0.9.11 Teaser

Also note that this thread exists: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/35356
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Chris is officially on fire. That is very nice to see! A lot of good news flying around.
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
Well looking back GGG stated they wanted to try an end-game challenge level with some sort of cost to get in. Since 0.9.11 has been dubbed the 'end-game' patch, I see this as the implementation of that idea.

My speculation is that these maps will replace the MoC as the highest level areas we will be farming to get the best gear. The cost to get into said level is the cost of the map item itself (will be consumed when opening a portal to the map) and also the cost of upgrading said maps via chisel (to be bigger, higher level, etc). Perhaps higher rarity maps will even end in boss fights or large chests?

Of course these maps probably share the random nature that MoC already has, but maybe there will be unique maps as well. Dungeons crafted specifically for that map with enemies and bosses seen nowhere else? That would be awesome.

<Dregs of Theopolis>
~US Eastern~

*Hardcore PoE fan since September 2, 2010*
very cool cant wait to learn more!
~SotW HC Guild~

YARRRRRRRRRRRRR! Treasures!
This feels like Dragon Quest 9 treasure maps are coming. That game had a great endgame idea of farming for maps. These maps made levels that dropped items ONLY found in them.
great 0./9./12 is close :D
my bet is : secret/bonus maps with better loot etc
My guess is going to be that the map gives small-moderate bonuses to specific drop rates. They would maybe function like D2 charms and one could have one map which increases INT Armors, Staves, and Whetstone drop rates. Another map could give STR weapon bonus, support gems, etc. They would have random mods and be of different rarities, like D2 charms. This would be the solution to the sometimes overly robust itemization of the game.

edit: the endgame thoughts are probably more on track for what these maps actually do, but I will stick by my interpretation if this is part of an unannounced game system.
Last edited by Britannicus on Jun 15, 2012, 5:16:11 PM
Could someone comment on what playthrough the teaser screenshot appears to be? Looks to be at least cruel, but not sure if merciless or later.

I like the torchlight random dungeon idea in principal, but I don't think it meshes well with a new endgame. It would require finding/assembling/upgrading a map to enter a random dungeon, but then after you clear the random dungeon then what? Return to normal content, rinse and repeat? Doesn't sound like a great mechanic. Especially after you out level the regular content.

Would the random dungeon you opened up be permanently available/farmable? I don't think so. If that is the case, it wouldn't work well with quality of maps because if you permanently opened up a certain random dungeon at 5% quality, you might be prohibited from improving or reopening it later at a higher quality. I think we can assume there are different maps, possibly with their own mods. As such, I think they are one and done items.

Maybe the quality of the map impacts the size of a chest at the end?
In Wraeclast, if someone tries to kill you... you just kill them right back.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info