So I tried d2 for the first time.....

"
CookieVortex wrote:
I don't get why some games are called RPG, or ARPG. RPG is a role playing game. Planescape was an RPG, Baldur's gate ok, Icewind dale not that much. But diablo? Click and kill? Story line, ok there was some story line, but really who cares, go kill some monsters. Same for PoE. I would rather call those games Hack and Slash type. I heard for the 1st time that Diablo or PoE are ARPG few months ago. I'm waiting for the moment when people will call FPS shooter an ARPG, and RTS like Wc3 an SRPG.

Diablo 2 was great, I spent really much time doing mephisto runs years ago. But now I would probably get bored after few hours.

????

There is ALOT more customization in Path of Exile then Planescape Torment. You can really build your character the way you truly want. In PST you are almost obliged to go mage if you want to experience the "pseudo-intellectual" story. Classes, stats, skills, diversity, treasure, slaying monsters are keywords in a RPG. But POE and IWD are no rpg? You got to be kidding right !?
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
So just to chime in on this topic because i find it very interesting from a personal standpoint.

I used to play Diablo 2 for a long time back in the day and it was by far one of the greatest games on PC along with old school ultima online that i personally have ever played during its time to be simply AMAZING.

Now a days, these new games such as League of Legends, Path of Exile's , World of Warcrafts .. have taken gaming to a whole new level where it previously was just not even capable of going (as far as graphics and systems that can be developed for games now).

So to get to the point, i compare these games to those of console gaming.

Golden Eye could possibly be one of the greatest first person shooters of all time... simply because it invented what first person shooting is and will forever be today. Call of duty 4 then took everything it learned from Golden Eye and created one of the all time greatest online shooting games that ever surfaced during its time. Yet if you tell someone TODAY , who has never played golden eye to pick up the game and try it because YOU personally knew just how badass that game was when you were like 10 years old.. they would play it for 5 minutes and look at you like your simply an idiot.

Diablo 2 during its time , and even still today for some people who truly knew it for what it was .. will forever be the platform of which every ARPG will look at and understand as being one of the greatest to ever do it. That will never mean someone who has the luxury to pick up a game like POE and play it, would respectively agree with the fact that they are comparable to todays standards of gaming.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Also this is coming from a 24 year old. No way in hell i was picking up D2 at 4 years old and had any type of success. I played it from about 10-18 on and off, once you really got into the game and understood how to grind and find great items and create crazy good runewords you could easily become one of the richest players simply off RNG.
Last edited by greeenmartian on Jul 21, 2013, 1:45:33 AM
I really like the sound of this "Titian Quest" game. There's nowhere near enough ARPGs about fine art.
I'm Chimerical Jim. Softcore. Hardcore. Manticore.
"
CaptinSupreem wrote:
"
greeenmartian wrote:
So just to chime in on this topic because i find it very interesting from a personal standpoint.

I used to play Diablo 2 for a long time back in the day and it was by far one of the greatest games on PC along with old school ultima online that i personally have ever played during its time to be simply AMAZING.

Now a days, these new games such as League of Legends, Path of Exile's , World of Warcrafts .. have taken gaming to a whole new level where it previously was just not even capable of going (as far as graphics and systems that can be developed for games now).

So to get to the point, i compare these games to those of console gaming.

Golden Eye could possibly be one of the greatest first person shooters of all time... simply because it invented what first person shooting is and will forever be today. Call of duty 4 then took everything it learned from Golden Eye and created one of the all time greatest online shooting games that ever surfaced during its time. Yet if you tell someone TODAY , who has never played golden eye to pick up the game and try it because YOU personally knew just how badass that game was when you were like 10 years old.. they would play it for 5 minutes and look at you like your simply an idiot.

Diablo 2 during its time , and even still today for some people who truly knew it for what it was .. will forever be the platform of which every ARPG will look at and understand as being one of the greatest to ever do it. That will never mean someone who has the luxury to pick up a game like POE and play it, would respectively agree with the fact that they are comparable to todays standards of gaming.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Also this is coming from a 24 year old. No way in hell i was picking up D2 at 4 years old and had any type of success. I played it from about 10-18 on and off, once you really got into the game and understood how to grind and find great items and create crazy good runewords you could easily become one of the richest players simply off RNG.

Whoa there, son, I think you mean Doom... or at the very least Duke Nukem...

Duke Nukem was great, but didnt have the flexibility golden eye created. Duke is one of the most fun games to run around and kill crap on. Golden Eye got technical and created the platform of which the Call of Duty series based its success on.
I think sir OP is young, not because he hasn't played D2 but because anyone who picks up a game made six million years ago and expects it to stand up to games made in the last five years without requiring a more objective viewpoint must be young at heart.

To appreciate what the D2-philes are going on about requires a modicum of thought and a stance slightly removed, expectations properly adjusted. To pick up D2, play it for a little while and think it "sucks sweaty balls" - besides being transparent trolling - suggests a lack of thought akin to someone playing a Japanese audio novel for the story and then complaining the story was unintelligible, indecipherable and "shit" i.e. DUH.

D2 was good for its time and sparked off a whole genre of spiddly spoo (that's a scientific term for "good shit man") - only a doofus would play it now expecting it to stand up alongside the games of today without some objective viewpoint.
IGN: ScrubcoreRulezBitch
Alt: HardcorePwnsScrubcore
"
CaptinSupreem wrote:
"
greeenmartian wrote:

Duke Nukem was great, but didnt have the flexibility golden eye created. Duke is one of the most fun games to run around and kill crap on. Golden Eye got technical and created the platform of which the Call of Duty series based its success on.

I think you missed it a second time. Here it is again:

"
Golden Eye could possibly be one of the greatest first person shooters of all time... simply because it invented what first person shooting is

Wolfenstein 3D. Hell yes.
"
CaptinSupreem wrote:
"
greeenmartian wrote:

I think you missed it a second time. Here it is again:

"
Golden Eye could possibly be one of the greatest first person shooters of all time... simply because it invented what first person shooting is

Again you missed the point of the POST, if you want to argue schematics of who truly invented first person shooting thats a conversation in itself. It's not about hijacking his thread its about comparing games that set a platform 10-15-20 years ago that today are looked at and envied for the success they had with so little. If you would have continued that bold text you were so anxious to point out to me it would have read, what first person shooting is and will forever be today. Its a linked statement, not that they simply invented first person shooting, but the platform of which it is today. The idea that someone created a dot on a screen where everything follows was fantastic, that was the invention. Never did i say they were the first to achieve that goal.

Edit: Just like diablo 2 is not the first ARPG .. yet it created the platform of which POE exists. Its the most recognizable figure in that specific industry prior to POE existing, as was golden eye before games like COD and Halo started hitting the market ( you could even throw in tom clancys and such but those are more honorable mentions as far as how much true success they had ).
Last edited by greeenmartian on Jul 21, 2013, 2:05:56 AM
Its funny how people limit them selves on certain kind of game and call other style crappy or childish or dunno.Im 24 and i love Dragon Age(first game) for its story and gameplay,i love Witcher games,Neverwinter Nights and elder scrolls,i love D2 and Planescape torment and my favorite game of all time is FF7.All of u that call Final Fantasy games childish are childish yourself,Final Fantasy 7 have by far best story ever made in any game but if some of u like more to spam shitty mobs more then for story its your thing but dont call those that prefer good story childish.Its different category of games and gamers have different tastes,like with food and music,u cant call them childish...
"
leighferon wrote:
u need to play planescape torment too...guess what ... holy grails of rpg are coming soon

wasteland 2
Spoiler
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

torment: tides of numenara
Spoiler
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera

Kickstarted ARPGs will never be better than what's already out there now.
"
greeenmartian wrote:

Golden Eye could possibly be one of the greatest first person shooters of all time... simply because it invented what first person shooting is and will forever be today.

Is this a fucking joke or a troll? You can't be that ignorant.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info