphics card, I never encountered the problem of dropping to 1 fps every other second or freezing for seconds at a time [edit: Without some kind of external stimulus, like rain or a ton of skills going off]. While some of the issues are certainly game-side, I don't think they all are.

Edit:

I have tried the 4.1.1b and 4.0.3 wrappers at various resolutions with and without app nap turned off at the lowest and highest graphics settings with and without vsync. No performance changes at all, anywhere.

4.0.3 does not seem to have the weird hotkey problem (where you have to press cmd + hotkey) that 4.1.1b does. That's all I found out. :-/

Julus, are you using WineBottler? If so, what version are you using?

I am using wineskin, not winebottler. 4.1.1b uses Crossover wine version (that's why it have different behaviour), and 4.0.3 I am not sure, wine 1.6.0 or 1.7.3 I think, you can check it by right clicking wrapper -> show contents -> run wineskin -> advanced, and on bottom there is the wineskin and wine version listed. Also, if you have wineskin winery installed (http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/), you can download other wine versions via it as well, and switch it in the wrapper (from advanced menu, select the tools tab, and change engine used. (note: version older then 1.7.4 have sound bug, I was compiling my own versions of wine to get it rid off).

Note: if you find any improvements by using different wine version, let me know. I can then update the wrapper for others.

EDIT: The lag occurs on windows as well, but you must have a slow notebook (or netbook) to appear. It's there but not visible to faster machines. (and wine is far from perfect, so it will often reveals issues that are not often visible)
Last edited by julus on Jan 3, 2014, 11:19:54 PM
Ok maybe good news. I found out that portingteam finally was able to make winecx13.0.1 work with wineskin, I will post new version of wrapper later today (if there will be no problem because of my broken GPU on Mac).

That version should hopefully bring more stability, and it will NOT be compatible with AMD Radeon cards running on Snow Leopard/Lion.

BTW: for increasing FPS, try disabling chat windows entirely, there are reports it boost fps significantly
My stats reported before were with chat windows disabled.

I opened the package and used Wineskin to change the registry, setting

HKEY_CURRENT_USER¥Software¥Wine¥Direct3D¥UserGLSL

to "disabled" to turn off GLSL, which was reported to help with frame drops in the WineHQ thread (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25078).

It seems to have helped. I can now play the game at a relatively constant 15 FPS. No sudden/random drops in FPS. It's playable.
Ok, here is the new version of testing, please someone test it and let me know if there is any improvement at all.
Path Of exile 4.1.2 - mediafire (154MB)
It runs at a constant 3-4 fps for me, no changes up or down.
I've been using this port on my 2013 MBPR for a couple of months now, and besides the long loading time and occasional FPS drops, it runs really smooth. I'm using Mavericks.

Thanks a lot for this!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info