Officially Supported Linux Client

i'd sure love a linux port, however, i think i have seen a thread reply by devs stating that it was a huge amount of work to make a linux port. First of all, the game engine should have been Opengl instead of DirectX to make a linux port possible.

Post written on Archlinux :)

Quite excited to see the recent Linux gaming developments... Makes me a little more hopeful for the future of Linux gaming.

use windows only in a vm and only when i have to

posting this with linuxmint

and have PoE mostly running with wine
I was able to play during the last open weekend / stress test using Wine.

(Actually, 21, though that guy before me forgot to count)

Using ArchLinux and Xubuntu. I only use Windows for Games, which is also a very effective way of keeping me from playing too much because I'm too lazy to reboot.

Although I doubt the implementation of a native Linux client, here's to at least trying.
Last edited by Liobia on Sep 5, 2012, 1:40:08 AM
linux pwns
As I was going up the stair, I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away.
Xubuntu here. Some Linux support would be super cool.

The only thing keeping me from supporting this game with $250+ is the lack of native Linux support. Running with Wine is ok, but not optimal.

That will not keep me from playing this game though, since I love Diablo 2 (and hate Diablo 3), using my pirated version of Windows 7.

Playing good and polished games on Linux is a dream coming true with some titles (Bastion and Torchlight 1, from the last Humble Bundles, are great examples), but I understand that it won't happen in one minute. I support who supports Linux, that's all.
"
DarkMantle wrote:
Bastion and Torchlight 1, from the last Humble Bundles

I don't want to make any hopes up, but the developers were asked if Torchlight 2 might get Linux support.

"
Since the original Torchlight has now been released on Linux via the new Humble Indie Bundle, is there a chance we'll see Torchlight 2 on Linux at some point?

"
We honestly don't know yet.

-Travis Baldree

"
I noticed that Torchlight 1 is now released on Linux. (Thanks HumbleBundle!) When will Torchlight 2 release for Linux?

"
That's on the agenda as something to discuss, but we're a small team that doesn't know much about Linux and don't want to grow or take on busy work. That said, we know there is a demand and we do like to please.

-Erich Schaefer

"
What is the main technical reason Torchlight 2 won't run on GNU/Linux at launch time? (beside the obvious low market share)

"
Not a technical reason - we just aren't Linux developers. We don't have the dev setup, and it's just not our forte. Our engineering team is very small. The same reason our Mac release is not simultaneous.

-Travis Baldree

So nothing is ruled out.

I support this idea but I doubt a full port will be made. Such a task is a huge undertaking, and as we all know there is only a small team of developer.

I can, however, see the team optimizing the game to be perfectly usable with WINE libraries. Maybe if there are some Linux developers in the community they could help GGG do exactly that.
same name in-game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info