Officially Supported Linux Client

There is a problem though. The devs have, much like other dev studios, decided to let themselves be locked down by microsoft and use their inferior DirectX over OpenGL. So it would basically mean reprogramming the graphics engine. Something I'm not sure they have the resources to do.
Hopefully the emergence of SteamOS, which is Linux, will change all that and make developers realise that using OpenGL allows them to easily port their games/applications to Linux as well as OSX and reach a broader market.

Having a Linux version would be a great idea. I'm sure that there are people that would join Path of Exile if avaiable for Linux!
"
Neito wrote:
39. tried to play on ubuntu. didn't work well enough as on win. And with shitty comp every detail counts.

The thing you have to consider, though, is that you're wrapping a Native Windows game to run in linux. So, right off the bat you're utilizing some of your computer's resources running additional libraries required for windows software to work in a non-windows environment. If you didn't have to wrap it up in that wrapper environment, it'd likely run smoothly even on your 'shitty comp'.

I've had quite a bit of experience running running native windows software in Wine on linux and, trust me, once there's a linux port of the same software, it usually runs better than it does on Windows. (There are few exceptions to this, DOTA 2 on my laptop for example)

If PoE goes native Linux, likely I'll never see Windows again.

So, I'd up-vote this idea.
425 - Linux Mint 15 and Xubuntu

Path of Exile already runs surprisingly well on Wine (especially considering there's been very little dedicated patching from the Wine end) as long as your hardware is decent and not around the minimum spec. Even a simple Wine library wrapped version would work great as a stop-gap measure.

Especially with Valve pushing the Linux side of things quite hard now, POE would likely be one of the only diablo-ish RPGs on the platform.

On top of that, something like POE would be a great candidate for the new Steam Controller. Judging from what I've seen of the Civ5 mouse emulation demo it could potentially be a decent control method for the couch.

I'm using ubuntu and would love to see a native linux client.
When righteousness falters
And chaos threatens to prevail
I take on a physical body
And manifest myself on earth.

I'd like to see a native Linux client too, but I think it would be more cost effective if the devs aimed for Wine compatibility. Come to think of it, this would benefit the Mac users too. They'd be hitting 2 birds with one stone!

It's running ok under wine right now, but I would prefer a native solution.

Currently running with wine.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info