The Lightning Templar [Community Builds]

shoot idk what wrong with mine. i am getting 3-4 shotted by most mob packs. i am 35 using the above tree, taking as much defensive nodes as i can, and wearing level appropriate.
"
kailath wrote:
I've been running this build up til 40, but I have a few questions.

Do you find yourself having mana problems? Perhaps this is a case of me leveling my skill gems too high, my LS is up to level 10 and I can usually spam it off about 5-6 times before I run out of mana. Could I get an idea of how you manage your skill levels to have no problems with mana?

For this build you need really good mana regeneration on your equipment, I am playing a very similar build and my Templar is lvl 68 now, i had major mana issues in the lvl range of 35-45 just due to my gear not having enough mana regeneration.

Also a mana leech support gem is a must have in my opinion.
Yes, this build is very mana heavy -

My current setup offers me good mana regen / and + mana + intelligence.

You will absolutely be mana starved through those levels.
I've been tweaking my build here and there and I am going to suggest going for the 5 cluster of +8% mana nodes near the middle. Not all of them, just a couple or whatever you see fit.

It is very important that you do not over-level clarity - most players will level it just because - You want to have just enough regen to let you spam your skills. If you over level clarity the mana cost becomes WAY to hefty - and that's counter-intuitive to the build.

Thank you Mr_Smith, I've just started using Manaleech/Attack speed in my 6os chest w/ lightning strike, works really well.

IGN Suojata
"
residualshade wrote:
shoot idk what wrong with mine. i am getting 3-4 shotted by most mob packs. i am 35 using the above tree, taking as much defensive nodes as i can, and wearing level appropriate.

Link your current passive build for more help!

You might be stuck (It's happened to me) where you invested too much into damage nodes at the start. You can easily get by this at your level by grouping with other players and allocate your stat points to where you need.
(I just rerolled my character because I wanted to do everything solo)

You may also be too far ahead in the game, and mob levels are too high.
IGN Suojata
Hi, playing a ~ similar build, currently at lvl 37 /w 9 unspent points left.

Current tree:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQUBHRGvtP8VHDfv9OUtEE72Ul0LwSmThx9-CqgxHaoFOlaAyTPV62ALjXzAId7YZqklSwYla-Sv3A74X7IzGpHy2ipDLxGGc4sPf6rIHvnheK9EIAmgjRdiYweMEyyrNRwyu43Thxv8xw_1Lbu8FSHhBM739e9nGuwCrelxrkcR8Io=

Target:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQUBHRGvtP8VHDfv9OUtEE72Ul0LwSmThx9-CqgxHaoFOlaAyTPV62ALjXzAId7YZqklSwYla-Sv3A74X7IzGpHy2ipDLxGGc4sPf6rIHvnheK9EIAmgjRdiYweMEyyrNRwyu43Thxv8xw_1Lbu8FSHhBM739e9nGuwCrelxrkcR8Io63KoVg4Yb2hYJv9LLQR0RIZ10Mi0IFWWt7cD97ucZpi8WZegYXQdYvfupcdiYiOLrVidjH5eALVs8Boyh5oQ1IkJ7l_DdSHSbb0JKojeodsDmWG-KhXQ9BlcPbAGWWiZHEit0nINi2xapnzbNsSBX0TQ91xIhjyPL1RfPMZNJ99M_8HvUi8SrAc44iwDU5OavmKCOK8a8yY-IEVk-wEW7vEfe4P9eeb-Y9YarFgj2HUWPPDf53pAI-uENS3hNAbo=

Is this viable? If so, which part should I go for first, the life/armor nodes near marauder starting point or the dmg nodes above mine? Or maybe the big mace wheel on the lower left? Should I try to include the block chance wheel between templar and marauder (maybe instead of the big mace wheel)? Anything to add/ditch?

Or maybe I should try this instead (less marauder nodes/str/armor, more mana/shield):
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQUBHRGvtP8VHDfv9OUtEE72Ul0LwSmThx9-CqgxHaoFOlaAyTPV62ALjXzAId7YZqklSwYla-Sv3A74X7IzGpHy2ipDLxGGc4sPf6rIHvnheK9EIAmgjRdiYweMEyyrNRwyu43Thxv8xw_1Lbu8FSHhBM739e9nGuwCrelxrkcR8Io63KoVg4Yb2hYJv9LLQR0RIZ10Mi0IFWWt7cD97ucZpi8WZegYXQdYvfupcdiYiOLrVidjH5eALVs8Boyh5oQ1IkJ7l_DdSHSbb0JKojeodsDmWG-KhXQ9BlcPbAGWWiavmKCOK8a8yY-IEVk-wEW7vEfe4P9eeb-Y9YarFgj2HUWPPDf53pAI-uENS3hNAboq6vOPW6lBsciZvQJy0lqlrS2s_Vmzw8irMCrjrHZMVcJ7tnjjwbQHC7z2zj2hNr20s8HOZ-ky1P8_eiMX4RQP_yilDg==

Using lightning strike/tempest shield/double strike/wrath/elemental weakness/fire trap and glacial hammer atm.
Thanks for all suggestions.
Last edited by Tureynul on Aug 18, 2012, 4:31:01 PM
Tureynul,

Your target build is lacking in life and armor, in my opinion (if you intend on being melee that is) you need to grab more life/armor nodes.

I would suggest leaving out the big mace wheel, as you have your templar mace wheel and the mace wheel in the INT side of the tree in your target. Also if you're going that far north on the tree, it might be to your benefit to grab the 3 life nodes/3 Shock nodes. (the ones right below Minion Instability).

I suggest Physical Damage +% support gem with your main skill (Lightning strike) to make up for the lack of +physical/one hand passives that would otherwise boost your damage. At roughly lv 70 you should have close to 70% increased physical through passives - This aswell as the 30% (Base damage from Physical Damage support gem can go up to 50% I believe) effectively doubles your physical damage output. The build posted above, is reliant mainly on elemental not physical. ~70%-100% elemental modifier can be attained through this build aswell as equips, giving you your edge. Wrath grants + Lightning Damage which is affected by element mods, Lightning Strike, Tempest shield - all affected by element mods.

Do remember that lightning damage causes shock - this effect can be stacked 3 times for 40% per stack. An enemy with 3 stacks will thus take 220% damage from attacks. This is why I have built this build around survival and not a complete cookie cutter.

On that note, do as you please, but if you feel you're being bulldozed by mobs / need mana / lack damage / lack elemental damage - then take note of it and assign your skills to what you feel is lacking.

thanks,
mat.

IGN Suojata
I'd drop the 3 increased mana skills, after using some many different witch builds its not about how much mana
you have but how fast u can regen mana. I use 4 different
auras leaves me with just under 200 mana left after they are equip. It regens so fast it doesn't affect me.

Question

For lighting strike does increased dmg for mace increased the dmg of lighting strike or is it better go head over
to the witch side and grab increased lighting dmg|?
Last edited by streamIX0 on Aug 19, 2012, 10:15:51 AM
"
streamIX0 wrote:

Question

For lighting strike does increased dmg for mace increased the dmg of lighting strike or is it better go head over
to the witch side and grab increased lighting dmg|?

The Mace Nodes only increase physical damage dealt with maces, Lightning strike converts the physical damage done by the mace to a mix of physical and lightning damage.

I believe it also depends on the support gems you are using but in my case the lightning damage is much higher than the physical damage, making lightning damage nodes more viable.
Yes, your physical damage is less viable than your lightning/element nodes - I would suggest staying away from the witch's end of things as you will lose your defensive nodes. I would head towards the center, where there are many strength nodes (Which buff Tempest shield due to Iron Will), 4 One hand damage nodes (Physical), and another 30% increase on your elemental damage.

Just my opinion though..

As for the mana nodes I agree it is based on your regen - which is heavily based on your items & Clarity. With mo regen from items and tempest shield taking ~2x% & Wrath taking 1xx of your mana pool this leaves you little mana to accommodate a high enough leveled clarity.

At lvl 50 I had roughly 400 mana. We'll round our numbers.

29% From tempest shield leaves me with 300.
100 Reserved from Wrath - 200.

Lightning Strike costs me roughly 40 per cast with all gems. Giving me 5 casts without clarity to play with my main skill.

at 1.5 APS, I drain 60~ mana per second
IF you do have average regen/mana gear, you should be sitting at around 10-15 mana per/s - Factor in mana leech (2% @ lvl 10), we'll say 1k dps per hit = 20 mana per strike. Mana leech isn't always dependable as it counts only on hit remember. This lands you at 35 mana per second.

Without gear you would at least hit 20 mana per second with clarity.
Clarity at lvl. 13 reserves 300 (x80% from Mana Reduc gives us 240) and regens 17.5 mana per/s.

My mana pool has now become insufficient to support my 3 auras.

This is why I added the mana 8% passives In-case one finds themselves out-right starved. One should still be holding at least 12 respec points and should have the access to Regret's. Since these passives can be removed easily it makes a good prevention for lacking mana.

I would also like to note that these mana passives sit directly on the path to more armor/life/phys/element/str nodes which all affect your dps and survival.

IGN Suojata
"
Yes, your physical damage is less viable than your lightning/element nodes - I would suggest staying away from the witch's end of things as you will lose your defensive nodes. I would head towards the center, where there are many strength nodes (Which buff Tempest shield due to Iron Will), 4 One hand damage nodes (Physical), and another 30% increase on your elemental damage.

You can easily take the skill highway to lightning walker and get 18% increased lightning damage with just 7 skill points.

That may be something you can delay until you've got a decent amount of survivability but its still a viable option to consider.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info