[2.4] How to smash Heads. Extremely detailed guide about the Facebreaker gloves and builds!

Hi, I'm a newb at skilltrees and was wondering if I could get your opinion on this face breaker infernal blow build for 1.3.

Spoiler
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/
AAAAAgQAFey5HYrwhNnBgi_MYux07YTvBS1gS
14TQKDAvzJOqZWsrwz3Xz_vDhQg5FFQRxo-eT
l-4oIH2XzYvTWStfJo8qIA8B_AZgSzBjkki_u
q8wZRYOw4GjiQVScvgpvyL_ZIcqn3MnzZz352
rOoY-OsUcTpSDjykGbYsJd8b-ryfGJGGYG6qS
shHfr02ZU2-p-9OYVIblxm0ytMs6RUgIuIqTT
8n0TYJM-IsR-LQgaQ58kHp1Z7N0iHEWCfVsUL
zEXGFwBo62Hy7r2zFiozPxPY9D8SCsKu2ij38
WGPG2A==
Last edited by Goyn on Dec 11, 2014, 8:09:29 AM
Well it looks ok, i have a couple of concerns tho.
1st - i really don't think that the Soul and Steel circle is worth the 4 passive skill points invested in it
2st - the taken root ( on the bottom left ) seems inefficient to me
3th - i don't think that celestial punishment is worth the 4 points invested in it. The elemental damage nodes will increase only part of your damage and i don't see how the 30% increased damage vs frozen/chilled/ignited damage has any usefulness .. you can ignite monsters only with Herald of Ash but usually there is nothing left to ignite, or if there is it dies quickly afterwards.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Concerning the two new reactive gems, what would be the best use in our facebreaker builds ?

"
Added a new Strength Skill - Reckoning: Perform a swift counter-attack against enemies in a cone shape when you block with your shield. (Available from the Intruders in Black quest for the Templar, Marauder, Duelist, Ranger and Scion.)

Added a new Strength Skill - Vengeance: Chance to perform a swift counter-attack against all enemies around you when you are hit. Weapon range increases the area of this attack. (Available from the Lost in Love quest for the Templar, Marauder and Duelist.)

What gems setup would be optimal ?

And also, is this gem could be useful ?

"
Added a new Intelligence/Strength support gem - Physical to Lightning. (Available from the Sharp and Cruel quest for the Templar, Shadow and Scion).
Help me complete my unique collection: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/335591

IGN: CGT_FR
Last edited by Borow on Dec 11, 2014, 11:44:28 AM
"
Borow wrote:
Concerning the two new reactive gems, what would be the best use in our facebreaker builds ?

"
Added a new Strength Skill - Reckoning: Perform a swift counter-attack against enemies in a cone shape when you block with your shield. (Available from the Intruders in Black quest for the Templar, Marauder, Duelist, Ranger and Scion.)

Added a new Strength Skill - Vengeance: Chance to perform a swift counter-attack against all enemies around you when you are hit. Weapon range increases the area of this attack. (Available from the Lost in Love quest for the Templar, Marauder and Duelist.)

"
Added a new Intelligence/Strength support gem - Physical to Lightning. (Available from the Sharp and Cruel quest for the Templar, Shadow and Scion).

There is no guarantee those skills will be available for facebreakers. If shield charge and leap slam don't work i doubt these new ones will either.
Note that the description says nothing about using weapons, so it should be available ;)
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
I really doubt that it would be available for unarmed ... Rory already said that there are no unarmed skills in 1.3 ... but will see ... i'm still not sure about how they will work ... will they freeze you in one place ? Override your cycloning? it's early to say ... we'll know for sure soon tho :)

About the support gem ... from what i understand it will be a simple damage conversion ... so i doubt that it will be useful for a FB build ... after all physical damage > lightning damage in this case.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
"
Borow wrote:

"

"

I doubt that Vengeance or Reckoning will be at all helpful, even if it does work for unarmed. For starters, where are you going to slot that gem and support it? With a Bringer of Rain setup (which I suspect will dominate Facebreaker builds with the block nerf), you're already down 9 gem slots (6 from your chest, 3 from weapon). That leaves you with:

Head Slot: 4 Link - This is your Main Attack skill with a Bringer of Rain setup.
Shield: 3 Link - Utility Links
Gloves: 4 Link. - Aura or CWDT + Immortal Call + Supports
Boots: 4 Link - Aura or CWDT + Immortal Call + Supports

You can give up your utility links in the shield, but a 3 link attack skill is going to be pretty much pointless.

If you're running Abyssus, then you gain a 4 Link in your Head Slot (assuming your primary attack skill is in your chest slot). It might work okay there, but I'm doubtful a 4 link reactive attack will be worth giving up, say, a Level 20 CWDT + Immortal Call setup. Especially with lowered block.
My Builds:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1739942 - Flee the Fire! Fireball / Flameblast Sire of Shards Chieftain
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1572176 - Chill and Breathe: An Arctic Breath Totem Build
Last edited by Eustacio on Dec 11, 2014, 3:30:47 PM
Regarding BoR. I'm considering to start using legacy BoR instead of my Abyssus + 6L Carcass Jack.
With the abyssus i'll have A LOT more damage .. especially now with all the extra damage from the 1.3 tree, and i'll have bigger AoE radius, and i'll probably save 1 passive skill point ( due to the resistances of the chest )
On the other hand with BoR i'll have more block , i won't take extra damage from physical damage and i'll have more life.

Now i guess the first question is do i need the really big DPS boost that Abyssus provides? The answer is most likely "no" ... the second question is - do i really want that extra DPS? The answer is most likely "yes"!

I guess i'll have to test both options to see ...
Any thoughts?

EDIT:
at the moment my cyclone DPS is:
With legacy BoR - 29409
With Abyssus + 6L Carcass Jack - 43337

with the 1.3 skill tree i can expect around 20% damage increase so .. around 34-35k DPS with BoR and around 52k With Abyssus .. the difference is big .
Last edited by KorgothBG on Dec 11, 2014, 4:03:39 PM
I did the math on my Infernal Blow build. I am currently using a Level 20 Hatred aura. All gems (IB, Multistrike, Added Fire, Faster Attacks, Melee Physical Damage, and Melee Splash) are at 20/20.

I am also using a Legacy Bringer of Rain, as that's what I have. I expect the difference to be even larger in new leagues and/or if you don't have a legacy Bringer of Rain. I am also getting a total of 26-52 Added Physical damage from my two rings and amulet. Meginord's is assumed for all builds.

Current DPS
Abyssus: 50,838.1 DPS
Bringer of Rain: 34,525.9 DPS
Difference: 15,276.9 DPS

Impact of a 10% Increased Physical Damage Node.
Abyssus: 1,035.3 DPS
Bringer of Rain: 736.1 DPS

Number of additional 10% Increased Physical Damage nodes needed to bring BoR up to Abyssus Levels:

15276.9 / 736.1 = 20.8.

Conclusion:

You will need approximately 208% additional Increased Physical Damage nodes from the tree (that's in addition to however much you get in the tree now) to bring a Bringer of Rain build's DPS up to the level of the Abyssus. Now, we're definitely getting A LOT more DPS in the tree, especially for the Duelists out there. But I think it will be very hard to hit pre-1.3 levels of Abyssus Facebreaker DPS using a BoR setup. It'll be tough to really come close, even.

*EDIT* Minor edits to clarify what gear I am using. I've put a lot of my Standard currency into this build. The raw numbers will drop, but the percentages should remain similar for non-legacy builds.
My Builds:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1739942 - Flee the Fire! Fireball / Flameblast Sire of Shards Chieftain
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1572176 - Chill and Breathe: An Arctic Breath Totem Build
Last edited by Eustacio on Dec 11, 2014, 4:23:48 PM
Can you still geht 75% block with abyssus vor BOR?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info