Map Management Resource

Sea witches even though incredibly swarmy, tend to not drop as often as bandits or any other mob from observation.

besides bandits, a large blue pack of skeletons or zombies is the most consistent map dropper. Theres really nothing as enjoyable as killing a 15-20 pack of blue zombies before they can even stand up properly.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
I think this raises a pretty obvious question:

Is there a measurable difference/correlation between the type of monster and the type of loot/maps it can drop? And how far does that rabbit hole go?
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
ive come to the conclusion that magic mobs is terrible. i take almost anything over it at this point
ign: hoya on hardcore
hoya is really shit at mapping
The reason it's listed as good is that magic mobs can drop +1 level maps, and they come in not insignificant packs so that the drop chance actually means something. Not to mention, magic mob XP is better.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
magic mobs has a significant impact in drops and exp trailing only to area/maze and of course the mighty pack size.

rare mobs on the otherhand is awful. on any single map there may be perhaps 10-15 rares if even. even 50% more means only 5 or so more rares.

sadly none of it matters before the base map size and mob size is completely random and at certain extremes even the best map mods will not help much.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Oct 4, 2013, 11:38:30 PM
just got referred to here. thanks for this absolutely stunning compilation of a lot of work and played hours by many!
I'm still trying to create an advisor that answers a questions "should I play or reroll this map". A version 0.0.1a? :)

Please check out this spreadsheet.

You can use online version or download it and modify as you like. In online version all cells but green are locked.

How to use
The spreadsheed can be used in two ways.

"Manual mode" allows you to modify values and immediately get results. This is a good way to play with spreadsheet and formula.

"Automatic mode" is what I intend to use while playing PoE. Rolled a map and can't decide if it's worth playing? Mouse over, ctrl-c, alt-tab, paste map data into big green cell, get an answer!

An answer is given in a form of "minimum map cost in chaos orbs for reroll to be profitable".

On the screenshot I manually entered values from this map:

The answer in the lower-right cell means "if a white crematorium map is worth more that 44 chaos orbs, reroll this maze".

A coves map I copy-pasted from PoE is something that shouldn't be rerolled for sure.

Feel free to ask if something is not clear.

It's easy to create graphs in Excel, so here they are

Formula, algorithm and thoughts
I use nearly the same formula I had a month ago:

Formula
"
SunnyRay wrote:
Adjusted IIQ = (100 + Q) * ((1 + kL * L) * (1 + kS * S / 100) * ((1 + kP * P / 100) * (1 + kM * M / 100) * (1 + I / 100) + kR * R / 100) + kB * B) - 100

Q = map IIQ (including quality)
L = 0, 1 - a maze or not a maze
S = 0, 20-50 - larger area
P = 0, 20-50 - pack size
M = 0, 20-50 - more magic monsters
R = 0, 20-50 - more rare monsters
B = 0, 1 - twinned boss
I = 0 or some multipliers for inhabitation prefixes (-20 for goats, 15 for undead and skeletal, 20 for bandits)

kL = maze multiplier - assuming 0.9 (doubles everything but boss, 1.9 multiplier)
kS = area size multiplier - assuming 1.2 (that is multiplied by 35 on average, resulting in 1.42 multiplier (too low?))
kP = pack size multiplier - assuming 0.6 (that is multiplied by 35 on average, resulting in 1.21 multiplier)
kM = magic monsters multiplier - assuming 0.4 (that is multiplied by 35 on average, resulting in 1.14 multiplier)
kR = rare monsters multiplier - assuming 0.3 (that is multiplied by 35 on average, resulting in 1.105 multiplier; note also that rares don't benefit from pack size and inhabitation mods while magic monsters do)
kB = boss multiplier - assuming 0.1

Most of these values (at least kL, kS, kP) differ from map to map. I assume some arbitrary numbers based on previous discussion for testing purposes.

Algorithm:

1. Read mods from file.
2. Calculate mod probabilities solving several equations (including a system of parametrized cubical equations).
3. Generate all possible prefix combos.
4. Generate all possible suffix combos.
5. Merge prefixes and suffixes to get all possible combos.
6. Calculate adjusted IIQ.
7. Save data.

In steps 3-6 whenever two combos with the same parameters are rolled, they are merged together.
Calculations are performed 4 times: for indoor and outdoor maps, for 0 and 20 quality.
All these takes about half a minute.

It is possible to generate data for different maps using different constants and put everything into a single spreadsheet. I hope to do it later. I also hope to get more feedback on the formula after you "play" with spreadsheet.

The formula is assuming the average value of 35 for pack size and similar mods. I'm not sure it I can generate all possible values, but I gonna try at least some (20, 30, 40, 50 may be). It may change iiq distribution.

Mod frequencies are inaccurate and will probably be even more off after the release. Even the most important probability of the maze mod is guesstimated to be equal to larger area. Should I start a map roll community log later?.. I'm able to automatically process maps copy-pasted from the game client.

Let me explain how "minimum map cost in chaos to reroll" is calculated. First, I assume that if you decide to reroll, you should reroll until rolled better than original. I calculate expected number of chaoses to roll a better map. Then I calculate how big an average relative improvement of that better roll is. Solving a simple equation, I calculate a map cost threshold. For example, if you need 5 chaoses to roll a better map and it adds 10% more drops, it is profitable to reroll a map if it's worth more than 50 chaos orbs.

I'm looking forward to your feedback.
Last edited by SunnyRay on Oct 5, 2013, 7:57:54 PM
This seems like an interesting tool, I only tried it on maps that I deemed worthy of being run and for all of them it agreed with me.
I'll have to get new maps to try it with poor rolls and see what it says.

I was amazed to discover that ctrl-c copies the properties of an item, this obviously makes it much easier and faster to use this spreadsheet.
Descriptions for Acton's Nightmare, Vaults of Atziri and Poorjoy's Asylum have been added. Please do let me know if there are any inconsistencies or errors and I will rectify them.
Would you consider putting unique maps in their own section? I feel that it would work better that way.

Please, please add a note to Vaults that says Rogue Exiles may spawn in here as well!

Beating the Asylum is my next project, by the way. Preferably solo. I've got some ideas.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info