We initially announced that looting is free-for-all in Path of Exile. Players would be able to see and pick up any items that dropped.
It's important to us that Path of Exile has a cut-throat feel where players are not only competing against monsters, but also their fellow players. We do not feel it is an option to arbitrarily hide items from players who have not been allocated them.
As we saw here and here, many players really objected to this.
Several legitimate problems with free-for-all looting were raised:
- Ranged players are unable to get to the items in time.
- Items might just get scooped up by one player with substantially lower latency than the other players.
Over the past few months we've thought long and hard about this topic, and have come up with a system that we feel captures the cut-throat feel that we're trying to go for, but helps mitigate the valid complaints.
We're proposing the following system:
- All white text items are free-for-all.
- All magic/rare/unique/currency/gem items are allocated to a nearby player for a very small amount of time.
- All players can see the item, and a countdown of how much time remains until it's available to anyone is shown.
- The allocation time is intended to be very small (enough time to compensate for a little latency, reaction time and travel distance). We're thinking a base time of something in the order of 1 second when standing next to the item.
- The time would be increased by the time it takes for the character to run to the item. An item allocated to a ranged player might unallocate after two seconds, for example.
- It's important that the time is low enough that the player can only get the item if they are paying attention and make an effort to immediately grab it.
- The allocation times can be lower or non-existent in hardcore or cut-throat leagues.
Players who wanted an allocated looting system will hopefully be happy that this system mitigates item loss due to latency and travel distance.
Players who wanted a free-for-all looting system will hopefully be pleased - with this system they can take any item they want if the allocated player is not paying attention to the drops.
This is a concept based on feedback only. It's not locked in stone, but we like the direction it's going in.
What do you guys think about this suggestion? Please don't just post "allocated sucks", or "I won't play if it's free-for-all".
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/268683/page/1 represents the current state of the loot system. On behalf of GGG, thank you all for your feedback. Please note that as we are still in beta, these changes are still subject to feedback and modification. Any feedback you have about the new loot system should be made in the linked thread, because that is the one the devs will be reading. Not this one. -- Charan