D4 had over 1 million closed beta access players, with multi-millions expected this weekend. Wow.

"
Aragorn14 wrote:
I have no illusions at all. I know I won't be missed. And I don't care. They will still sell millions of copies. Makes no difference to them if I am there or not. It makes a difference to me.

Yet you want to make sure people know it? Uhhh ok....noted.

D4, while casting a larger net, was never going to appeal to everyone, especially not targeting hardcore PoE enjoyers. I'm not sure what your point is. Not that it really matters I guess, you do you. I feel the same way about "why I'm leaving PoE" threads or "I quit" posts in general. They are just venting in most cases, or searching for validation.

A personal malicious attitude toward Blizzard (or any company), is super cringe imo. Creating any ToS cheats, bots/scripts, DDoS attacks, etc..,simply out of spite for a game they don't like, trying to harm them, is so fucking over the top I can't even put it into words properly. The description of your "wrath" says way more about you than the development direction of Diablo that doesnt appeal to you. That's just sad dude.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
I really wish it were someone other than Blizzard making Diablo IV, or some game just like it. Giving them money at this point feels really grotesque. They've still got Kotick around. They're a long way from being a company you can respect and support.

But they're the ones making a game I expect to very much enjoy based on the preview so they're the ones who get the money. It takes a movement to make a difference, and unfortunately there are far more worthy movements out there doing almost no good at all than one you could raise against Blizzard. I do not engage in whataboutism when it comes to consuming because as the very fine show The Good Place pointed out, it is virtually impossible to be 'good' these days in such terms. Were I to deny myself a game I enjoy on moral grounds but then use a phone likely made in a factory with abysmal conditions and get books delivered from a mega-service that is a tiny, weeny step up from modern-day slavery, then I'd be living in denial. We engage with an inherently fucked-up system every day -- might as well do so in a way that brings us personal pleasure without overly supporting one of the more obviously fucked-up parts of said machine.

And anyone, anyone who is going to 'boycott' Diablo IV but would otherwise really enjoy it and still gives money to Tencent through GGG is absolutely a hypocrite.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
I really wish it were someone other than Blizzard making Diablo IV, or some game just like it. Giving them money at this point feels really grotesque. They've still got Kotick around. They're a long way from being a company you can respect and support.

Meh idk. I can separate the detestable, ethically bankrupt CEO, from the rank & file and/or lead devs at a company. Sure Blizzard had/has some egregious frat boy culture (which is rampant especially in tech), and Kotick is nothing to be proud of, but overall I don't see it as atypical for a multi-billion dollar company. We just got a lot more insight than normal in past number of years.

I could use a ton of other similar comparisons that are obvious, from Amazon, to Google, Apple, Nike, and on and on, massive corporations are not the place to go to for solid ethical and moral decison making. (EA, Tencent, Activi$ion, in gaming to name a few)

To your point, boycotting, or having issues with Blizzard directly, while still supporting all these other companies is delusional logic. It's far easier to detach the two imo. 99% of the Diablo team are likely great, from the art team, the cinematic team, to QA, and the rest. Don't punish them because Bobby Kotick...well I don't want to make a personal attack here...but he isnt a good dude by any stretch.

If you don't want to play D4 on substance, that's fine and reasonable. If it's due to some moral position, likely that hypocrisy will prevent anyone from taking it seriously beyond virtue signaling.

Spoiler
Which as we have discussed previously, could just be public facing for optics, but privately the individual plays and supports. Take a look at Hogwarts Legacy recent launch and controversy for example
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Apr 19, 2023, 9:37:32 AM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
A personal malicious attitude toward Blizzard (or any company), is super cringe imo. Creating any ToS cheats, bots/scripts, DDoS attacks, etc..,simply out of spite for a game they don't like, trying to harm them, is so fucking over the top I can't even put it into words properly.

Ditto.

Choose to be part of a community or not to be.

Don't spend your time trying to harm that community just because you don't like whatever decision made by someone who, in all likelihood, is not a member of the community themselves.

Pretty pathetic stuff, to be honest.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
FYI I am not 100% sure Support would consider a 'personal attack on a celebrity' cause for concern. Especially someone as universally reviled as Kotick. But I respect the self-control.

Pathetic's an interesting word. This one time at band camp in Lit Theory, an agonisingly bright colleague of mine said in a presentation that a certain work from the Western literary canon was 'significantly pathetic' and even the professor did a double-take. Really? Everyone just sort of sat there...then said colleague stuttered a bit and clarified, 'I mean it's full of pathos'. That is to say, it evoked pity and/or sadness. Origin in Greek: pathetikos. Capable of feeling. Until the C19th, it really did mean just that, with even some hints of tenderness and concern.

To this day I don't know if my classmate chose the incorrect word or if, much like a bundle of sticks or a feeling joyful, 'pathetic' is a term that has actually warped well beyond its original meaning. But the moment did teach me to think about what it means to be 'pathetic'. Or rather, the gap between what was intended and what was actually said. 'Pitiful' is oddly more accurate to the modern intention and yet obviously derives from 'pity', which is something we typically don't WANT to express for someone or something we consider 'pathetic'.

I suppose we could use the older term 'pathetical' for the original meaning but there's a reason the 'al' got dropped: it is clunky and only marginally useful as a distinction. Can anyone tell me off the top of their head the difference between 'alchemic' and 'alchemical'? Then again, 'physick' gained an 'al' and changed meaning, as did 'magick'. Those aside, I suspect pathetical has gone the way of the dodo, along with such delights as tholian.

I definitely prefer pitiful over pathetic when it comes to expressing my disappointment and disbelief at someone or something's inability to be better. I just can't not hear 'pathos' in 'pathetic' and that isn't what I'm trying to express.

I mean they both contain SOME measure of care because if you didn't care you wouldn't bother saying anything at all. Unfortunately it's impossible to give a wordless, withering glance online, and silence can be attributed to far too many other reasons. Guilty, preoccupied, disinterested, distracted, psychotic episode, divorce court, kindergarten, work, dinner, first date, WoW raid, twitch bender, funeral...dead? All probably more likely candidates than 'poignant disdain'.

Anyway Kotick's a shitbag.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 19, 2023, 10:53:17 PM
"
Sarno wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
A personal malicious attitude toward Blizzard (or any company), is super cringe imo. Creating any ToS cheats, bots/scripts, DDoS attacks, etc..,simply out of spite for a game they don't like, trying to harm them, is so fucking over the top I can't even put it into words properly.

Ditto.

Choose to be part of a community or not to be.

Don't spend your time trying to harm that community just because you don't like whatever decision made by someone who, in all likelihood, is not a member of the community themselves.

Pretty pathetic stuff, to be honest.

ROFL, nice high horse you put yourself on there. It was me and 3 friends, who at the time, were basically done with the game anyway. This was AFTER they had closed all of the trading down. This kept us "playing" together for maybe another month or so, but then we all drifted out of that shit show. D4, to me at least, promises yet more of the same. I have no inclination to go back to it; I won't have any fun. Sure, new shinies, but after a few weeks, nothing. And I won't pay for that again. There are other games I would rather spend my time on, which is what I am doing now.

But sure, just assume you know it all and don't even ask questions and rush to a judgement. Assumption is the mother of all fuckups. I "really" harmed a game and the player base with this one.... God, I really do hate this forum.

It was an exercise in coding for me. I wanted to see how it was done, and frankly, it was surprisingly easy. Each zone had, at most, 5 layouts. Layer the layouts over each other, find the pathing that you wouldn't get stuck on, plugin a few coords with some wiggle room, bam, you're done.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
"
Aragorn14 wrote:
God, I really do hate this forum.

Maybe you should write some scripts and spam the forums then...

Spoiler
/s out of caution because who knows with you

Idk man you wrote what you wrote. You had so much disdain for Diablo that you took out your "wrath" by violating ToS for the luls. Apparently never once considered that the more sane, adult decison, would be to just peace the fuck out of the game and not act ridiculous, or malicious. What was the point? Actually you don't need to answer that, I really really don't care what your motivation was, because it's stupid no matter the "why".
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Apr 20, 2023, 9:44:53 AM
Also it looks like we might see another D4 beta soon!

I'm certain we will find out later today with the Rhyker podcast, but that D4 Twitter post is hype enducing. Hopefully this happens, I need more Sanctuary in my life.

Edit: May 12th-14th "Server Slam" which is amazing marketing lol
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Apr 20, 2023, 2:56:44 PM
The backtrack;

"
Aragorn14 wrote:
It was me and 3 friends

The original statement;

"
Aragorn14 wrote:
As far as D3 went, I actually helped create some of the bots and scripts that people would use for that game.

Yeah… those two comments don’t paint the same picture at all, sorry. You’ve spent years demonstrating that you’re a fluent (likely native) English-speaker; you wouldn’t, in the context of millions of players, speak of “that people would use” to refer to literally < 5 people.

You just wouldn’t.

"
Aragorn14 wrote:
But sure, just assume you know it all and don't even ask questions and rush to a judgement.

Your phrasing left no room for uncertainty. If literally everyone who responded to your comment got the wrong impression, wouldn’t the common denominator be… the comment we’re reading?

Communication is a two-way street. It’s difficult to read the posts and not come away with the impression that you tried to humble-brag that you were contributing towards something (regrettably) widely-used by D3’s community, then reacted caustically to your contributions not being respected.

It would’ve been so easy to simply clarify that you misspoke or phrased something poorly, but… instead we got an emotional response. The lashing out of someone who clearly felt spurned.

If it had been some side-project only used by a handful of people that you weren’t invested in, well.. you wouldn’t be emotionally invested in what the randoms inhabiting another game’s forum think of it. You’d have just dispassionately clarified the misunderstanding.

No - before you ask, I’m not some kind of psychologist. But sometimes people are so transparent you don’t exactly need to be. You’re doing the online equivalent of half-shouting “I don’t care.”
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Also it looks like we might see another D4 beta soon!

I'm certain we will find out later today with the Rhyker podcast, but that D4 Twitter post is hype enducing. Hopefully this happens, I need more Sanctuary in my life lol.

Yep. May 12-14 with the Beta learned changes. Server slam event, as they call.

Will be interesting. But sadge that level 20 is cap in this short event.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Apr 20, 2023, 2:59:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info