Looting -- The official thread for discussing the loot system. Updated 18th March, 2013.

"
Fluffy wrote:
And will ranged character damage output be adjusted to compensate for the additional amount of time they spend running to and back from loot drops? Will they get a defence boost or something while loot is timing out to allow them to run into melee range to pick up their loot before a tank in the party steals it?

Let's see here... for "defense boost", we can have "not getting hit for the entirety of the battle up until now" (see also: 100% damage reduction), and for "damage output", are the monsters dead or not? If so, you've clearly done enough damage, and if not, how is the tank any less occupied than you?

"
Fluffy wrote:
Anyhow allocated loot with a time out to poof or someone else stealing it is such a thoroughly duff idea I can't be bothered with discussing ways of trying to fix the side issues it creates.

"duff"? Not familiar with the term, but the rest of this sentence makes it sound like you weren't really serious about this suggestion.
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
"
Skivverus wrote:
Let's see here... for "defense boost", we can have "not getting hit for the entirety of the battle up until now" (see also: 100% damage reduction).

That's a good point. The witch will have her energy shield so she can take damage without actually losing life. The ranger has evasion so most of the attacks against him will probably miss.

I think to some degree people need to realize that this is how the game is going to be. You can either adjust your playstyle and character build to accommodate that or you could not and complain how the game wasn't specifically tailored to you. There's a difference between giving feedback for a game and trying to change the game completely to suit yourself.
Forum Sheriff
"
tpapp157 wrote:
I think to some degree people need to realize that this is how the game is going to be.

I get that. The thing is, though, that the consequences of this loot system are severe enough in many people's eyes that, when considering how simple an idea it is to offer this play style AND include options for the more cooperative-minded players, it seems rather silly that those options are not exercised.

Support FFA loot for the people who want it. But an option to define a loot option on game creation, such as need-or-greed rolling (or anything that promotes cooperative play), would help to keep the non-FFA crowd from becoming a bunch of smaller communities insulating themselves from rampant greed-clicking.
For me would good there no boost items. If you found items on level 50. you cant use them on level 19 or level 12.

Items would be good to add socktet or take away bad gems or runes =)

I am veteran i have follow Poe sense November 2010.
saying that people need to accept that "this is how the game is going to be" befor beta has been announced is dumb. i cant think of a kinder way to word it.

this topic has the biggest threat in the developer discussion section of the games website. how can this decision be final and rock solid win they say its anything but that.

"This is a concept based on feedback only. It's not locked in stone, but we like the direction it's going in."

giving the group leader the ability to decide what loot style will be used would be a much better then the allocation timer solution. this would partially split the community but its better then having isolationist groups of friends and guilds who never play with people from outside.
"
Starzon29 wrote:
For me would good there no boost items. If you found items on level 50. you cant use them on level 19 or level 12.
Totally agree with this
I agree that the best combination would probably be letting the party leader select:

Pass/Need/Greed style rolling XOR timer-biased FFA.

I think it's important for those that wish to work together not to have to experience 'friends' ganking loot on the ground if they don't want to.

The auto-grouping feature, if there is one, should then allow you to select the type of loot style you'd like to join.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
If a choice is offered people will choose the easiest options which is the allocated loot. It has the least risk associated with it and you don't need to worry about anything. Unfortunately it's also the least interesting and most mindless option.

This is another one of those things where you need to make the best decision for the game and not necessarily what people say they want. People would have the loot automatically placed into their inventory if they could. Several people mentioned they wanted auto pickup shortcuts which is just stupid.
Forum Sheriff
I admit, I really really hate it when someone else picks up my loot because he has better ping then me.
If he gets there before me and picks it up. Good on him. I congratulate him because he would feel the exact same way if I got his loot before him. And we all would if we could.

Now if they introducted a way of compensating for players ping, then all thats left is to get some reflexes so you can get the loot first.

There are alot of different situations that the players can be in. You cant just think about one situation where the archer and witch is at a disadvantage because that can change. Thats the fun of the game. Everything's so dynamic. I can just attack monsters in another direction where theres no other players standing and suddenly everyone else is at a disadvantage.

The warrior is attacking a goblin. The witch gets the final hit and kills it first but the witch is on the other side of the screen. The warrior tries to pickup a gem that dropped but cant because of range compensation.

The Pass/Need/Greed system just wouldnt work. If you cant handle someone else picking up an item before you, get faster.
In an FPS if someone kills you, do you turn on an aimbot and wallhax because hes got better reactions then you today?

This
"
tpapp157 wrote:
If a choice is offered people will choose the easiest options which is the allocated loot. It has the least risk associated with it and you don't need to worry about anything. Unfortunately it's also the least interesting and most mindless option.

This is another one of those things where you need to make the best decision for the game and not necessarily what people say they want. People would have the loot automatically placed into their inventory if they could. Several people mentioned they wanted auto pickup shortcuts which is just stupid.

One of the biggest problems probably hasn't even been discussed yet... cooperative boss killing with FFA loot = people camping near the end life attempting to get others killed so they can take it.

If you can sit on your hands for a bit, get into a better position to loot, and increase the chance of someone else dying, you win :P

I don't know if the players will be able to self-police this, but it's an issue that FFA loot causes in a co-op game... getting the boss low on hp and then quitting the fight.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info