Sony servers are restarting now. They should be back up in approximately .
Sony servers are undergoing maintenance. Some features will be unavailable.

Not as "smooth" as that other game

"
Kaiji wrote:
I'm not speaking for everyone, but I know I'd prefer to play an ARPG that has rock solid movement/combat and have to wait for extra content than to play an ARPG that has a lot of content but clunky movement/combat.

You speak for me at least. Something as fundamental as this is worth delaying the open beta for, imho.
Alteration Orb Union Local #7
I'll smash your nose with 20 Alterations before I'll sell them for 1 lousy Chaos. 16:1. No questions.
I really do agree.

Both competitors to this game, released and unreleased, play much better at this point gameplay wise. However neither of them rival the ideas and aspirations of Path of Exile so I remain optimistic.
"
Chris wrote:
Thanks for the thread, it's very interesting and there are several plans to improve elements of the game to make it feel smoother. Some will come sooner than others, but we'll fit them in.

At the moment, our immediate priorities are on features that greatly affect the economy/balance of the game (the new end-game, PvP, trade, etc) so that we can get those out of the way before we enter Open Beta. Making combat smoother can be done at any time, without requiring that we modify existing items or balance.

<3!! Excellent reply... I trust you guys know what your doing. Glad to know you guys have your priorities straight! Do what you need to do, all we were asking is that this not be ignored.

The only problem is that even though smoothing can be done at any time, first impressions are everything to some people :/ I don't want the public to flood in and get a bad taste in their mouth because of this. This game doesn't need any bad press. Hopefully this is something you guys can get to before release..

GREAT JOB SO FAR - You guys are on the Path to be King of ARPG's.. Stay focused.
GGG doesn't have the $$$ to have real people put on special equipment so they can choreograph every move in the game with a martial artist, companies like blizzard however can.

PoE feels clunky (esp. melee combat) because it is all generated by the computer so it doesn't feel or look like natural movement.
"We believe - so we're misled, we assume - so we're played, we confide - so we're deceived, we trust - so we're betrayed"
As far as combat smootheness is concerned, this thread also had a very useful GGG reply:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/35035/page/4
"
Erik wrote:

We actually do plan to take away some small amount of time at the end (and the beginning) of animations to make them appear smoother when chained together. This will indeed remove the "stop" between animations where the movement slows down at the end of an attack, and winds up at the start of the next. Combined with some some more long term idle pose changes (making them more aggressive), and overall improved animations I am sure PoE combat will be up there!

So hopefully these issues can be put to bed for now.
Last edited by teacherpeter on Jun 16, 2012, 1:09:45 AM
"
As far as combat smootheness is concerned, this thread also had a very useful GGG reply:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/35035/page/4
"
Erik wrote:

We actually do plan to take away some small amount of time at the end (and the beginning) of animations to make them appear smoother when chained together. This will indeed remove the "stop" between animations where the movement slows down at the end of an attack, and winds up at the start of the next. Combined with some some more long term idle pose changes (making them more aggressive), and overall improved animations I am sure PoE combat will be up there!

So hopefully these issues can be put to bed for now.

Agreed. I am finally satisfied with the responses we have got from the Dev's. Great Job GGG you have put our minds at ease. Your Game is Epic, and this polish will make the game so great I don't think I will ever stop playing. I hope you guys give some great aesthetic/cosmetic things at the shop, I feel the need to give you my money!! I need to get a job first :/
My 2 cents on this (well maybe more than 2)

1) If I am holding down a key ( lets say left mouse button) and want to mix in another skill every so often ( right mouse button ) I have to release one for the other to come into play. It has better flow with a queuing method that will let me hold a constant skill and sprinkle in others as I need them. ( Potions already work in the "correct" manner )

2) Collision for mouse on target is very unforgiving. This is probably more of my lack accuracy but a small increase would stop me from moving half a foot rather than attacking the new target I wanted in a swarm. Smaller ( crab / monkeys ) targets are the worst offenders. Not sure if it is size or Z level.

3) Animations are being addressed and a small change for start and stop sounds like it will clean up some of that clunky feeling.

I do understand the push for other features in by open beta but IMHO fixing the combat fluidity is critical.
Last edited by Merlvingian on Jun 16, 2012, 9:05:55 PM
"
Merlvingian wrote:
My 2 cents on this (well maybe more than 2)

1) If I am holding down a key ( lets say left mouse button) and want to mix in another skill every so often ( right mouse button ) I have to release one for the other to come into play. It has better flow with a queuing method that will let me hold a constant skill and sprinkle in others as I need them.

2) Collision for mouse on target is very unforgiving. This is probably more of my lack accuracy but a small increase would stop me from moving half a foot rather than attacking the new target I wanted in a swarm. Smaller ( crab / monkeys ) targets are the worst offenders. Not sure if it is size or Z level.

3) Animations are being addressed and a small change for start and stop sounds like it will clean up some of that clunky feeling.

I do understand the push for other features in by open beta but IMHO fixing the combat fluidity is critical.

I'll add 1 more cent to this.

The snake that slithers in act 2 is somewhat annoying. Maybe I have an irrational fear of snakes, but the way it slithers makes it pretty difficult to target. I don't know if "moves around weirdly so the player can't click on it" counts as a legitimate NPC defense. =S

I just shoot behind it, and hope to god the arrow hits the snake.
IGN: Royal_Princess, Princess_of_Wraeclast, Vaal_Princess, Diamond_Princess
Last edited by ac429 on Jun 16, 2012, 5:07:47 PM
I've been posting about this since long before Diablo 3 came out. Glad that D3 has made others post about it.
Agreed. Not fully responsive.
Dynamic Environment - Day/Night, Rain/Lightning - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/110100

GGG's design philosophy in three words:
Quantity over Quality.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info