--nosound and perormance issues on maps

thanks! greatly improved the fps but still having fps drops occasionally. what i did instead of losing audio cues from the game i enabled the sound again by removing --nosound then i disabled ambient sound, dialogue, music volume and reverb. you can do this by going to documents, my games folder, path of exile, then open production_Config. then set the sound as follows.

ambient_sound_volume=false
dialogue_sound_volume=false
music_volume=false
mute_in_background=true
reverb_enabled=false
sound_effects_volume=50

(sound_effects_volume could be any value 1-100. Don't adjust the sound you disabled on game it will have values again)

Last edited by burperusmaximus on Aug 29, 2013, 11:41:47 PM
"
music_volume=false
mute_in_background=true
reverb_enabled=false
sound_effects_volume=50

Thanx! This help a lot, i had had 4-7 fps at Dominus and now 14.
Not good still, but better and playable yet.
=*v*=
Last edited by hrafnain on Jan 9, 2014, 3:56:02 PM
"
hrafnain wrote:
"
music_volume=false
mute_in_background=true
reverb_enabled=false
sound_effects_volume=50

Thanx! This help a lot, i had had 4-7 fps at Dominus and now 14.
Not good still, but better and playable yet.

Just out of curiosity, no hating or whatever, but on what kind of systems are guys like you playing this game ? Because I have a decent but not beast PC, and I never have issues like this, and I often read people having problems with PoE regarding in game performances when I almost never had. Also, I often see screenshots on Reddit with in-game video settings that make my old Golden Axe on MS DOS look like Crisis 23 in 2050. My specs are : SSD, GTX660, i5 2500k, 8 Gb RAM, Win 7 as OS.

Anyway, it's a nice thing this little trick can help you guys out.
IGN : @Morgoth
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Sep 28, 2014, 6:01:35 PM
Holy shit...

I couldn't run this game with shadows/AA without getting severe fps drops in many situations.

With --nosound I can run this game maxed at 60fps with no drops.

That being said no sound sours the experience a lot, i like hearing the jingles when good loot drops; but there is no way I can go back to the spikey experience the game was before.

Load times are also ridiculously fast, <1s for everything now when it was ~5 for everything before.

Really hope GGG notices this and tries to optimize the sound in this game.

ATI 7950
i7 860

With Poe running on an ssd.
Last edited by Hybrid897 on Sep 28, 2014, 7:03:12 PM
No sound reduced my load times from upward of 2 to 3 minutes when loading the game initially to less then thirty seconds. Also the game is smoother and things such as devourers, leveling up, or boxes no longer freeze me for a second or two like they do with sound.
"Do or do not, there is no try."
This fix provides an amazing difference in quality of gaming.

The game had become essentially unplayable for me due to frustration with FPS issues/ lag/ desync and generally high waits for loading screens. Booting the game used to take well over a minute, more lately several minutes. After applying the --softwareaudio switch, the game boots in about five seconds and there's no loading between screens once in-game.

My laptop, purchased Oct. 2012, is running 64-bit Win7SP1. Hardware specs follow:

Asus A75V
Model: A75V
MB Ver.K75VM
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz x 4 physical cores (8 virtual cores)
Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (4GB+4GB/ 7.89 GB usable) DDR3, 1600MHz PC3-12800
HDD1: Toshiba 750GB, SATA 3.0 Gbps --> Steam runs here
HDD2: Crucial M500 2.5" SSD, 7mm, SATA 6.0Gbps --> OS runs here
Graphics Dedicated Graphics
GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Video Memory 2GB VRAM

Thanks for finding this fix. I hope GGG is able to solve the issue with this new information.
I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile opened the properties but it will not let me edit anything...I made sure the read only is not checked. Am i missing something? How can i edit this for no sound.
"
Arkbolt wrote:
I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile opened the properties but it will not let me edit anything...I made sure the read only is not checked. Am i missing something? How can i edit this for no sound.

Argument must be added to the shortcut "target" tab (or steam launch options) but not to the .exe itself. If you don't have one, just create new with right click -> Create shortcut. For standalone client path should look like:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\PathOfExile.exe" -ns
(with quotes if contains spaces).
Last edited by Arida on Sep 29, 2014, 4:47:30 AM
Yes! that worked thank you so much Arida and OP, this is great! Thanks again.
I refuse to play without sound, but the --nosound switch DRASTICALLY improved my load times, and as others have said opening boxes and things didn't freeze my screen anymore.

GGG really needs to do everything they can to look into this because I have friends that have quit because of how poorly this game runs while looking like it does (massive FPS dips and freezing etc.) and that's not good for anyone.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info