Is this game worth paying for?

I paid $10 to get into the beta, and I have absolutely no regrets at all. In fact, I'm sure I'll be spending more money on the game even after it goes free-to-play.

Recently I added up the playtime on all my characters using the /played command. So far I have gotten 180 hours of gameplay and I keep coming back for more every single day. 180 hours for a $10 game. That should tell you all you need to know.

But to tell you a bit more: I'm very picky about what games I play. For years now I have been buying game after game on services like Steam, getting really good deals, and racking up a very large game collection. I have also tried countless free-to-play games and humble bundles. While some of those games were fun, I would find myself getting bored with them after only a few days.

I think the main reason is this: Over the years games have become more simplified and less challenging. Depth and complexity is avoided by all but the most detailed strategy games, and challenging gameplay is frowned upon because so many gamers expect to be able to beat every game they play. Path of Exile takes me back to my earliest gaming memories, where death was around every corner. Where I actually had to make tough choices and do a little research to understand how parts of the game worked, instead of being spoon-fed all the information and not having to use my intellect.

Path of Exile has everything I need to keep me hooked: Challenging gameplay, complexity, the best "multiclassing" system I've ever seen, randomized items that are actually interesting, and tons of replayability.
no regrets, this game is absolutely fantastic
is it worth paying for? yes, and not just to get into the beta

I had 3 keys before they even offered the support packs.

I felt the game was so good and has so much promise that after they offered the support packs, I bought the highest one I could afford in order to support this awesome game :)
Buy this game even before you buy food for your kids, it's that good.

Seriously though, this game is probably the best in the ARPG genre I have ever played and it's still in Beta. I started with the $10 pack and then upped to the $25 Kiwi Pack.

I would suggest buying the $25 Kiwi Pack as a minimum as they will not be available once OB starts. Soon People will be asking where you got that snappy looking bird following you and you can proudly exclaim I was a Beta Member!
.....And that's all I have to say about that.
"
XvXReaperXvX wrote:
"
SergeantHam wrote:
I am more than happy to support this game by purchasing a pack of some sort but i have a few questions. To those who have payed for a beta key do you have any regrets in doing so and can you see this game expanding to vast horizons? (That is a bit dramatic but i think my point is clear O_O) To those who have been lucky enough to obtain a key for free, would you have paid money for this game and been happy with your choice? That is all for now. Thanks in advance guys :)

I bought the 1k support pack. I have never regretted it once and i have been playing for some time and i still cant stop playing. This game is one of those games that come once every 10-15 years and is remembered and played for much more.

It is a game i will be playing for years, i think you should buy a 10 dollor support key and find out yourself however :)

You must have a serious amount of faith in this game in order to purchase the most expensive pack. Judging by everyones responses in this thread so far, purchasing a beta key seems like the only option. At first i will buy the $10 key and if i love the game i will undoubtedly upgrade. That kiwi is pretty cute and as an aussie i love supporting my NZ buddies ^^. All of you guys seems really nice as well and a friendly community is a huge deal, for me at least. The same goes for the amount of communication between the devs/mods and us. Now i have to decide which class and build to follow haha.
"
SergeantHam wrote:

You must have a serious amount of faith in this game in order to purchase the most expensive pack. Judging by everyones responses in this thread so far, purchasing a beta key seems like the only option. At first i will buy the $10 key and if i love the game i will undoubtedly upgrade. That kiwi is pretty cute and as an aussie i love supporting my NZ buddies ^^. All of you guys seems really nice as well and a friendly community is a huge deal, for me at least. The same goes for the amount of communication between the devs/mods and us. Now i have to decide which class and build to follow haha.

I'm fairly sure that most of the diamonds already had access to the game, of course. Keep in mind that you're not actually purchasing a beta key -- you're purchasing ten dollars' worth of the aesthetic/ethical microtransaction store's credit -- whew, that was a mouthful. But it is the truth: while the main perk of purchasing $10 worth of that store credit is of course the key, for every other package above that, it's more about the other things: showing a little more support, getting more store credit, the kiwi, and at higher levels, physical swag and maybe a few extra keys.

I know at least two of the Diamonds are Australian, myself included. There's a strange camaraderie going on here; I'm really proud of GGG and don't really have much right to be. On the other hand, we stole Sam Neill and Russell Crowe (not so happy to admit that one these days), so maybe somewhere down the track we'll claim GGG by proxy or something. ;)

As for which class and build -- I strongly suggest you have a really good play with the 'Passive Skill Tree' link to the left. The differences between the classes are subtle but significant:

1) you start at different places on the same 'grid': this means that any class can become any build, but that certain classes are more predisposed to doing so, and can achieve it 'earlier'. Given you can get 111 skill points total (and not in this current form of beta -- impossible to reach level 100, I believe), it's very possible that certain builds are only achievable by certain classes, but more broad categories, such as 'mage', 'archer' and 'dual-wielder' are certainly doable as any class

2) the starting stats are slightly different. This won't matter after a while, but at first it can be a bit of a pain if you're determined to use a certain weapon type for your build

and

3) Different gem rewards for certain quests. Most quests give skill gem rewards, and which skills are offered depends on your class. Although skills do drop randomly, this progressive offering simulates a more standard leveling-up process from other ARPGs. On successive playthroughs it won't really matter (I've a terrible habit of taking quest rewards that would suit a different character), but straight off, I think it is important. The Witch will receive mostly blue ('spell') gems; the marauder scores more red gems than any other class.

...Sorry for the long-winded answer (stick around and you'll see their my MO).

Hope to see you in Wraeclast soon enough. :)

Oh, and there are class-specific boards at the bottom of the forum list. They're 'hidden'.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jun 17, 2012, 7:49:50 PM
"

...Sorry for the long-winded answer (stick around and you'll see their my MO).

Bad Charan!
IGN Astramor
Yes.

This game is easily worth $60, even in its current beta state. I've gotten much more out of this game already than I ever did from D3 (which was a huge disappointment).

Protip: Buy a beta key and get a jump start before the game goes Open Beta in August.
"A communion...but with what? By all accounts, it wasn't God that the Vaal were trying to reach." -Icius Perandus
Well I was lucky because I saw a giveaway at mmohut soi got my key there.

But i think it's worth 10 dollars.Or 1k.
Yes, the game is worth $10 -- but seriously, are all the posters on these forums FROM Wraeclast? $10 is just... not that much money. I mean, I work full time, but even when I was 15 years old, that still wasn't that much money. Do some household chores or hit up the GF or something... If you have a computer that can run PoE, and (obviously) an internet connection, then drop the $10 already! You will be glad you did.

Look at it this way: if you play for just 10 hours, that's $1 an hour. That's about as cheap as fun gets these days.

Finally, I am very very happy to support GGG; it helps wash the bad taste out of my mouth that D3 left.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info