Transfigured gems in SSF

Transfigured gems are replacing a whole host of other mechanics that are also highly challenging to make use of in SSF. There are also a very small number of Transfigured gems that are so massively build-enabling that you would target-farm the Lab for them, so not doing Lab isn't actually that restrictive. On top of all that, once you get to endgame you can use the Atlas tree to make more Trials show up and eventually also upgrade them to get Gifts or Dedications instead of Offerings and get significantly more and more varied Divine Font uses.

Lab in general is also just incredibly profitable to farm in SSF. It's level 75 so any ring, amulet, or belt is worth throwing alchs and maybe vaal orbs at and even if you miss you get fodder for Regal recipe. Lab Troves are great for finding useful Div Cards and Currencies as well, and each Lab run usually yields 2-3 Uniques without even assuming you get the Darkshrine giving Izaro a bonus one, so you can also find some really interesting, build enabling items that way, too. All this while actually being almost trivially easy for any build utilizing decent amounts of Regen, ES, or Life Flasks and good movement skills.
"
XCodesLIVE wrote:
Transfigured gems are replacing a whole host of other mechanics that are also highly challenging to make use of in SSF. There are also a very small number of Transfigured gems that are so massively build-enabling that you would target-farm the Lab for them, so not doing Lab isn't actually that restrictive. On top of all that, once you get to endgame you can use the Atlas tree to make more Trials show up and eventually also upgrade them to get Gifts or Dedications instead of Offerings and get significantly more and more varied Divine Font uses.

Lab in general is also just incredibly profitable to farm in SSF. It's level 75 so any ring, amulet, or belt is worth throwing alchs and maybe vaal orbs at and even if you miss you get fodder for Regal recipe. Lab Troves are great for finding useful Div Cards and Currencies as well, and each Lab run usually yields 2-3 Uniques without even assuming you get the Darkshrine giving Izaro a bonus one, so you can also find some really interesting, build enabling items that way, too. All this while actually being almost trivially easy for any build utilizing decent amounts of Regen, ES, or Life Flasks and good movement skills.

"lab for profit in ssf" kek nice meme
"
Ayxera wrote:
"lab for profit in ssf" kek nice meme

Items and currency still have inherent value in SSF, so while 'profit' might not be the best verbiage for what they're describing, it certainly still fits.

"How much value do you generate from running mechanic A over mechanic B" is a fundamental question when you assess how you want to spend your time. In Trade league it is a combination of market and personal value. In SSF you remove the market, but value persists.
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
^to add to that: exactly what HAS value is drastically different in SSF compared to market. Uniques have WAY higher value in SSF. Lower currencies have WAY higher value than upper currencies in SSF. Dropping a divine in SSF is almost always less exciting than dropping 100 alteration orbs for example. Those 100 alts are likely to result in a better item than the divine will yield.

But I agree, there is still "value" in SSF. But there is no sense of profit, or there really shouldn't be any sense of profit. If you are hoarding items in SSF...you are probably doing it wrong. (unless of course you are prepping a new character)
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Jan 21, 2024, 12:59:33 PM
I always hated the lab mechanic since it was invented. Now ggg forces everyone in ssf hc to do it forever - at least just to quality all the skill gems. Run stupid and boring one-shot mechanic over and over. So smart, indeed, we all have so amazing and fun jobs so we need something humiliating and boring after the job in real life. And now even more, to get the skill gem to play with we need to do exactly the same and boring thing literally forever.

After years of playing poe i feel like ssf and especially hc is no more relevant for this game. That is sad, because for many of us it was some kind of challenge, satisfaction, but now the game is balanced only for sc trade. I don't mind, probably it's a progress, who knows. What's the next step ? Resurrect scrolls like in in Undecember for real money ?
Last edited by Barracuda747 on Jan 27, 2024, 2:31:21 PM
+1 to what OP wrote.

Fuck the Lab.
"
Barracuda747 wrote:
I always hated the lab mechanic since it was invented. Now ggg forces everyone in ssf hc to do it forever - at least just to quality all the skill gems. Run stupid and boring one-shot mechanic over and over. So smart, indeed, we all have so amazing and fun jobs so we need something humiliating and boring after the job in real life. And now even more, to get the skill gem to play with we need to do exactly the same and boring thing literally forever.

After years of playing poe i feel like ssf and especially hc is no more relevant for this game. That is sad, because for many of us it was some kind of challenge, satisfaction, but now the game is balanced only for sc trade. I don't mind, probably it's a progress, who knows. What's the next step ? Resurrect scrolls like in in Undecember for real money ?

I mean, if you don't want to spam Lab for gem quality then you can spam Expedition or Delve for GCP's and 20Q your gems the old-fashioned way. While you're there you can also roll some double-corrupts or take a chance at grabbing an Aul's, you just won't get transfigured gems.
I understand the complaints on SSF, but I don't understand why you are blaming the lab specifically for this, unless it's just about having more than 3 chances. It was still rng and you were not guaranteed to get the exact gem you want.

Alt. quality gems were always random in heists. So if you were playing SSF, you would have a lotto there too, I did run a few blueprints for alternate versions of gems. You might have had a few more cases, but you also more gems with alt quality.

Heists were a specific league mechanic that you would need to actively invest in. Now, you can just basically blast through merc lab, even cruel lab would probably work. Any decent character in maps can easily blast through it.

Is running the lab really that much worse for you than heist? I've always hated heist and I'm glad the lab is finally doing something useful while allowing me to ignore heist altogether. Honestly, it was irrelevant after getting ascendancy points, rewards were basically trash below the special offerings.
"
Slicer9875 wrote:
I understand the complaints on SSF, but I don't understand why you are blaming the lab specifically for this, unless it's just about having more than 3 chances. It was still rng and you were not guaranteed to get the exact gem you want.

Alt. quality gems were always random in heists. So if you were playing SSF, you would have a lotto there too, I did run a few blueprints for alternate versions of gems. You might have had a few more cases, but you also more gems with alt quality.
Well, more than one thing can be bad. As I said earlier, "this older system that was removed was also bad in the same way" is entirely consistent with the idea that this system should be changed.

As to why it may be being raised as more of an issue in this case, for my part I would suggest that alt quality gems were, by and large, pretty dull. Mostly a lot of small numeric changes: a bit more crit chance or attack speed or an extra projectile maybm. I used a couple when I ran across them and that was a nice treat, but they mostly didn't do anything interesting enough to seek out, so it didn't remotely matter that it would have been obnoxious to grind for a specific one.

Also personally yes, I like playing Heist substantially more than the lab personally. It holds its challenge better and there's ongoing progression between runs. But I wouldn't put transfigured gems in either of them if it were up to me.
Please fix this.

I just started to play the game in SSF again and after farming Merc lab for 3 hours without getting the gem I want I'm about to quit.

This is absolute mind numbing task and needs to be changed asap.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info