Monster Accuracy and Evasion changes in 0.11.2

"
Athoy wrote:
What?

Yeah, you're right, the main intention of the patch is to buff evasion and change the evasion/accuracy dynamics. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with this change.

But it wasn't me who was mentioning LG, it was Chris. I just pointed out that, and color me sceptical about how this changes the status quo regarding bows (which Chris is implying indirectly). As you said, such a non-LG BiS remains to be seen (or at least is not nearly as c"common" as LG), this is an exceptional situation that pretty much only happens with bows. So yes, it points how much broken is the situation right now, and I doubt the changes are going to shift balance in favour of rare bows.

As for the Vaal pact & crit thing, nothing to be confused about: if you are stacking crit in any meaningful way (a way in which you can outdamage non-crit build with LG) and you want your character to have a chance of survival, you are practically forced to go Vaal pact. Yep, that means building your char for ES (usually respeccing some points when you have the gear to make the change in endgame). What everyone is virtually doing in Onslaught/HC and I guess in Anarchy/Standard too; sure there are some weird exceptions (and bow crit users > bow vaal pact/es users), though I doubt that these characters are higher than lvl 80 and will die sooner or later to reflect or must be some sort of physical damage bow characters which do rather mediocre damage given the lack of support gems to boost physical ranged damage. But that's an other question.
AwesomeGGG
I had a thought on the way home from work after reading some of the responses.

IR + US is, let's be honest, a pretty powerful combo, and for my money, near mandatory if you're planning on doing some serious melee (if you're not planning on critting much). I think part of the power of this combo may be simply due to the Evasion cap - you can't use Evasion to reduce an enemy's chance to hit to less than 5%. I get the sense of that - there should be some semblance of a lucky roll (think natural 20 if you play D&D) - but as has been mentioned, if you focus on evasion, and the target succeeds on the critical check, there's a fair chance of you being one-shotted, which is probably one of the most severely annoying things that could happen in a ARPG (leaving aside the other common complaint).

Having said that, I got to doing a bit of number crunching. Assuming enough guaranteed damage (even after resistances, etc. are calculated) for a one-shot if the swing connects, a character with 95% Evasion chance and 30% Dodge has a roughly 3.5% chance of being killed by that hit (in other words, there's a 3.5% chance that the attacker connects). I'm not going to venture to guess how much damage that would take, and I'm not going to claim full expertise on how the late game runs, but that worries me a little bit with a pure Evasion build.

I don't have the link to the thread where I saw it, but I believe Carl mentioned something about rethinking IR (and no, I didn't get the chance to read the rest of it, so I may be repeating ideas - my apologies if I am). My thought was that instead of having it convert Evasion Rating to armor, have it do this:

- Add a bonus to Physical Damage Reduction equal to about one-third (maybe more, maybe less; I just picked some arbitrary value) of your Evasion Chance when not using a shield
- Lose all Armor and ES (or a good chunk of it, at any rate)

The idea is to incorporate the "glancing blow" suggestion, but keep at least enough of a drawback so that IR + US doesn't make someone an unstoppable beast. (Of course, IR might need to be renamed...)

I'd be curious to see how that would work.
Last edited by rousedg on Jul 12, 2013, 9:28:23 PM
"
knac84 wrote:
As for the Vaal pact & crit thing, nothing to be confused about: if you are stacking crit in any meaningful way (a way in which you can outdamage non-crit build with LG) and you want your character to have a chance of survival, you are practically forced to go Vaal pact. Yep, that means building your char for ES (usually respeccing some points when you have the gear to make the change in endgame). What everyone is virtually doing in Onslaught/HC and I guess in Anarchy/Standard too; sure there are some weird exceptions (and bow crit users > bow vaal pact/es users), though I doubt that these characters are higher than lvl 80 and will die sooner or later to reflect or must be some sort of physical damage bow characters which do rather mediocre damage given the lack of support gems to boost physical ranged damage. But that's an other question.

No, no, no. I am not confused about the synergistic interactions between Vaal Pact and doing large burst damage and/or critting.

I am confused about what does all this you're saying have to do with anything at all. You first talked about how probably only crit-based builds can compete against LG users with a rare bow. Then went on to suggest how crit builds are just as rare as Vaal Pact builds. To this, I responded that based on common sense and educating guessing, crit based builds would be a lot more common compared to Vaal Pact builds since the characters who can (typically) use Vaal Pact are CI while crit builds can be life or CI (or even Vaal Pact characters). Then you went on to talk about "alpha strikes," reflect, and ES/life. Now you're talking about why it's important to have Vaal Pact when using crits in HC (which plays completely differently than SC, of course).

Talk about a series of non-sequiturs and red herrings. In retrospect, I should've never responded to debunk the notion that there are likely more crit based builds than Vaal Pact so this thread doesn't get derailed in the first place.
It should be mandatory for players to have a high level character (88+) and have done the highest level content before they are allowed to post comments about end-game content, end-game balance, and what's "OP"
"
Athoy wrote:
No, no, no. I am not confused about the synergistic interactions between Vaal Pact and doing large burst damage and/or critting.

When considering the life leech return rate, you need to look at the consistency of damage. If you swing and miss (or get a non-crit hit with a large crit multiplier), then swing and crit, you're far more likely to hit the life leech cap than if you never miss and never crit, given the exact same list DPS. This is because the character sheet flattens all your spike damage out, but the life leech return rate does not.

However, I think this is a rather soft synergy, and that even non-critical characters are likely to have leech that surpasses the leech rate; the only point here is that it becomes relevant to critical-based characters sooner.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 13, 2013, 1:15:27 AM
Add more life stats to the duelist part of tree or mix them with some keystones
Шось? (IGN: Owner)
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
This is because the character sheet flattens all your spike damage out, but the life leech return rate does not.

It depends. If you are on full life, obviously you will waste a lot of your leech pool, but the spikiness of your damage output doesn't matter so much. However, as long as you leech enough averaged over time, you'll be gaining a steady 20%/s whenever your life is not full. Think of the leech as going into a giant funnel with a small hole in the bottom, and your life pool as a small bucket underneath. (AFAIK the leech pool has unlimited capacity.) It can only pour out of the leech pool at a fixed rate, but what pours out is only wasted if the life bucket 'overflows', and it can only be wasted at 20%/s, no matter how much you leech at once.

So leech is actually pretty good at dealing with spikes in input (sometimes the steady rate is actually a good thing, as Vaal Pact can waste a lot of leech). It's just not good at dealing with a situation where you spend most of the time on full life, but occasionally get hit heavily.
"
Chris wrote:
"
SavageMinnow wrote:
I don't think this actually does anything about the fact that evasion-based characters get 1shot by enemies with high damage if they land a hit.

This is why we have evasion help mitigate crits. At the end of the day though, the mechanic is designed to be a boolean defense like that. It's certainly something we could change in the future (glancing blows?) but not yet. Please try out the new changes and let us know what you think.

I don't really like the idea of evasion giving some percentage damage reduction, as it overlaps too much with the role of armour/resists. But I do like the idea of characters having access to some sort of 'cheat death' option, where under some restricted circumstances they are reduced to 1hp/0ES from a hit instead of getting 1-shot. This wouldn't have to be tied to Evasion, but it would obviously favour evasive/blocking builds - if you're down to 1hp, evading/dodging/blocking is much more likely to save your life than Armour or resists!
I'm no build technician, but my evasion armoured bow ranger has been doing fine in the cruel levels (bosses and all) till I reached the market place level and the monkey things with puncture damage.
One hit that got past my evasion and all I could do was watch my 1100 health points disappear
If I was a HC player or I had not just leveled the 20 deaths :) would have bothered me.

I though I had read that in past patches, puncture had been reduced and mega heath builds where not as critical.

Can someone explain to a novice if the coming ranger changes will help me in this instance or is my only counter to pile on more health.
How about a node in the ranger area for evasion characters that makes you immune to one-shotting. For example: my char has 100hp, i get hit for 200, instead of dying your health would be reduced to 1hp, or to 10% of max life, make it so this effect could only happen once every 30 seconds or something. This would help alot without changing the essence of dexterity defence

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info