I deleted Path of exile for more reasons and i will never play this game again!

"
Turtledove wrote:
I think the OP makes some good points about PoE weaknesses. I think that they are just not presented well. For example, the OP seems to imply that they are in competition with other players. That really doesn't make sense. I'm not sure that he really means it. Using build guides made by others is extremely common and a very good way to learn the game.

Build guides are absolutely a good way to learn about this or any game. The difference here is that with PoE it is essentially a required part of the learning process while with other games it isn't a necessity. That is a problem.
"
Blortad wrote:
"
Turtledove wrote:
I think the OP makes some good points about PoE weaknesses. I think that they are just not presented well. For example, the OP seems to imply that they are in competition with other players. That really doesn't make sense. I'm not sure that he really means it. Using build guides made by others is extremely common and a very good way to learn the game.

Build guides are absolutely a good way to learn about this or any game. The difference here is that with PoE it is essentially a required part of the learning process while with other games it isn't a necessity. That is a problem.

Agreed. On top of that even after one has learned the game, GGG keeps nerfing and buffing things to keep the game "fresh" but it then requires folks to study patch notes to keep up with the changes.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Turtledove wrote:
"
Blortad wrote:
"
Turtledove wrote:

Agreed. On top of that even after one has learned the game, GGG keeps nerfing and buffing things to keep the game "fresh" but it then requires folks to study patch notes to keep up with the changes.

That too. I am lucky in that my favorite league starter (Carrion Golem) remains largely unchanged league to league but I cannot explain to you the nightmare that was trying to figure out Unarmed, which WAS a build I already knew my way around but at some point it got nerfed into the dirt (down from 12mil dps to 2-3mil) so not only was the build quite different but there were no guides for it that weren't woefully outdated to get me back up to speed. I had to basically wing it and used up something like 300 Regrets and wasted about 20div on gear that ended up not working out and needed to be replaced, and I picked Unarmed for build #2 because it was supposed to be SIMPLER since it lacked weapons and thus was exempt from participation in Crucible. (which is the worst league I have ever played in BY FAR)
As far as having to follow a build guide, you do not have to but in order to learn how to scale a particular type of damage its basically too much trial and error to learn in the span of even a few leagues. Once you know how to scale damage in a few ways by all means stop looking at guides it will make the game a lot more fun.

Also if you get stuck following guides you will find yourself in the "Divine's per Hour" mentality, which is absolutely not a fun way to play the game. Some people absolutely love playing the economy and spend the majority of their time trying to trade up for currency and items, while it is a valid way to play the game, it often gets in the way of others just trying to play the video game like with your unfortunate incident with "the doctor" card.

Trading in general actually brings this game down for me in the long run. It reduces what you find on the ground into what is this worth, rather than what could I do with this.
Scamming was enabled by not having an auction house, quite frankly.

I don't bother with trading much, it's a hassle and it actually keeps me from playing the game.
When was doctor cards even 18 div? Ive been sitting with one listed at 16 for probably 4 weeks and kinda forgot about it.

Seeing as the post was made on the 26th, he never got over that?

Look before you trade, or you will get scammed.

Not really the games vault if you dont read. Or take time to learn how it works. Thousands of people take a little time to learn it. Simply copy/pasting what you see on a yt video of a build and doing what the streamer does isnt going to get you anywhere, that just gets them views, and spoils your experience.

Can never understand why this generation of gamers can't play anything without a guide or reference. Some of the most fun games in history is where you play things at your own pace, discover, experiment and figure stuff out as you go.
Last edited by waiora on May 30, 2023, 4:30:35 PM
"
waiora wrote:
When was doctor cards even 18 div? Ive been sitting with one listed at 16 for probably 4 weeks and kinda forgot about it.

Seeing as the post was made on the 26th, he never got over that?

Look before you trade, or you will get scammed.

Not really the games vault if you dont read. Or take time to learn how it works. Thousands of people take a little time to learn it. Simply copy/pasting what you see on a yt video of a build and doing what the streamer does isnt going to get you anywhere, that just gets them views, and spoils your experience.

Can never understand why this generation of gamers can't play anything without a guide or reference. Some of the most fun games in history is where you play things at your own pace, discover, experiment and figure stuff out as you go.

Ok, boomer.

You literally cant with this game because it doesn't tell you shit and what it DOES tell you is flat out wrong half the time (*cough*broken tooltops*cough). If you try you hit a wall until you take to the wiki.
Last edited by Blortad on May 30, 2023, 10:39:05 PM
"
jsuslak313 wrote:
"
muzein wrote:
Path of Exile is not a game one masters simply by playing the game. I assume this is what people are doing when they identify themselves as "casuals". It's evident if you've been playing for years but still don't understand why 'gear A' is better than 'gear B' for a given build because you have no idea what is scaling the damage or why.

And this quote right here is the MAIN PROBLEM. We aren't talking about mastery!!!!!!!! The goal is not min/maxing. Simple understanding you CAN ABSOLUTELY LEARN just by playing the game. Your first couple of builds will suck. It's a big game, and there is a learning curve. But you CAN LEARN without any kind of 3rd party tools or "looking things up". This game existed long before any of those 3rd party tools were invented and people did just fine. Sure, the overall game is a lot bigger but the underlying mechanics are NOT. Sure, there are advanced concepts that aren't clear in the game: cooldown recovery, defenses, Damage over Time, minions to name a few. But scaling a skill to a comfortable damage level to access all content? It is as simple as matching tags and getting the highest numbers. That is NOT complicated. It's how ALL rpgs work...

There seems to be massive confusion between mastery/mirror tier, and general success. Freaking new players seem to think that they should be entitled to ridiculous, years-long developed levels of power in the span of 3 months. 99% of the builds that are posted that people follow include knowledge and adjustments across YEARS of development. You can bet your ass the game is not going to give you all that up front, its something you earn by putting in the time and being willing to learn and experiment.

THIS is why people think meta builds are the ONLY way to play the game. They want that insane level of power, without any kind of experimentation or learning or failure. There will ALWAYS be a build or two each league that is super easy to play and build. But that severely limits your actual enjoyment of the game, or your ability to "replay" the game as it is designed for you to do. Once you start with broken mechanics you really know nothing about, everything else you try doesn't measure up and you get frustrated, blame the game, and ragequit.

If you don't even try, you learn nothing. If you immediately shoot for the mirrors, you will hit a wall and quit. Literally, in any game that you can buy or play, or even in anything in life: its a process. Older players and well-built guides are made by people who have put in the time and effort to actually play the game, test new things, learn new things, and put those ideas into action. If you as a player would just START by playing the game, rather than READING the game, you would be so much better off and your entire mindset around PoE would be so totally different.

I HATE IT SO MUCH when I watch a streamer tell their audience that new players should find a build they like and follow a guide. Or read posts when players say they got their friend to start playing and they tell them you have to watch this video, or read this guide, or do this build. NO!!!!! Just enjoy the goddamn game and learn by doing. Don't leech off of other people's knowledge until you really need it, because chances are they aren't providing the whole step by step picture of WHERE that knowledge came from and why it works.

THERE is no LEARNING.
Because there is no information exchanged.

Zoned in .. was running , im dead .

what did we learn , seriously you have all the info you need.
Why did i die?
I think the OP has some fair points, this game does have a fairly vertical difficulty curve after the campaign and there's a lot of focus on popular builds, the trade system does unintentionally facilitate scamming since unscrupulous buyers and sellers can "accidentally" swap in other items or short-change you (they've tried it on me), and it's a bit of a shame that console and PC accounts aren't unified, though I suspect that last part may be Microsoft/Sony's fault at least in part (T&Cs).

When I pick up a game I do intend to clear the main content and reach the "end", and with PoE for me that's campaign plus atlas completion and pinnacle bosses each league, then anything else I feel like. I could imagine some (possibly a lot of) players coming from other games thinking this is a reasonable goal, and being disappointed if they can't achieve it with knowledge the game teaches them.
yes trading in this game sucks..

but account data is not shared across platforms?!
didn't know that..

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info